Half Marathon Trainers

Eryn & Kirsten, Grand Rapids HM (Read 367 times)

I just want to say that Kirsten/zoom-zoom/Blondie, whatever you want to call her, zoom zoomed her butt today & (pardon my language) THOROUGHLY. KICKED. MY. ASS. today!!!!!!!! Go Blondie!!! She rocked! We ran together for the first 4.5mi, then I had to stop before I pee'd down my leg & she whipped into zoom-zoom gear. Results aren't up yet, but I think we were about 2:15 & 2:24 respectively. GRHM/GRM was a great race. Well organized, fun, nice course, GREAT staff! And our medals are huge!! Smile And the free shirt was a great Brooks technical shirt!! Gu & gummi bears on the course, as well as the standard water & gatorade. AND, this is the best part, there was BEER & CHILI at the finish line!! Now how can you go wrong at a marathon that serves a brew at the end?? The race director is a super guy who is laid back & has a great sense of humor. He greeted every runner at the finish line with a hand shake & a "great job". As for the actual experience...the weather was great. Sunny, clear, windy in some parts, not bad in others. The first few miles had some hills that, to be honest, also kicked my butt! I thought I was ok on hill training, but apparently I need to add some more hill work. I made a fatal mistake prior to the start of the race. I was in line to pee just one last time & it was close to start time. I started to get nervous that I wouldn't make the official start & decided I'd be fine to hold it. By mile 3 I was in misery & bagged it at 4.5 to stop. That screwed my time. I'm considering a catheter next race?? Wink By mile 8, the hills had made my quads start screaming obscenities at me. I made it through the last 5.1, but it wasn't comfortable & by the end, my quads, my groin & my back all hated me! But, I FINISHED!! And in a slightly respectable time. And I had chili & beer! Well, off to a long shower. I'll let Kirsten give her accounting of the experience from the smokin' fast runners!! Big grin Everyone give her a super big "YEAH KIRSTEN", cause she really deserves it. Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aww...thanks, girlfriend! I posted a little synopsis over on the main board. That catheter idea is a good one...we could have them empty into a Camelbak (without drinking from it, obviously--I'm not THAT into recycling, LOL) and no one would be the wiser...how awesome would that be?! You know I LOVED my catheters during my 3 surgeries. We're even, now...you finished the 10 mile Bridge run about 10 minutes ahead of me and I got you by almost 10 minutes on this one. Next race we do together we need to cross the finish line holding hands and skipping! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cripe, I'm dying for official chip time results!! I'm checking the site every couple of minutes!! BTW, zoom, they are running pics from today on the GRHM website. Cool one up now of the penguin brigade pace leader coming through with his 4:44:00 sign & the clock in the back says 4:44:00!! Guess there is something to those pace groups after all!! Smile
          WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Congrats to Kirsten and Eryn!!!WTG on finishing and WTG on your times!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks Pam! My next goal...make my abs look like yours this winter!!! Big grin Big grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Where are you finding photos...? I only see last year's (speaking of, I need to start going through the ones Derek took). k

~ Sarah Kay

bas

I just posted on the Racing forum, but I don't mind repeating it here: You rock, both of you! Also I saw the photos Kirsten posted. Nice to get an idea of what the race looked like. And those high tech capes they give you after the finish! I never had one of those! Shy And beer instead of a lousy sports drink! And a personal welcome at the finish from the race director! He sounds like a great guy. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, guys! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wahhh...I want my results so I can go to bed!

~ Sarah Kay

That makes 2 of us. I'm so tired!! I've been checking the site & classic race management (not sure if they are handling the results) frequently & still no results!! And bas, the director is great! He sent weekly emails from the time you registered & daily emails for about the last 2 weeks, all are funny. He's had a pretty neat life, by the sounds of it. Climbed Kilimanjaro (sp?) & ran a marathon 2 days later!! Anyways, the race was great. Like I said, not just the normal water & sports drink. Gummy bears on the course. The typical bananas, oranges, apples at the end, along with yogurt, string cheese, bagels...and the aforementioned chili & beer!! Tongue The cape was wonderful. Even with my windbreaker back on, I was still wet & chilled & the wind was blowing. And I also thought the personal greeting at the finish was a great touch!! I'll be running this race again next year.
                        Ladies you ROCK!!! I am envious - I tried to sign up at the last minute (yeah I know I'm nuts) for the Detroit 1/2 and was blocked out..but thought of you this morning! Bigggg glass of wine and bed!! lisak
                        Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                        eshep

Glad to hear that things went well. You deserved the beer you got at the finish line. I bet it tasted that much better after a good race! Congratulations! Eric
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Nice shots! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...