Half Marathon Trainers

May training and racing. (Read 47 times)

Hope you don't mind me starting things off for May....

April summary- some knee problems but managed to just clock 200 kilometres or 125 miles so quite satisfied with that.

I have my first race of the year on Sunday so will do little running this week then pick things up next week.

I may run either a 5k or 10k on July 1st. so I will need to do some speedwork over May and June, which I don't mind.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Snickers1230

I'm determined to have a great month!  So I'm starting it off with a run tonight.  Smile

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

redleaf

I had a short run this morning to get Q to day care. Legs are a little tired and neck is stiff from the very hard bed at the hotel but other than that I'm okay.

I'm going to plan out my month this afternoon in advance of the runs at the end of the month.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

HappyFeat

Well I'm not training or racing, but will post anyway! I'm still trying to recover from my hamstring injury that happened on April 20.  I was improving every day until Monday at work when I rolled my ankle and really tweaked the ham. Ran anyway on Monday and Tuesday because it didn't hurt that bad - forgetting I wasn't going to run if it hurt at all - so it's no better now of course. Opted to walk tonight and do yoga. We'll see how it is tomorrow. It's just so darn aggravating. All I want to do is get out there and run! The weather is the best it's been in forever and I'm missing out!!

MTA Thursday a.m.:  Managed to roll my right ankle again last night right before bed and catching myself with the left leg have really super tweaked the left ham now. This is just unbelievable. Guess I'll be walking again tonight.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

hog4life

HF, holly cow! You're going through a rough spell, hang in there.

5 miles for me last night at a park the has a 1.75 mile loop of the crushed, and pack rock. My calves are sore as heck today. Some of the gravel was loose, and I think that's what made the calves hurt.

Zelanie

Looks like normal is still not an option for May.  My knee started to hurt when I hit the 2 mile point on Wednesday, and I stopped pretending it didn't hurt by 2.5 miles.  Got an appointment scheduled for somebody to take a look at it, but not until May 20.  Until then I will walk 20-30 miles a week, foam roll daily, and do myrtls every other day.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

April was more winter and it's only the last two or three days that winter jackets are back in the closet. My mileage isn't where I want it to be for the year and I'm struggling with today's realization that my 1000mile goal for the year is likely out of reach. But I've got a goal for this month and I'm working on that. I want to get geared up for the proper start of half training next month.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jeez HF, you have not had much luck lately! Best wishes.

Mitch and Zelanie, you guys take it easy and recover.

Meg, keep plugging away and don't be discouraged. We went from heating to ac in two days here in Toronto, winter to summer, no spring.

I am bib number 5865 for the Goodlife fitness  half on Sunday, and looking forward to the race.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

DW and I planning to run the 6/2, North Shore HM, Highland Park, IL, which will be our 2nd HM.  We have not registered and will wait until maybe a week before so we can check the weather forecast.   We are fair weather runners, so we will skip it if it's too hot.  We want to run this for fun and  not stress over it.   We will be close to home, won't have any parking problems, and we know the course.   No formal training plan, just our usual daily short/medium runs and a weekly LR and stay healthy.  #1 goal is to finish. PR is a distant #2.

I ran my major race of the year today, in great weather conditions, and came close to my targets of finishing in the top 10% (I was 463rd of 4456) and 1:42. (I finished 41 seconds slower than that goal.)

Overall enjoyed the race and felt it was a decent effort.

an amazing likeness

I ran my major race of the year today, in great weather conditions, and came close to my targets of finishing in the top 10% (I was 463rd of 4456) and 1:42. (I finished 41 seconds slower than that goal.)

Confused  I thought you were shooting for a 10K PR next weekend at the Sporting Life race, Simon?

Anyway...great run, posting a 1:42 and 4th in AG in a 5,000 runner half shows that you've got wheels. Nice race. Since you've been hampered a bit recently in your training, this result shows the old adage of better to show up fresh with a decent base than try to cram in last minute training.

Way to go, that's an impressive result.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hog4life

After yesterday's race in the rain, I had planned to run today, but now it's raining again, so I am staying in the house being a wuss. I should be able to get in a good run on Monday morning before I take a nap. I'm going back to 12 hour night shift this week, so my miles will be low again.

Thanks MT, that had been the original plan.

Mitch I felt sorry for you when I saw the picture of you running in the rain- I have had cold, wet races myself. I do find they bring people together though and can be special in a different way. We all train in that kind of weather from time to time, so I suppose its part of the deal.

You deserve a rest, take it easy!

an amazing likeness

Well, I may have turned the corner injury-wise, I'm cautiously optimistic. Have been able to run a few 10+ mile runs, and string together some weeks in the mid-40s, and yesterday ran a 5K pretty hard and was just tired and sore in tonight's jog. So...hmmm...maybe. Hope to keep it steady-Eddy and get to 180 miles this month, getting back to something near normal.

Good to see CanadianMeg back and emerging from winter...hope you can build on last year's base Meg, you had good results.

HappyFeat -- take care of that hamstring. Here's all that I've learned in the last 6 months:

1. Stop running immediately when pain starts.

2. Take days off until there's no pain on stretching.

3. As the muscle heals, it will be weak and fatigue easily. Walk/jog mix is your friend. Do NOT push through the fatigue / tired...it will snap again.

4. Strength training in addition to stretching.

5. Downhill running is will let you get some miles without loading the hamstring much. (negative incline on treadmill helped me)

6. Dynamic deep squats really help.

The quad, it turns out, is really the enemy of the hamstring. It has the ability to snap the leg extended and overwhelm the hamstring.

Good luck!  Be patient!

hog4life - I seem to run my PRs in cold, wet weather. So don't count them out.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Simon, too often people underestimate enjoying a race and being within a minute of goal is nothing shabby! Nicely done!

Jerry, what the ideal temp for you to race in? (And there is no slow. There is only getting out and doing it.)

Thanks, MT! It's funny weather here. I went from running in barely breaking 0*C (32*F) to 20*C (70*C) in a week. To say I'm not acclimatized is pretty accurate. I set up a rough training plan for May and I'm still working out my half training plan to start in June. I think this year instead of doing the half + 3 weeks later the 10K (two races I've done for about the past 3 years), I'm thinking about the half + then the half (held alongside the 10K I've been doing.) I've never done 2 halfs in one year, let alone two in a month. I guess I can't totally be down on running if I'm contemplating that this fall.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.