Half Marathon Trainers

How many weeks is your training program, and what do you run when you aren't (Read 692 times)

Beginner all over again

How many weeks is your training program?

And what do you run when you aren't training for a HM? In other words, what are your "maintenance" runs, I suppose, in the weeks/months in between when you aren't training for any particular race quite yet?

Frances, when I am not training for a race I usually do only 3 times a week, and sometimes some bike riding, more for enjoyment than anything else.

For example, I took a break in May, ran only 55 miles for the month.

I try to keep going 3 times a week in winter, but conditions in January and February are pretty grim in my area.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I aim for 5 times a week even when I'm not training, so I usually end up with 3 or 4!  Seems to be the way it works.  That's why I'm glad I'm on a real program right now.  I do much better with structure.

Actually,

Right now I'm doing a modified Higdon plan (16 weeks?) I'm probably moving so I am resetting by goal race in mid-October

But I'd love to know the answer to this as well... I'm considering a six week break after my HM, maybe running only once or twice a week (with other aerobic stuff filled in)

I am worried about losing running fitness.

A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I bet losing running fitness varies depending on the person.  DS can take a two-week break as recommended by his coach and then run 8 miles with no problem.   If I didn't run for two weeks, I would be toast!

Sorry, didn't answer you first question, my training plan is 18 weeks, for a half marathon.

For a shorter race, like a 5k or 10k, 12 weeks seems common.

My son is training now for a March race of 30 kilometers (19 miles) called "Around the Bay" in Hamilton Ontario. He plans to run the event then turn around and run back to the start.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Beginner all over again

What mileage do you run on each day, when not in training?

Prince of Fatness

How many weeks is your training program?

I'm not sure I can answer that one because I really don't follow any of the plans.  I'm 8 weeks out from a marathon and a typical week for me would be two quality workouts.  One is midweek and is usually a tempo run.  The other is my long run on the weekend in which I will throw in a few quality miles.  Every other run during the week is an hour of easy running, give or take.

It's pretty much the same.  I just cut back on the volume of the two quality runs.  I've found that if you keep your volume up when not training for a race you are in a much better position when the season starts.  My "off" season is the winter.

Right now I am running ~55 miles per week.  During the winter I'll back it down to about ~40.

Not at it at all. 

Like MrPHinNJ, I don't really have a plan I stick to or a number of weeks to train.  I really don't get much running in in the winter except for some boring threadmil work, so as soon as I get outside, I just start building gradually running 3-5 times a week depending on the weather.  Then as I start to feel stronger, I just gradually increase my distances and when the weather breaks, I up my running pretty much to 5 days a week.  Then I build a schedule backwards from the race I want to prepare for and build a milage schedule to get me there. 

So I did a HM on May 31st tapered prior to and afterward, then pulled a calf muscle and missed a week and a half of training, but my plan wasn't to taper too much afterward (but that may change watch for my whining post in the other thread). 

My goal now is shifting to build up hills and spped work for some shorter races coming up in Aug (5M & 5K) and then plan on a another HM in late Sept. 

As for running, I don't stick to any real training plan.  After building up endurance, then I mix up some hill work, some speed work, some tempo runs with fartleks in them  and for the most part run how I feel. 

Of course an important factor is staying healthy!

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Last year after the HM (Not in training)I ran 3-4 days per week and none over Christmas vacation

I began with low mileage and low heart rate after New Years (20-25 mpw) and tried to run 4-5 days per week

Now I'm trying to build back to 30 mpw (5 days), I've had 2 - 30 mile weeks so far. Also I try to do an upper body workout 2x per week. I may swap out a run for a swim class (new pool in my neighborhood) I've missed a couple of weeks for job interview stuff.

Hoping to build into the high 30s or low 40s by September

A

PS training plan is 18 weeks

Recalculating...

Just started my 13 week marathon phase this week, running 5 days a week.  Not a whole lot different than coming off my 8 week advanced 10k plan, as still tried to run 5 days a week.

Marathon phase has longer runs and less speedwork, but besides that not huge differences.  Breaking it up was more of a mental thing as a 21 week plan was just too long, but a 8 and 13 week plan now that was better .... Right

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!