Half Marathon Trainers

August (Read 35 times)

ashleyww

Since I have done my first run in August, and it sucked and I wanted to vent about it and there was no August thread, I thought I would go ahead and start one.

ashleyww

Now the venting.  My legs felt like lead and I just wanted it to be done (more than usual) the whole time.  I know that it is a combination of (1) currently being on business in a city where I am walking everywhere which I am not used to, (2) running too fast on a great run yesterday and (3) being in the middle(ish) of training and feeling like there is no end in sight.

Ok, think I'm better now.  One bad run won't kill me.  I have had several really good runs in a row, so I was due a bad one.  Better to get it out of the way now than Saturday.

hog4life

Ashley, I've had plenty of bad runs lately. They'll get better.

I finished July with 48.73 miles, which is my lowest in quite a long time. The PF has really taken a toll on me. Hopefully August will be better.

an amazing likeness

Ashleyww -- I'd guestimate that every 4th or 5th workout I enter in my log has some comment about heavy legs in it.  It just happens. Don't sweat it. If it's bad enough to interfere with the purpose of the workout, then I don't push the issue and just let it become a day of easy miles, and come back tomorrow.

Hog4life -- that is a bummer on the PF keeping you down. It happens. From all the posts on RA, it seems like it will heal when you hit on the magic combo for your situation...but takes constant diligence. I've got the same thing going on with my hamstring -- the rupture/tear has healed...but it will pull at the slightest provocation, I've got to tend to it constantly.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ashleyww

Thanks for the encouragement ya'll!  I know in my head that the feeling won't last forever (but I don't always believe it), but it is nice to have others tell me that as well.  It makes it more likely that I might actually believe it.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I missed a run this week which has me a little disappointed, but I did have a pretty good 7 on my last run. I'm still nervous as hell about being ready for my Sept race.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Zelanie

Ashley- Sounds like you got your bad run out of the way before your race.  Nice!  I had one of those "heavy legs" runs today myself.  I just kept reminding myself that the miles would get done one way or another.

Mitch- I am so sorry that you are still struggling with the PF.  You have gone through so much, it seems unfair that it's a lowly foot issue that's getting you down!

MT- Hoping your training is also picking up this month!  Are the temps closer to normal for you?

Meg- I'm sure you will be more than ready in Sept.

Me- I finished July with 135 miles.  I got to 30 MPW a bit sooner than I expected and stayed there.  My goal for this month is to keep my weekly mileage in the same ballpark, but add in some quality work.  I'd like to start by getting back to a long run, going up to 8 and then 10 miles if it goes well, and maybe throw in some tempo miles.  Getting distance back is my main goal, though.

I am feeling really good about the knee.  I've been on vacation for the past week, and have run all my miles on concrete, untaped, with no tenderness at all.  I am keeping up with my PT exercises and stretching/rolling to hopefully keep it that way.

hog4life

Well, I finally got my night splint in the mail, slept in it last night. My foot feels decent this morning after yesterday's 10 mile run. We had a group of 12, with water stops at 3, 5, 7.5 miles, and I think the brief stops helped some. At mile 8.5, general fatigue started getting to me, so I did some run/walk to finish. My OA pace was slow for me, but at this point, I really don't care about my pace.

Zel, glad you are rebounding so well.

Meg, you will be okay for Sept race.

MT, I pulled a hammy many years ago, it was tuff to recover. Be sure to take it easy.

Hi guys!

I have not been running so have not bothered posting- I ended July with a massive (not!) 35 miles or something. Yes, not for a week, for the month!

I have already done two runs in August, and some walking with DW, so a bit better start.

Clearly I will not be ready to run a marathon in October as I had planned so will change to some shorter event, perhaps a half.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I seem to be alternating good and crappy runs lately. Not sure what the hell that's about. Trying to get my miles in though. I had to tweak my current training plan after I missed some runs, but I'm feeling okay with how it rolls from now until race day. Still nervous about the race, but I'm trying to trust my training. Smile

Simon, looks like you are headed in the right direction. Keep moving forward!

