Half Marathon Trainers

May (Read 30 times)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 9 AM miles yesterday, Pilates and 4 miles in the afternoon.  Tonight, I will do 8 on the TM with hills (since I don't have any).

cyberic, what Hog said.  Rest it until it gets better.  Did you ever get a proper diagnosis, so that it is not an SFx.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

lsp

Lump Off

MT - Take care of the hammy.  Luckily, I've never had to deal with that.

This is moving weekend for me so I have no running plans; just packing and moving. Woohoo!!!

redleaf

I think I mentioned in passing that I tweaked a hamstring at the end of my last race a few weeks ago. Actually on race day, I didn’t think it was much more than a pull or something that would clear up with a few easy days – didn’t have the usual ‘knife stab’ pain that accompanies hamstring tears. But the leg turned out to be seriously wounded and it’s been a rough couple weeks of limping runs since that race for me.

Having spent all of 2013 recovering from hamstring issues (other leg), I’m more than a little bummed by this. Not sure what the cause is, nor the fix. One area I’m going to look is changing shoes to new make/model. I used the same ASICs for years, then made a switch to NB, then the injuries started…could be no relationship, but it’s all I’ve got for ideas.

Other than that drama, May is trudging along on the running front. I did manage to log a few longer runs over the past 10 days, so I’m still going to run the half coming up next weekend – but not as any sort of a goal run…other than just finish faster than last year on this course and don’t hurt anything or make anything worse.

I do not like hamstrings. I do not. Sigh. Hope it's well and truly healed soon.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Cyberic

I'll do whatever it takes to heal other than stop running altogether. I mean I would stop running if I had to, but I will try everything else first. Strictly running easy is an option. It's the next step. This week I did a total of 8 minutes at maybe 5k speed and the rest has been easy. That's not much speed. I will try to heal keeping this once a week with a little speed, but if I need to, I'll run strictly easy. But there is improvement now that I quit the lunges, so I'm hopeful I finally put the finger on the problem.

I went for a beer lunch with my hockey buddies today, and want to be healthy for next season in September. I realized I love running but I miss the camaraderie of hockey.

Cyberic

Deleted message

hog4life

Barb, the NOBO stands for No Boundaries. It's a program put on by Fleet Feet and is based on the C25K plan. There is a head coach, then 8-12 mentors, depending on the size of the class. Each participant has to have a goal time at the end of the 10 week program. I am one of the mentors, and will "pace" some of the newbies to help them reach their goal. There's also a few perks, but is solely done on a volunteer basis. The head coach is my neighbor, and he "recruited" me when he was always seeing me running in our neighborhood.

SB, I hope your move goes well and the sinus crud gives you a break. Are you familiar with the Chattanooga Market? I'm looking at the Oktoberfest dates, which will coincide with the 7 bridges marathon/half.

MT - sorry about the pesky hamstring, REST and definitely check the shoes...dealing with PF early on it was all about the finding the right one for me.

Looks like I'm mostly recovered as my "spring cold" morphed into a fairly painful ear infection. A round of antibiotics later and I'm back in the game. I haven't run much since my 10k but I've walked to work at every opportunity (a bit more than 3 miles) 7 of 10 days. Feeling very lumpy!  Ran 30 minutes yesterday and after tea and toast I'm out for one hour today.  Planned out some easy running until mid July.

On the garden front, things are pretty slow,  still cold at night. Going to plant some green beans today.  The husband is framing a stair from the back deck to the back yard.

Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

Cyberic

Oh, and to finish off the May thread (for me), thanks to everyone with their kind advice, and Docket, no, I did not get proper diagnosis. I haven't even thought about it actually. I never go to doctors unless I'm really busted up. But if it doesn't get better in the next months, maybe I should consider it.

hog4life

9 miles and my pacing went well. I was matched with a young lady who's goal was 27:00. We were on pace through 2, then she faded a bit to cross in 27:32 which was good for 1st in her AG,  and a full one minute PRO for her. It just made my day to see the exhausted look of pure satisfaction for her. She was very kind, thanked me a hundred times; I couldn't be more happy for her.

I'm currently at 180 and change for the month, which is a monthly best for me. Thinking about doing a few more this evening, but I should really go for a bike ride since I'm doing a Bike MS ride on 45 miles next Saturday.