Half Marathon Trainers

What's your training plan? (Read 517 times)

I'm not following any specific plan. I just run 5 times a week with a long run on Saturday. I am signed up for a Half training group at a local running store but I didn't really enjoy the dynamic, the group run does not appeal to me. I like to run on my own schedule and at the pace that feels right for me. After a few group runs I realized that I rather run alone. I haven't been to a group run in a couple of months. Thoughts? Its going to be my first race longer than 10K and finishing strong is my goal, time is not really a consideration. Jason
      Jason - I think your training looks solid for a first half. Maybe even sub 2:00 solid. I didn't use a training plan for my first half either and I did fine. Regarding the group runs - I'm like you - I enjoy the solitude of running solo. Good luck in your half. When is it?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Len

Damn Yankee

I'm a solo runner too, so I understand where you're coming from. I'm not following a plan either, my first half is Feb. 23. I need to stretch out my long runs a little, but I'm fighting some soreness in my feet and ankles at the moment. When is your half Jason?

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Hi Everyone, I love group runs with my running club on Sunday and Wednesday. Big grin Run Saturday with my wife. Usually alone on Monday and Thursday,both have their good points. That's what I like about the club, there's always someone wanting or willing to go the distance and pace I'm looking for. Smile I do have a training plan written down that I made up myself mostly following McMillan ideas. Len ice and stretch . Sounds like it could be tarsel tunnel syndrome, tarsel tunnel ( like carpel tunnel of the feet) runs from arch to ankle it contains a tendon and a nerve, inflamation can cause stiffness and pain. A good stretch is to get on your knees with feet underneath you then sit on them control your weight so it doesn't hurt too bad hold it for 30 seconds , you should feel a good stretch of the tendon. I also rub (massage) in aspercream in the morning before I put my socks on.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

My half is the HSBC Chilly Half Marathon on March 2, 2008 in Burlington, Ontario, Canada. All accounts are that its a pretty flat and fast course. I have a friend who I do enjoy running with but he is about 2 mins/mile faster than me so I feel like I'm holding him back when we run together. Granted when I run with him its flexible and usually at the same time as my long Saturday runs.

Beatin' on the Rock

I'm using Hal Higdon's Beginner Half Marathon Training. I've noticed that JasonR and others are running their race the same time I am, and you are already doing 10 milers; I am only up to 8 miles long run this week. Kinda scares me... but so far, the slow, steady advances in mileage each week have been very doable. I have confidence that I WILL be able to finish. Hopefully not last. Smile
              Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
              pitrunner

I'm using Hal Higdon's Beginner Half Marathon Training. I've noticed that JasonR and others are running their race the same time I am, and you are already doing 10 milers; I am only up to 8 miles long run this week. Kinda scares me... but so far, the slow, steady advances in mileage each week have been very doable. I have confidence that I WILL be able to finish. Hopefully not last. Smile
                I'm using Hal's Beginner plan too, but my longest run to date is 8 miles and his long runs start at 4...I'm thinking I'll just modify it a bit. I'd hate to feel like I was losing ground, but I don't necessarily want to run as many days as the intermediate plan requires and I don't think I"m ready to incorporate speed work. My 1/2 isn't until May 4th so I think I have some time to work out the kinks in my plan.
                  I've noticed that JasonR and others are running their race the same time I am, and you are already doing 10 milers; I am only up to 8 miles long run this week. Kinda scares me... but so far, the slow, steady advances in mileage each week have been very doable. I have confidence that I WILL be able to finish. Hopefully not last. Smile
                  I set my sights on a Half a while ago.... so my training has been stretched out over a loooong time. I don't think being at 8 miles this week is anything to be concerned with, I didn't have much of an issue moving from 8 to 10 milers. I'm sure if you keep with your training plan you will be more than prepared for race day. Slow and steady is a good way to tackle this IMHO. I pushed too hard in November and ended up getting injured.... I wish I was taking it slow and steady back then! Jason
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm using Higdon's Novice Plan, but stretching it out since my HM isn't until the end of September. I'm increasing by 1/2-mile every two weeks. I'm at 6 miles for my long run right now. I figure if something happens and I miss a week, I will still be OK. DH can't believe I'm doing this! When we first met (almost exactly half a lifetime ago for me), we went biking on a 6-mile loop. I wasn't overweight, but I wasn't in good enough shape to even BIKE that far! Now I can run it. Smile
                      I'm using the 15k-HM plan from Pftiziger's book, "Road Racing for serious runners". I have modified it a little to combine some of the workouts from <30>19:44). I had trained for the 5k last year using HH's 5k Intermediate plan.</30>
                      PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08

Beatin' on the Rock

DH can't believe I'm doing this! When we first met (almost exactly half a lifetime ago for me), we went biking on a 6-mile loop. I wasn't overweight, but I wasn't in good enough shape to even BIKE that far! Now I can run it. Smile
                        That's so neat, Theresa! Doesn't it make you feel wonderful? Being able to keep slowly and steadily increase mileage,... watching the miles go up each month, while the times go down (a little) has been so rewarding. Honestly, planning for and being able to accomplish this half marathon training has been the single most personally uplifting thing I've ever done - besides give birth 4 times. Smile I'm ashamed to admit that I've been heard to say that once this half is over, I'm moving on. back to HIIT and strength training. Now, I'm not so sure. I just feel so darn good! Can the physical and psychological rewards keep coming, though? Is there truth in what some say about diminishing returns? Wow, I really didn't mean to ramble... Blush
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sally, I guess we'll find out if the returns dminish! My friends who have run a long time still really like it, though - especially the part about being able to eat more without gaining weight! And my friends (and doctor) who have had to STOP running get very upset about it. My doctor told me, "People like you bug the hell out of me, because I can't run anymore!" LOL. I was glad to see that your secret HM goal is to finish under 3 hours, because I'm thinking the same thing. Slow and steady, right? I made it 6.5 miles today in 1:18:25, on snow-covered roads, so maybe I can do it. Teresa

Beatin' on the Rock

I was glad to see that your secret HM goal is to finish under 3 hours, because I'm thinking the same thing. Slow and steady, right? I made it 6.5 miles today in 1:18:25, on snow-covered roads, so maybe I can do it. Teresa
                            No doubt! And, you'll just keep getting (a little) faster every month! I've got 3 weeks. I ran the Ringling Bridge today, which is the HILL part of this HM. I am VERY glad I made the trip to run it beforehand because I had it built up into a major concern in my mind Blush I made it, and realize that I will, in fact make it. Maybe not in 3 hours, but I WILL make it!