Half Marathon Trainers

doubles (Read 205 times)

Does anyone here have experience running twice in a day? I was looking ahead to my schedule - I have (2) 36 mile week and (2) 40 miles weeks Instead of doing sun 0 mon 6 tues 6 wed 6 thurs 0 fri 6 sat 12 I was thinking of doing more shorter runs, maybe with that double on monday sun 3 mon morn 5 mon night 5 tues night 3 wed 5 thurs 0 fri 3 sat 12 any thoughts? thanks, A

Nature is unable to make a really first-class job of anything if she is hustled...

Halifax Bluenose 10k May 2014

Halifax Navy 5k August 2014

Annapolis Valley Harvest, NS  HM October 2014

What is the purpose of adding doubles into your schedule? Generally speaking for aerobic development a single run of 10 miles is better than 5+5 or 6+4 or whatever. For most people the purpose of doing doubles is adding mileage. One could also be adding a shorter easy run to a hard workout day so that one run can be of a higher quality (faster). Another reason to add a second run is if you only have time to fit in x miles at one time but want to do more later, in other words you only have time to do 6-7 miles before work but want to get in 10 miles for the day you could do another 3-4 miles after work. I would also ask why you are scheduling the doubles in the way you have, you have a total of 10 miles on Monday, but in a 2x5 mile set, most folks doing doubles will have a shorter run and a longer run not two of the same distance especially given that you are normally only running 3-6 miles in a day that isn't your long run. Also, in your singles schedule you take Sunday off, but run 3 miles on the double schedule, why? Given what I've said I think staying with singles would be best for you, but I would lay out the week something like this: sun 4 mon 4 tues 8 wed 4 thurs 0 fri 4 sat 12 It still adds up to 36 miles and you get a day off, the slightly longer run on Tues reinforces the positive effects of the long run.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Thanks! I guess the idea of running a double is to get a couple of easy days in as well as one day off. Right now, a 3 miler is very easy and seems part of life so that is what I used a starting point - it looks like a 4 is more practical. I haven't built up to a midweek 8 miler (will I pass out in the office at 3pm?), but it is a possibility since I've done a 6, 5, 6 mid week. We will see - I'll go obsess over my calender some more.... A

Nature is unable to make a really first-class job of anything if she is hustled...

Halifax Bluenose 10k May 2014

Halifax Navy 5k August 2014

Annapolis Valley Harvest, NS  HM October 2014