Half Marathon Trainers

Hi Everybody~ Just jumped in the group (Read 388 times)

As a final commitment to my insanity, I have started Hal Higdon Half Novice Training this week. Post Injury from February. Now I have NO immediate plans for running a half, ( dream though) I like the structure of a solid plan, and know that I can repeat weeks if necessary. I am scheduled to run a 4 miler tomorrow, and shins and god willing, It will happen Wink Glad to be here! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Welcome Chef! What's the secret to getting a nice sear on foie gras without melting the stuff........ it gets expensive for an amateur like myself.
        Hi Jason, Thanks for the welcome! Just think Scallops when doing Fois Gras. Molten Hot Teflon skillet, NO OIL.... No longer than a minute per side, or till golden brown on each side. IMPORTANT: Let it come back to " warm" before consuming or it won't hold together.... Smile

jules2

Welcome aboard, sometimes I think I'm a chef as after a run my legs are toast.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Welcome to the board! You must be one of the slimmest chefs i have seen, does the running make up for the tasting? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hi Jason, Thanks for the welcome! Just think Scallops when doing Fois Gras. Molten Hot Teflon skillet, NO OIL.... No longer than a minute per side, or till golden brown on each side. IMPORTANT: Let it come back to " warm" before consuming or it won't hold together.... Smile
              Oui Chef! Do I start with foie gras from the fridge or should I let it come to room temperature before it hits the pan? I think you need to find a goal race and go for it! Jason
                Oui Chef! Do I start with foie gras from the fridge or should I let it come to room temperature before it hits the pan? I think you need to find a goal race and go for it! Jason
                Not quite room temp, more like " cool" to the touch, the melting thing is always the biggest thing.... I ran my 4 miler yesterday, and feel great from coming back from peroneal tendonitis in February. So far, so good. I think I will wait to get 1/2 way through the program, and see if there's a race I want to do.... Who Knows! Looks like I found Great People to root fo rme! Smile

Welcome to the board! You must be one of the slimmest chefs i have seen, does the running make up for the tasting? Simon.
                  Hey Simon~ Yeah, if you read about me, " On Paper" I am tall/slender build, but the food and wine have ended up right on the belly, and I am very thick and jiggly there..... Food and Wine, the two BEST things in life, unfortunately, they create more rolls than a French Baker... Shocked Running has dropped 4" from my waist since last fall.... tummy toning up more all the time.... LONG SLOW PROCESS. Thanks! Smile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, that's the plan that I'm following. I started it in January, and my HM isn't until September, so I'm stretching it out a little. Going up a mile at a time seemed too hard for me, so I'm increasing by one half mile every couple of weeks. Tomorrow should be 9.5 miles. Shocked You and I are about the same build. I bought size 8 pants in Texas, after wearing size 10 for a few months. The slimming down does happen very gradually! Yesterday, I think a guy in the Austin airport was FLIRTING with me! What a concept. Good luck with the training! You're on the right track! Teresa
                      Cheffy, that's the plan that I'm following. I started it in January, and my HM isn't until September, so I'm stretching it out a little. Going up a mile at a time seemed too hard for me, so I'm increasing by one half mile every couple of weeks. Tomorrow should be 9.5 miles. Shocked You and I are about the same build. I bought size 8 pants in Texas, after wearing size 10 for a few months. The slimming down does happen very gradually! Yesterday, I think a guy in the Austin airport was FLIRTING with me! What a concept. Good luck with the training! You're on the right track! Teresa
                      Thanks Teresa~ Nice to have a female " Accountability" partner. I think I am going to attempt my Half in Late September, 2 days before my 42nd birthday. I simply can't think of a better way to celebrate it, and it will be just over 1 year since my running journey began. I am in the middle of week 2, and did the 3 mile run on the dreadmill at the gym, but threw in some eliptical work on top, as my small 2 mile run really sucked last night. i was winded the whole time, and I am still getting my shins to HTFU. I have been dealing with them sincemy return to running 6 weeks ago. My pants size has dropped back to a 6 from an 8 ( very tight), but my flabby tummy still is muffin'ing over the sides on some pairs. I bought a sassy pair of shorts from Old Navy in a 6 and they are loose in the waist... Big grin Happy Training, and see you in the LLR....... Smile Sandy

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You can do it! You have plenty of time to train. If you look at my log since the beginning of December, I've increased my mileage significantly. I just try to follow the 10% rule and have had no problems. It's neat we're doing the HMs about the same time!
                          I find the different perspectives on weightloss quite amusing; I very gradually lost 30lbs over 18 months, and have lowered my blood pressure so am pleased from a health point of view. Buying smaller pants was just an expense! If I'm honest I do think I look better as well as feeling better. I am also looking ahead to a fall half marathon, likely October, since I did not run much in March my spring races may not be as good as I had hoped-gotta get thgose miles up and do some cross training. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Simon, you think the different perspective could be a male/female thing?? I can't think of any women who wouldn't be THRILLED to have to buy new pants after losing weight! Good luck with your HM training!