Half Marathon Trainers

1st HM...is it enough mileage...? (Read 373 times)

2008 Philly Trifecta

I'm running my 1st ever HM on Sun 11/18- The Philadelphia Half I'd had some right knee pain a couple of months ago. It went away with some rest and a knee brace. I received advice it may be time for new shoes. Got some new dogs and all was well... Last Thurs 11/1, I was running and experienced some crazy pain, this time in my left knee...couldn't finish. Took time off, knee felt much better by this weekend, but wanted to wait to make sure. Received advice from others on RA it may have been the new shoes... Welp...went on my 1st run today (2.3 mi) since left knee pain sidelined me last Thursday. I felt great and could have gone farther...but resisted. Went back to the good 'ole 233 mi New Balances until after the HM According to training schedule, should run 3 more 3 milers this week, (Thurs, Fri, Sat) and a 6mi long run this weekend. Then next week, 3mi on Tues, Weds, Thurs, Sat and the 1/2 miler on Sun 11/18... My longest run to date is 10+ miles, and that was on 10/20 Roll eyes Concerened I didn't get my scheduled long runs in (11 & 12 milers) 1/2 miler on Sun 11/18... Any advice...? Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
    2008 Philly Trifecta:
    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
    Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
    Philly Marathon-11/23
    "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

Glad to hear your knee issues are sorted out. It depends on what your goals are, Dave. Since it's your first HM and you missed some of the long runs - I'd advise you to finish running your training schedule and go run your half. You'll be just fine. I missed 3 or 4 long runs coming up to my first marathon last month - I wasn't able to run it as fast as I wanted to but finished just fine. I'll give you some excellent advice an experienced marathoner gave me - because I couldn't say it any better than he did. You can insert the word "half" as appropriate. I think this advice is true for any distance for beginning runners.
      Being your first marathon, your goal should be to just get to the finish line comfortably and enjoy the experience. You hear that from so many people, and it's true. Just get one under your belt, then worry about time. This marathon stuff takes time to build up to. You gotta be patient.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

2008 Philly Trifecta

thanks for the encouragement and advice Mike...it's very appreciated!!! Wink

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
        2008 Philly Trifecta:
        10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
        Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
        Philly Marathon-11/23
        "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

Dave, I agree with Mike, cutting short your training will affect your time, not your ability to finish. Run the first 10 miles (16kms.) at a pace you KNOW you are comfortable with, then you can adjust depending on how you feel at that point. Simon, offering advice based on the experience of a single half marathon!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.