Z, how's the knee after the long run?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HI Everyone!  I rarely post in here, but when I came in today and saw everyone's issues it somehow made me realize I am not alone.  I strained my groin in March running a half marathon and everytime I think it is better and I push the speed it says "hi remember me"  So frustrating.  I am trying so hard to not focus on the speed and just enjoy the run and that I can do it.

Listen to  me talk like I am a speedster.  Really I average around a 10min/mile sometime better, but lately  I can't seem to get past 11 minutes without some sort of uncomfortableness.  not pain and not enough to stop.  Just drives me crazy.

I am sending a group hug and healing vibes to us all.  It can't hurt right?

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

5 miles Saturday and 4 miles Sunday. I think the night splint and heating pad along with the Naproxen are doing some good. I just signed up for the Huntsville Half for $26, price goes up to $36 on the 15th. My bout with this PF has about convinced me that I will most likely need to take an alternate approach to these upcoming races, Oct Half, Nov Half, Dec full. I had originally planned to "race" the Oct half shooting for 1:47, use the Nov half as MP miles(LR,16-18), and attempt a 4:10 full. But I seriously think I should just do both halves as easy LR's, and then to make 4:45-5:00 on the full. I just don't think my speed and endurance will be back this soon. What do you guy/gals think? Is this a good change of goals?

Hi Barb, post often, I like the company. I didn't have a groin injury, but I had hernia repair surgery, that greatly affected the groin area. Even though I got back to running relatively quick, I couldn't do any speed work at for the next 1.5 years. Each time I tried to increase the speed(and pace is irrelevant here), I would feel a lot of pain and discomfort. I just accepted the fact that I needed to keep it easy. I'm not sure at what point I started feeling okay, but it took some time. Don't risk another setback, keep taking it easy.

redleaf

I apologise if this is a little babbly....

I haven't been posting much 'cause I think I was going through a bit of a funk. Every time I thought I was doing well it'd all fall to pieces. I think MT hit on it when he said something about being a little worried/nervous of the training.

After we left my running stuff at home and there wasn't anything I could buy in the small town running shop where we were for four days I felt like I had messed up yet again.

So when we came back I just wanted to go out and run a couple of times. So I ran Wednesday am, Thursday afternoon and Sunday. I have that 15 km race on Saturday so I figured I'd do the interval training on plan for today to see if I could convince myself that I had different "speeds" after all.

The plan called for:

3.25km at 7:30 min/km Recovery = 3 min
                            1.5 km at 7:14 min/km  Recovery = 2 min
                            1.5 km at 7:14 min/km  Recovery = 2 min
                            800 m at 7:10 min/km  Recovery = 2 min
                            800 m at 7:10 min/km  Recovery = 2 min

But my garmin doesn't seem to like my running path with all the trees and stuff and it was pretty overcast so I approached it as "run as fast as you think you can run for 3km and fake the rest" "run what you think you can run for 1.5km and fake the rest".

Here's the log entry. I think I may faint.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Red, I hope you want to faint, lol, because the intervals were so good. They look great to me.

I did 4.83 miles with 5 x 400's at, well my pace was all over the place. First one was around 6:00/mm, last one around 8:00/mm. Totally messed up but first speed work since I've been fighting the PF. My foot is really making improvements, finally!

Zelanie

Mitch- Good to see you back to speedwork!  I haven't tried any myself recently other than for a couple minutes if I'm bored at the end of a TM run.

Simon- Glad to see you're back to running!  I hope you were able to find an alternate event.

Meg- I hope this weeks' runs have been more good than crappy!  The knee feels great after the LR.  I am beyond thrilled at how quickly it improved once I started to figure things out.

Barbs- Sorry to hear that you've been injured too!  I ended up with a knee issue after my April HM and had a couple of false starts before finally being able to do "real" training again.  Is there maybe something in your form that changes when you do speedwork compared to easy runs?

redleaf- Nice workout!  Good luck this weekend!

me- Still doing well!  I ran 8.5 yesterday and think I'm ready to go up to a 10 mile LR next week.  The real challenge will be figuring out my schedule with the craziness that always comes around the start of the school year.  And of course balancing the part of me that wants to push hard to get the most out of my training with the part of me that knows that this is a long-term process and that my Nov. half will be just fine even if I take it easy in training.