Half Marathon Trainers

HMT August thread. (Read 382 times)

We seem to have let the June thread run all through July so it's definitely time to start over!

We must all be too busy to start a new one I suppose......

I have a 5k coming up on the 18th, for which I have done very little training and have not built up a proper base- I hope to run around 23:30 which should be possible if the weather is not too hot. That would be a grade of 68%, or equivalent to 19:04 for a 25 year old. (This stuff becomes important when you are over 60 and your times get slower each year!)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

First HM training for year in terms of decent distance on road. Did 20km in 1:43...bit slow for me and bit of a struggle

Then backed up with 20km on trail day later and went well

Running a tough 22km on trail this saturday complete with 1100m ascent. cant wait. its been wet and its gonna be a wild time :-)

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

So, nothing cures "taking your running too seriously syndrome" like watching a little kids' "track meet".

My daughter, 4, ran the 50m, 100m and 200m. For the 50, she ran right through the finish line and kept going...my wife didn't catch her to tell her to stop until she was around the turn and heading down the backstretch. Funny stuff.

My son, 6, 100m and 200m. Not a competitive bone is his little body, completely oblivious to the fact he was last in both races, jogging them like a victory lap.

Good times.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        vegefrog

Simon, good luck with that 5K! The good think is that it's a little easier to do a 5K with no training then it is to do a half with little training Smile

Kevin, that sounds like a blast!! It's so good for your kids to enjoy themselves out there.

Vino you are a wild man! Sounds like fun running all those trails, but the climbs would kill me!

This month I am starting my marathon training for Kiawah (December 8th). I have a few 5K's scattered about and a half marathon in October. I would love to get under 1:50:00 in that half, so I'm really gonna get serious with my training again.

Since it's so darn hot outside I've been throwing other things in to boost my overall fitness and loose a few extra lbs. I've been doing pilates, swimming and some ab work. I've also been trying to improve my ability to do pull-ups and I'm up to 16!!!!!! I think that's pretty impressive for a gal Wink Last September I couldn't even do one without my husband holding my feet and boosting me up, LOL.

I hope all this cross training will help me out as I start endurance training again.

an amazing likeness

First HM training for year in terms of decent distance on road. Did 20km in 1:43...bit slow for me and bit of a struggle

Then backed up with 20km on trail day later and went well.

So Vino, you pop in out the blue and report that your first half training run for the year was basically to run a half marathon in 1:43. Most people do a bit of build up, you know that....right?  Wink

Running a tough 22km on trail this saturday complete with 1100m ascent. cant wait. its been wet and its gonna be a wild time :-)

And then your next run is 13+ miles in the New Zealand alps....geez.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Back in a big way!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

ahhh.... 10 miler today and it felt good. With a friend, talked the whole way so we were done with 7 before I knew it.

I'm back baby! Smile Ready to add miles and get back to marathon shape.

Hey Strangers!

Just a quick check in to say "Hi". I have been traveling with work for the last 5 weeks and it's all gone a little bit wrong on the running front.

Work's been crazy and I just haven't run. May end up bailing on next weekend's HM... I just have not put in the miles to make it worth starting Sad

A "friend" of mine has entered me for a Triathlon at the end of September, so this last week I have been trying to re-learn how to ride a bike!

Still hoping that work settles down to let things get back to normal but 2012 so far has pretty much been a bust!

Hope y'all are running well. Sounds like most of you are, after a quick "catch up scan" of threads.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
                  1) Run more than 231 miles
                  2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

HappyFeat

Whew! FINALLY, a Matt "sighting!" I was really starting to worry about you, buddy! Welcome back!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

Matt!!! Good luck with the Triathlon.

I think I'm going to head that way after a few more marathons...

I watched the entire Olympic Women's Tri and was very inspired. The Olympic Tri distance doesn't seem so daunting as to be impossible...whereas an Ironman would just be ridiculous.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hey All!

I'm quite tired of the humidity this summer, but I'm getting out for the runs on my training schedule. Some days I feel like I'm never going to see any improvement, but I'm sticking to the training plan. I've broken 1000k which I didn't hit until December last year. The higher mileage has to help. A little more than a month to race day.  

Simon, I can't even imagine being that fast in a 5K.

Vino, I hope the trails continue to be a blast. 

Kev, I hope my kids will run. I think they definitely give you perspective. 

Veg, awesome work on the pullups. 16 is huge!

Matt, lots of time for 2012 to get back on track for you. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

Meg, your mileage has been so steady, I'm impressed! You have really stuck with your training plan and that's going to pay off in a big way. I bet you have a wonderful and speedy half in September!!!

Way to go breaking 1000k!!

I'm trying to get my mileage back up...it's creeping Smile

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

22km 1100m complete. It "only" took 5:15!!!!! Man that was hard but a lot of fun. Some of the guys I go with are stupidly fit!!

One of my favourite trails I was looking forward to training on this summer has just closed because the volcano (Mt Tongariro) it siddles around blew up

Welcome to New Zealand :-)

Right im off for a normal lunch time 7km now

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

vegefrog

Today is my 8th wedding anniversary and my husband got me a GPS watch. I have debated getting one for a while now...I think it will be very useful and fun on tempo runs as I train for my next few races.It's also going to be great for vacations...just heading out the door and being able to run a certain distance without pre-mapping out the route will be so cool.

I don't think I want it with me on long runs though...I'm enjoying just running the miles and not worrying about pace or how far I've gone!!

Happy Anniversary VF!

New toys can be fun, and sounds like you're approaching it with a productive attitude, so very cool.

At some point I'm going to treat myself to a watch with a lap function at least, instead of this chinese walmart jobby I've got now...but I know as soon as I upgrade I'll lose it (which is why I went all walmarty in the first place). I've definitely gotten my $9.92's worth out of it though.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes