Half Marathon Trainers

HMT June 2012. (Read 438 times)

Just wanted to get the new month started- hoping to see at least 30 posts this month!

Great races already by Kevin and Milk Truck- I will be watching the Ontario Masters T and F meet later this month to see how things go.

I was recently sent an email about a woman of 75, (she looked about 60 in the photo) who broke 4 world records at a single meet- fantastic effort. I am thinking about joining the organisation, though I would be a back marker most of the time>

Ran 10k today after helping my son with moving, which I hope is cross training.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm running at 10K this Sunday coming up and the following day is the first day of half marathon training for my fall race. (Feel free to snoop the training plans on my log and tell me what you think of my QCM 2012 plan. ) Running is going really well lately. I've never had this strong a base going into training and I think it's going to be a good year for me. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Running is going really well lately. I've never had this strong a base going into training and I think it's going to be a good year for me. Smile

Given the work you're doing it looks like both your 10K and half marathon PRs should fall, Meg. You've got a lot more steady miles coming out of winter this year than last -- more miles, and more runs.

Hey...how come you've got races coming up that we don't have the calendar ?!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I hope you are right about my records falling. That would make me very happy. 

And I posted just now in the race thread to get my races on the official list. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Nice work over the winter CMeg! I did snoop your training plan and I may 'borrow' from it. My half is about 3 weeks after yours and I need to kick it up as my running has been sporadic. I put together a solid May and March, but then have significant breaks which I'm trying to reduce. 

I'll be training with a bit of experience this summer - My trip to Iceland is in June instead of August so I won't interrupt my training too much. Now if I could get my nutrition under control!! The nice part is - I love running.

vegefrog

May was not a good running month mileage wise for me. I guess I needed a little break. It's hard to keep the running schedule on track with summer vacations and beach days on weekends and just so much going on! I'm back at it though this month. I need to get a good solid base for when I start training for my next marathon. I have a few races to add to the schedule as well, I'll try to get organized and post them.

Meg I hope you get every PR you can think of! All that hard work will pay off!!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lakerunner, feel free to use what works for you. Tempos are very new to me and I've never used them in half training.

Vegefrog, sometimes we all need a little break and it's important to be able to be able to see that. Have you picked out your next marathon?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

vegefrog

I have picked out my next marathon, my next 2 actually! I am going to do a local one in December with some friends. It's the Kiawah Island Marathon and I hear it's a really nice, small-ish race. We will be aiming for 4 hours...so I have a training plan sort of in place to get me there (hopefully). I am really focusing on this one, however, I am signed up for another marathon in Feb 2013. It's The New Orleans RockNRoll marathon. I am running this one with my sister. I plan to be able to cruise this one (if it's possible to cruise a marathon) and get her under 5 hours.

AND...I know this is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off in the future, but I would love to do the Chicago Marathon in October 2013. My best friend lives there and I try to visit her every other year, so I think this would be a good way to visit and cross off my first super huge marathon. Then I think my marathon career will be over, LOL.

Halfs are way more my style (actually 5K's are my fave, LOL)  and I'm going to try and save up $$ for a road bike and attempt to get into tri's Smile

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I have picked out my next marathon, my next 2 actually! I am going to do a local one in December with some friends. It's the Kiawah Island Marathon and I hear it's a really nice, small-ish race. We will be aiming for 4 hours...so I have a training plan sort of in place to get me there (hopefully). I am really focusing on this one, however, I am signed up for another marathon in Feb 2013. It's The New Orleans RockNRoll marathon. I am running this one with my sister. I plan to be able to cruise this one (if it's possible to cruise a marathon) and get her under 5 hours.

AND...I know this is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off in the future, but I would love to do the Chicago Marathon in October 2013. My best friend lives there and I try to visit her every other year, so I think this would be a good way to visit and cross off my first super huge marathon. Then I think my marathon career will be over, LOL.

Halfs are way more my style (actually 5K's are my fave, LOL)  and I'm going to try and save up $$ for a road bike and attempt to get into tri's Smile

Very cool. My sister says she will come do the local half with me one of these years and I think that will be fun. I've never had a chance to race with someone I know staying together through a race.

I think 10K is my fave, mostly bc it's not such a huge training load. Maybe that would change if I wasn't so darn slow. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

an amazing likeness

I have picked out my next marathon, my next 2 actually! I am going to do a local one in December with some friends. It's the Kiawah Island Marathon and I hear it's a really nice, small-ish race. We will be aiming for 4 hours...

Totally off topic...but right now...I plan to be at Kiawah Island for my December half...there's absolutely nothing in New England, and Charleston sounds like a good option.

vegefrog

Awesome MilkTruck! We will have to meet up if you do come down Smile I have heard great things about the race, I have just never been in the position to care about marathons before now, LOL. I know there is plenty of beer at the finish and great crowd support. I've been to Kiawah Island plenty of times and it is beautiful so I don't know how the half or full wouldn't be awesome.

Meg it's soooo fun to do a long race with someone you can talk to the whole time. My first marathon in Feb was with my sis. We had a BLAST. One of the best memories of my life Smile

I had a GOOD  run today. First time I've felt good running since May. I was in a funk, but I think it's over now. It was raining the whole run, no thunder, just a summer rain. Felt great and made me feel alive Smile

Speaking of favourite race distances, the half is the distance at which I have had the best results, and probably the one I like best.

I have never run a marathon, and have never trained specifically for a 5k or 10k, only ran them in the lead-up to a half.

Probably should widen my interests by trying a 1500m track race or something.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Still taking it easy here. My HM is Oct 28th so not starting a programme proper until end of July

In the meantime doing trails mainly....very muddy last weekend...

<cite>www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEO1_0T-6a4</cite>

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

an amazing likeness

Hey Vino, good to see you pop back through with an update. October is a long way off, and with all constant trail hiking and mountaineering, I'll wager a few weeks of speed work will get you right back into the swing of things.

Meg, every time I read your race reports, you're always dealing with winds. Nice job on the recent 10K...fighting through the lack of sleep and nailing those even splits is an accomplishment. Tell your coach to push you for 5 - 10 sec/mile more pace (Wink)...you can handle it with your base and nail a big 10K PR. 

I've been on the sidelines for the past 9 days with lower leg and ankle problems that came out of the blue and then got much worse after my last race. Could barely walk for a few days, from what I think (after some serious diagnosis-by-google) is "Left Tibialis Anterior Tendon Seath Inflammation" and a muscle tear in my calf. The calf is better, but even with days of no runs at all, and only a few 3 - 4 mile jogs, the tendon inflation isn't getting better. I've run a whopping 12 miles in the last 7 days...Uggh.

vegefrog

Boo Milk Truck. That's no fun. Wishing you the best with recovery for that injury.

Vino those trails are going to make you so strong!

I have been looking for a running group to join around my area and now I found 2. One is done by a running shoe store and they incorporate a topic each week. For example this week's topic is how to prevent runner's knee. So we run 5-6 miles, then have a few snacks and beers while the guys talks about the topic. It's pretty cool and the people were really nice. The other group is called "Pacers and Pints" and they choose a different location each month to run and then meet up for beers afterwards. I am going to my first run with this group tonight. It's fun to meet all these new people. I don't stay for the socializing too long, I am really there for the run which seems to the be the opposite of some of the folks Wink