Half Marathon Trainers

Run a half marathon each month in 2012 (Read 1638 times)

an amazing likeness

I've decided to set a goal of running a half marathon in each month of 2012. I don't know why this goal happened, it just did. Since I made up the goal, i got to make up the rules: (1) has to be an official 'event' and not just a run of 13.1 miles out on my own; (2) it can be part of a longer event, as long as there is an official time for the 13.1, and (3) at least one per calendar month. As I get them lined up, I'll list the races here. 

Date Race 
    Location  Summary Race Report

January 14

Smuttynose Indoor Half

Milford NH 69 laps. Crazy. RA link

February 26

Hyannis Half

Hyannis MA

Windy. Nice course.

RA log entry

March 11

Midcoast Half

Lincolnville ME

Hills followed by hills.

RA log entry

April 7

Race the Runways

Brunswick ME Windy. PR! RA log entry

May 20

Blue Nose Half

Halifax, NS, CA

Cool city. An event. RA log entry

June 3

Iron Horse Half Simsbury, CT Beautiful course. Hurt. RA log entry

June 24

Bands on the Run Half Lewiston, ME Wacky course! Hot. RA log entry

July 22

Old Port Half Portland, ME  Steady day mid pack.  

August 5

Cape Ann Half Rockport, MA Not a good day. Hot! RA log entry

Sept 2

Applecrest Half Hampton, NH Hills & apple pie. RA log entry

October 6

Applefest Half Hollis, NH Uphill 9-11 & apple crisp. RA log entry
    Nov 3 Moose Pond Half  Bridgton, ME Another hill monster.  
    Nov 11 Seacoast Half Portsmouth, NH  Nice course & race.  
    December Annapolis Half Annapolis, MD Pulled a PR outta the hat  

Completed Races Location Map  (assuming the link works, I'm new to marking and saving google maps...)

Updates:

December...Done.  A baker's dozen in the books. What a mix of flavor/size/style in all the races. I'm going to need to ponder for a few days how to score them. Although I became a bit jaded about certain things, one thing I know for certain is that the half is a heck of a race distance to test yourself with.

July...next 4 are in the books. May was a great trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia and a truly wonderful race weekend. June was quite a contrast between the flat and fast Iron Horse in CT farmland and a hilly mix of road, path and trails at the race in a old mill town in ME. July was a coastal tour along a city trail network in a race that has one of best finish areas of any I've run. If there's one theme for the summer swing so far, it's that these are all at slower paces in the heat and humidity. I'm disappointed to cancel Quebec City in August for another New England race, but my passport expired and wont be renewed in time to make the trip to QC.

April....first 4 are in the books and, amazingly, winter weather didn't get in the way at any of the races...actually, all the three outdoor events have been sunny and seasonal temps. Two were pretty darn windy, but that's to be expected. Interesting mix of events so far...one in a dome, one with over 3 thousand runners and full on hoopla, the next with less than 200 runners and no hoopla at all, and then one running around an airport with a 1-mile sprint race before the half. Certainly can't complain about a lack of variety.

Up next, the summer swing starts, and the usual mix of 10K and 5-milers will start to round out the schedule in additional to the half marathon goal races.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I know you've got a May race, but the Bluenose Marathon/Half in Nova Scotia is supposed to be amazing.

Quebec City Half August 26 (Quebec, QC)

Legs for Literacy October 21 (Moncton, NB)

This site lists a lot as well. http://www.halfmarathons.net/

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Nice - that's an ambitious plan but will probably keep you motivated in training.  Not what you're looking for, but you could always come down to D.C. and run with me March 17th! Wink

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

I know you've got a May race, but the Bluenose Marathon/Half in Nova Scotia is supposed to be amazing.

The Bluenose Half (my local race) is amazing - its a city loop and a half around the Halifax peninsula - medium sized maybe 2,500 runners - with a great 4 mile mild down hill in the middle - and lots of yucky steep uphills for variety.

Unfortunately I'm missing the Bluenose - I'm in your neck of the woods (Maine) for a wedding this year.

For other Nova Scotia races:

Johnny Miles HM New Glasgow June 17th (I'm going to try this one this year)

Valley Harvest HM October (they haven't set the date yet, it may be the same weekend as the Portland Marathon) Nice small race in the countryside, starts in a college town. I did this one in 2010.

Both of these are about 1-1 1/2 hour drive from Halifax

PEI (Charlottetown) HM October 14th - I did this one last year - awesome first 10 miles through pretty neighborhoods last 3 miles returning to town hilly and on the highway... Charlottetown in beautiful and has nice pubs (keeps the official hubby/ chauffeur happy) so overall a fun time.

