Half Marathon Trainers

Last Long Run; Amazing (Read 279 times)

Beatin' on the Rock

This was my last long run before race! I was apprehensive, but it turned out to be ... easy. Smile The weather was great - 55, sunny, light wind. The music was perfect. (Stones, Zeppelin, Genesis, mostly. Ok, some Apple Bottom Jeans Blush ) But, mostly, I think the things that made this planned 11 miler turn into a 12.5-er were: 1. I ate pretty good the last couple days; put carbs back into me, but in a more relaxed way. (I ate my Cini-raisin mini bagel, 1/2 banana, coffeee with the GOOD creamer and 2 Advil before the run. Much more comfy than soy shake sh1t.). 2. Wore good shoes for the trail; my pillows are too soft for the dirt. Can you believe it? $180 shoes to good for the trail?!? 3. My special Vaseline/Neosporin "Body Glide" substitute. No instep, armpit, or diaper rash! (Somebody's gotta say it out loud!) 4. Great surroundings: this trail is amazing; no ugly cars or mean people or loose dogs to torment me. 5. Tech duds: Tail tights, Reebok LS shirt, Nike Dri-Fit sport bra, Pearl Iz wicking headband to warm and wick and hold in my crazy amazing KOSS earbuds, Thorlos socks and Asics Wahine's - made for the dirt. I was, without a doubt, comfy. 6. Most important, I ran easy Big grin. Not slow, exactly. But in no way fast. Yes Comfy. It's all downhill from here. First HM, here I come! I may not be fast, but I think I'm gonna finish - and I will be HAPPY! Can't wait to hear what works for y'all. -Sally
    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
      Great to have a good run to put you in a positive frame of mind before the race, Sally! Regarding gear- I don't know what "taillights" are though I have got a headlight. I'm supposing red lights you pin to shoulder or somewhere so car drivers can see you? On a trail run? I use the Wright double layer socks, have not tried Thorlo. I have had blisters from regular tube socks on longer runs. The shirts and tight I wear don't chafe so I don't usually need BodyGlide. Do you usually take Advil before a long run? I sometimes take Ibuprofen if I'm aching afterwards. Good luck with the race, be sure to tell us about it. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Have a great Race!! Can't wait to read the race report. I did my "longest" run last weekend, 14 miles. I'm planning 10 this weekend and then 8 the following weekend... then its my race. First half for me. Jason
          Good luck Sally! I'm sure you'll do great Smile Smile Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Beatin' on the Rock

Do you usually take Advil before a long run? I sometimes take Ibuprofen if I'm aching afterwards. Good luck with the race, be sure to tell us about it. Simon.
            Thanks, Simon. Yes, I take Advil with my Cini-mini bagel and coffee with delectable creamer. Soon to follow the BodyGlide substitue, lip balm, hair endeavor (ponytail, bandana, visor), and then the zip pocket packing: pepper spray, tissues, lip blam, Hall's defense (my version of Cliff Shots) and finally, my peppermint Orbit to see me out the door. What a ritual I'm developing. Running ( or Jogging if Jake Knight is reading this) is fast becoming preliminarily labor intensive, it seems! But after Thursday's long run, I'm twirling. I WILL finish this half. Not sure what I will do after. Body for Life is calling me back, in many ways. Guess we'll see...

Beatin' on the Rock

Have a great Race!! Can't wait to read the race report. I did my "longest" run last weekend, 14 miles. I'm planning 10 this weekend and then 8 the following weekend... then its my race. First half for me. Jason
              I've been following you, Jason; we have close to the same plan and date! Can't wait to see how you do! -s-
              Ringmaster

Sally: I'm sooooo glad you had a good long run before your race! My last long before my race was fantastic too, and it helped put me in a good frame before my half . . . . tomorrow! I know you're going to run an amazing race!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile