Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers - February 2010 (Read 815 times)

Hey Everyone.....seems a bit quiet around here lately!  How's the running coming?......everyone staying on top of their goals so far this year?

I did my Arizona HM a couple of weeks ago, took a week off (only about 15 miles that week), and then started at it again.  Had a 26 mile week this last week, ending in yesterday's 12 miler on a new route......up a dirt road, next to the South Platte River, that is a public open-space and shut off to traffic.  It was awesome, quiet, beautiful!

Looking forward to my next race coming up in March.......

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I've been super quiet lately (on this board, anyway!).  Thankfully my HM isn't until December (although a friend wants me to do the Portland HM in October... haven't decided yet) because I've been benched for a couple weeks.  Had a nasty car accident almost 2 weeks ago, back is all jacked up.  I plan a short trip to the gym today to test out everything on the elliptical, see how that goes.  I am hoping to get back to running by next week.  *fingers crossed*

Michelle

under a rock

I've got two long runs left until my first HM. I'm so excited!
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Michelle, how did it go for you at the gym??

I bought airline tickets and reserved a hotel room for the Las Vegas HM in December.  Whoo hoo!  I told DH the trip will be the start of our 25th Wedding Anniversary Festival!  Our actual 25th anniversary will be May 31, 2011, but we believe in long celebrations.

HikerChick, sorry to hear about the accident.  I hope all is well and your trial at the gym goes well.

Good luck, runslikeagirl, on your first HM.....you'll do great.

Teresadfp, my 20th anniversary is in December......I wonder if I could sucker my wife into doing that race as well.  As long as she gets to see a show or two and do some shopping, I think I could swing it.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That would be cool, Sean.  There will be a lot of RA women and their BFs/husbands there.  If you decide to go, let me know!

I have entered a 10k on May 2nd., so am now more motivated to get back to training on a regular basis.

In fact I did some speedwork the other night, a fartlek run, really sprinted the fast sections and am feeling it in my quads and hamstrings.

The course for this particular race is point to point, downhill a lot of the way, and very fast. I have done the event twice before, but not last year, so should get a new PB.

The race  usually attracts about 12,000 runners; so a big event. I plan to finish in the first thousand, so will be able to cheer home about ten thousand runners, which will be fun.

Training for the 10k means I do not have to put as much emphasis on long runs, which are hard to do in cold weather, it is -11C here today, about 15F, though nice and sunny.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hi Folks

I've been traveling a bunch so haven't been posting. Still managing to get the runs in though - I've only missed one of my planned runs - but the traveling has meant much more time on the treadmill than I like. There was no way I was running outside in New Delhi!

I've got about 4 weeks left until the Dallas RnR HM just trying to get the miles in before a crack at sub 2hrs.

Hope you are on the mend Michelle.

Good luck in the race Ashley, which one are you doing?

Nice to hear that you are back in the game Simon - keep it up.

I'm back on the road again next week - check in with y'all soon

2017 Goals
                  1) Run more than 231 miles
                  2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

under a rock

Good luck in the race Ashley, which one are you doing?

I'm doing the Xterra Thrill in the Hills on the 27th in Winder, GA.

I'm excited about getting to do my long run outside and on the trails to boot! Last week due to the icy conditions I got stuck doing my long run on the treadmill. That was a major mental challenge. It will be nice to get to commune with nature again!

Hope mother nature isn't hitting anybody too hard again this weekend!

I too did my 9 mile run on the treadmill this weekend, and boy was it tough to get through.  The central Y is too warm and the old people walking at 2 MPH around me turned the fan off.  If I ever run there again, I need to be a bit more rude and tell them to keep their hands off the fan

under a rock

I too did my 9 mile run on the treadmill this weekend, and boy was it tough to get through.  The central Y is too warm and the old people walking at 2 MPH around me turned the fan off.  If I ever run there again, I need to be a bit more rude and tell them to keep their hands off the fan

I hate running there because you are way too close to the mirrors. I like to go to the South Y and grab the treadmill by the door for some fresh air.

Cracked 10 miles on the treadmill at home for the first time.  Thankfully I found "The Long Green Line" on hulu.

I highly recommend it, if you need to get through 90 minutes on the treadmill, and find somewhat sappy running documentaries inspiring. I can't wait for the combination of weather/health to improve so I can get back outside for at least most of my miles. 10+ miles outdoors can be the highlight of my week. 10 miles on the treadmill.......torture.

I hate running there because you are way too close to the mirrors.

Yeah that was wierd too.  Although I discovered that my right foot splays out to one side once I get tired.  Need to work on those foot strength issues, maybe squats or better yet, trail running.

Matt, you were in India? Tell us about it, please.

I made it for a 2 hour run outdoors on Sunday, cold wind, though.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I have a good friend that lives in India - she says the mangoes are ripening now.  Hopefully you got to have some fresh off the tree! 

Thanks, Matt, I am on the mend, slowly.  I tried the gym Sunday... ended up barely able to move the rest of the day and PT Monday was a disaster.  But I know what my limits are now, so I know what I can do each day.  It's just gonna take longer to get back than I thought.   The trick will be to hurry up & get the middle back muscles calmed down so that twisting and arm movements don't bother me --- then I can maintain better fitness by aqua-jogging or being on the elliptical.  Lower back looks like it might take more time, but I'll get there!    I have to cancel my St. Paddy's Day Dash race, which bums me out but it's the smart thing to do.  I'm giving the race packet to a friend, and I'll have green beer with her.  Win-win.

Ashley, I can't wait to hear how your race goes on the 27th!  I tried trail running once a couple years back.  I felt like a little kid jumping over roots & rocks.  I'd love to try it again.

Michelle