Half Marathon Trainers

Any Half's planned in May? (Read 834 times)

Jazz hands!

I planted marigolds, a basil plant and a mint plant on Saturday. Hopefully I won't kill all of them.
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run

jules2

I planted marigolds, a basil plant and a mint plant on Saturday. Hopefully I won't kill all of them.
      If you kill mint you are the worlds worst gardener, if you planted it in the ground I hope you put it in a container with the bottom knocked out or it will spread all over the place. Good luck on Saturday I'm racing Sunday morning. Just loaded the latest Les Claypool on my IPod and off for a nice steady run and then pasta..

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Jazz hands!

If you kill mint you are the worlds worst gardener, if you planted it in the ground I hope you put it in a container with the bottom knocked out or it will spread all over the place.
        It's in a pot on my balcony. If it spreads it will be some sort of miracle. I am excited for homegrown mojitos.
          Excellent race MrPH! Your 10 miler last month plus this half show you are very strong this spring. I am going to try to increase my miles and consistency to close to yours for my October half, and hope to break 1:40, looks like it works for you. Larry, you and I are running very similar times right now, though as you rebuild from your injury I expect you will be back ahead of me. Squeaky you cannot eradicate mint once it gets going!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Larry, you and I are running very similar times right now, though as you rebuild from your injury I expect you will be back ahead of me.
            Right now, I'm purposely trying to keep my pace down a little and just build miles and miles. I'm very confident right now that I can repeat last years HM with a 7:59 pace and improve on it by 5-10 Secs per mile. Then in Sept be more agressive and go for Breaking 1:40/7:39 pace. Come June 1st (my HM is May 31st) I'll start adding some speed workouts to get ready for some 5Ks and 5Ms to set new PRs. I am however very seriously considering running my first Marathon in Oct (the Hartford Marathon) and that would change my plans a bit. Oh, by the way, the HM in Sept is basically most of my current long run training course, so I'll be very adjusted to the course which should be a huge benefit. Now the trick is just to stay healthy. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

It's not until Saturday. Five more days to eat as much pasta as I can stuff in. Oh, and run, or something. Santa Ynez goes from the town of Santa Ynez, CA, through Los Olivos, then back down to Solvang through Ballard Canyon. I think I have the course as a public map in my log (creatively titled, "Santa Ynez Half.") Should be a pretty run through Santa Barbara County. I'll let you know how it is, maybe you'll do it next year?
              I checked out the map and zoomed out to figure out where it was. The closest I've been to there is Morro Bay (except for Business travel to LA area. Hoping to be in Santa Cruz next March for a few days and then spend a few other days traveling around. Larry

LPH

Thanks, Larry. My exact splits are in my log entry. I really aimed for even effort. I lost a little time in a park ou run through but the effort stayed consistent the whole race. This is definitely one of the best races I've run from a pacing standpoint. There wasn't much left out on the course.
                Really good splits, very consistent except for the Parkway area. Nice finish with a 7:59 1.1 (7:12M) , that is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Larry

LPH

jules2

Really good splits, very consistent except for the Parkway area. Nice finish with a 7:59 1.1 (7:12M) , that is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Larry
                  You might have nothing to sneeze at but I do as I've picked up a really bad cold and my key Half of the year is on Sunday plus my leg played up this week, nevermind I have 48 hours to recover.

Jazz hands!

I checked out the map and zoomed out to figure out where it was. The closest I've been to there is Morro Bay (except for Business travel to LA area. Hoping to be in Santa Cruz next March for a few days and then spend a few other days traveling around. Larry
                    It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, so it's pretty. Of course right now Santa Barbara is on fire so one of the roads into the Santa Ynez valley is closed... traffic going out tonight will NOT be fun. I'm hoping to get to the packet pickup before 8 (leaving LA around 5) but not exactly holding my breath. Ugh, I'm so nervous already. I've printed like a bajillion maps of the area, including one of the finish area with a big arrow that says, "YOU HERE AT 9AM" for my boyfriend. (The race starts at 7, I won't be there at 9).

jules2

It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, so it's pretty. Of course right now Santa Barbara is on fire so one of the roads into the Santa Ynez valley is closed... traffic going out tonight will NOT be fun. I'm hoping to get to the packet pickup before 8 (leaving LA around 5) but not exactly holding my breath. Ugh, I'm so nervous already. I've printed like a bajillion maps of the area, including one of the finish area with a big arrow that says, "YOU HERE AT 9AM" for my boyfriend. (The race starts at 7, I won't be there at 9).
                      Good luck, whats the weather going to be like?

jules2

Finished in 1:34:54 but shouldn't have really started as I have had a really bad cold for the last three days plus my leg played up, oh well I'm still alive and after the 10k I have next week end I will get back to basics and get some help with my leg. Towards the end my heart rate was getting lower because couldn't move my leg enough to raise my breathing, I hope that makes sense. How did anyone else do this weekend?

Jazz hands!

Great! I finished alive! 2:32:45, which is about what I was expecting. Race report is coming soon.
                            Finished in 1:34:54 but shouldn't have really started as I have had a really bad cold for the last three days plus my leg played up, oh well I'm still alive and after the 10k I have next week end I will get back to basics and get some help with my leg. Towards the end my heart rate was getting lower because couldn't move my leg enough to raise my breathing, I hope that makes sense. How did anyone else do this weekend?
                            What's up with your leg? Still a good time having a cold and a bum leg. Larry

LPH

Great! I finished alive! 2:32:45, which is about what I was expecting. Race report is coming soon.
                              Well you certainly have a grip on the real purpose of running and you're much better off than all of the couch potatoes. Great job of sticking to it and finishing the race. Waiting for the whole race rreport and most importantly,how you felt afterwards. Larry

LPH

Jazz hands!

Just posted a race report! http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/8126de91f4d84d799b1d08e8d1801825 I felt pretty good after the race--definitely like I accomplished something, glad that it was over. I don't know if I'll do another; I think it's the sort of thing I could do yearly at most. I'm still a little bit sore and ran a whopping 1.5 miles yesterday. But I also have a sweet medal and also a sense of accomplishment.