I haven't heard anything about the Moncton race.

What about the Bar Harbor Half in September sponsored by the YMCA - fills up early!

Keep in mind there's no more ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.

A

Recalculating...

I would also like to do this one day, East Hampton Marathon/ HM. You can get across to Long Island from Connecticut on the ferry I think.

http://www.hamptonsmarathon.com/index.cfm

Recalculating...

Half Fanatic #846

I've decided to set a goal of running a half marathon in each month of 2012. I don't know why this goal happened, it just did. Since I made up the goal, i got to make up the rules: (1) has to be an official 'event' and not just a run of 13.1 miles out on my own; (2) it can be part of a longer event, as long as there is an official time for the 13.1, and (3) at least one per calendar month.

You should check out  www.halffanatics.com if you haven't already!  It could help with keeping your motivation, too.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

an amazing likeness

Ayola & Meg -- thanks for the pointer to the Bluenose Half.  Looks great.  I'm going to try to schedule this one. Depends on receptivity on the home front.

Meg -- Quebec city looks like a great choice for August, and I didn't have a lot of choices for August, so that's a highly likely.  Thanks.  It's not hot and humid in QC in August, is it?  Wink

Bill -- I've been using the Half Fanatics race calendar as a starting off point.  It's good, but does seem to have some holes with smaller races in the New England area.

By the way, does anyone really understand these "Fanatic" groups (Half Fanatics, Marathon Fanatics)?  Seems to me that you pay a fee to them and what you're buying is membership in the club -- is that it?  To each their own, but I don't get it.  Unless their are hidden benefits that I don't realize.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Half Fanatic #846

By the way, does anyone really understand these "Fanatic" groups (Half Fanatics, Marathon Fanatics)?  Seems to me that you pay a fee to them and what you're buying is membership in the club -- is that it?  To each their own, but I don't get it.  Unless their are hidden benefits that I don't realize.

Half Marathoners can join the "Half Fanatics"; marathoners can join the "Marathon Maniacs" for $10 a year (I think). I joined to give myself more motivation to continue running a lot of HMs, but ironically I've been concentrating on 5Ks so far this year - go figure!  And I like the designation "Half Fanatic"...Sometimes members wear technical club shirts, meet up at races, provide overnight accommodation for out-of-town members, or just log qualifying races and profiles on the members only page. Plus there is a small discussion forum and an e-letter. No club is for everyone, although I think HF membership has doubled in the last year - don't really know why, they don't push anything. Admittedly, I've noticed holes in the race calendar also - I have used that one, halfmarathons.net, marathonguide.com, and local calendars to search races - none are complete.

Good Luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

vegefrog

I've decided to set a goal of running a half marathon in each month of 2012. 

I think this qualifies you to be your own half-fantatic club! LOL!

I couldn't afford the entry fees...Shocked

But I am envious of your T-shirt collection to be!!!!

Good luck and I hope every month is a great race!

Loves the outdoors

Great goal! Sounds challenging! Come and join me at the Wellington Half Marathon in June Smile There's a little travel involved, but it's a great destination.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

colinw

That is a fun goal. My local race maybe easy for you to get to as well. The Marathon by the Sea is a small race (5 mile, full, and half) run in August in Saint John, New Brunswick. I think the date is August 12th this year. It is a lot of fun, and the scenery is great as well. It is pretty hilly, but not too strenuous. It looks like you're from Maine. Saint John is about 2.5 hours from Bangor, ME, so easy to get to.

You can see a lot of races in New Brunswick on the Athletics NB site www.anb.ca. Click the road runners link then calendar.

Have fun!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

50 halfs by age 50

This one's been on my bucket list for a looong time since it takes place near my birthday.

It's July in Nova Scotia:

http://www.atlanticchip.ca/events/details.php?show=703

Here are Marathon Guide comments:  http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=1053090726

My personal crazy goal is 50 half marathons by the time I turn 50. I did #20 at Disney this month and have til July 2018 to finish!

I am Half Fanatic #271. 

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

I just saw you added the new Midcoast Half. I'll have to put that on my 2013 calendar as that is right in my former neighborhood (Belfast). Those roads are All Rolling Hills! Good luck! A

Recalculating...

2. I'm coming up pretty sparse for June.  My first choice - Covered Bridges Half in VT, is full. Suggestions in New England?

Fairfield Half (http://www.fairfieldhalf.org/index.html) might be kinda far for you, still technically New England though and in June, so I'll throw it out there. Flat and fast if the weather cooperates, a decent size (4,000), but jbsports puts on a good event usually.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              vegefrog

Nice run today ! That's a great time!!