Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racer & Trainers - Oct 21 & 22 (Read 222 times)

an amazing likeness

One formal race entry on our calendar this week, and it's a doozy...with a capital D.  Kevin is putting his speed and training on the line for a sub-3 hour marathon. Holy Crrr....err Cow.  Go get it, Kevin...over the bouncy bridge twice...then hammer it home. That's going to be one heck of a PR.

Good luck! 

Oct 21 Gville Kevin Bay State Marathon 26.2 mi Lowell, MA

We've got a solid schedule of races in the coming weeks, so run safe in the shorter days.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks Andy. This race will be the culmination of 12 months of training since coming off injury last Sept/Oct, so it means a lot to me. Maybe too much sometimes, I think. 2012 has been way more than I’ve ever run in my life (this year already more miles than 2010 and 2011 combined), faster than I’ve ever been (PRs in mile, 5k, HM), and healthier than I’ve ever been (20 lbs. less than I weighed in HS – what!?). And it’s been 99% fun. This last week I’ve been stressing (normal I know), and I keep trying to remind myself that this is a hobby, and it’s fun, so stop worrying and go with it.

The goal (sub 3) for this one is weird. Usually when I hang a goal on a race, I’m not sure I’m capable of surpassing it, and try to put out one that seems like it’ll be a good challenge. Marathon seems different. I know based on the training I’m capable, but I haven’t a clue whether I’ll be able to execute on the day. Too many factors in a long race like that. And that this is sort of a “re-first” marathon (my one and only was back in 2000) adds to that lack of experience to fall back on. Should be interesting.

Anyway, I sure do appreciate this forum in particular for being a safe place to “talk” about this stuff. Nothing but smart support here.

Taking Monday off from work, so I should have time to put out a nice detailed report afterwards.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Good luck! I get the stress-three hours is definitely within your range but the marathon is a different beast. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

vegefrog

GO KEVIN GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that is such an amazing goal Smile I hope you not only achieve it, but feel good doing it!

Can't wait to read your race report!

Knock it out the park Kevin. Just looking through your log and you are sooooo ready. Your 20 miler a few weeks ago has got to give you a bunch of confidence.

You got this mate and like the others I too am looking forward to hearing all about it.

Go get 'em. Smile

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

HappyFeat

Your training results have been impressive, Kevin; have a great race! Run strong!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I am excited to see how you make out Kevin, 3 hours is universally accepted as a very high standard.

Just the fact this is in range is a great credit to your ability and determination!

On a much lower level, I am running a 10k tomorrow, I don't think it is on the calendar. Hoping for about 49 minutes after a 2 year taper(!),

but as the course is on a military base civilians are not allowed to pre-view the course, and I have not done the event before. Appears to be paved roads, I guess the tanks go somewhere else. No idea if it is flat or hilly.....

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I am excited to see how you make out Kevin, 3 hours is universally accepted as a very high standard.

Just the fact this is in range is a great credit to your ability and determination!

On a much lower level, I am running a 10k tomorrow, I don't think it is on the calendar. Hoping for about 49 minutes after a 2 year taper(!),

but as the course is on a military base civilians are not allowed to pre-view the course, and I have not done the event before. Appears to be paved roads, I guess the tanks go somewhere else. No idea if it is flat or hilly.....

HappyFeat

Good luck with the 10K, Simon! Hope you enjoy the course and the race.

I'm dawdling around this morning when I need to gear up for my Long Run (12 miles on my rolling hills paved bike trail). Yesterday I felt great and anticipated this would be a wonderful run. Today I woke up to low back pain, a tight AT, and twingey right hip....I hate getting old  Guess I'll start with some stretches and ROM movements.

an amazing likeness

....I hate getting old   

Beats the alternative...as they say. Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Base Borden Operation Hero 10k, 47:17, placed 12th of 160 2nd in M40 plus.

One of the soldiers honored played on the same baseball team as my son when they were both 14, his Dad was the coach.

Sapper Brian Collier, killed in Iraq, we chatted with his Dad for a while.

Nice event, not a very strong field, winner ran 39:51 I think.

Well friends, they say good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. Guess I earned myself some experience this morning. 

Maybe "bad" judgement is a little harsh. I still think 3 was/is in my range, but today, was not meant to be. And the fact is, I'm a cramper. I cramped in my half in April, I cramp when I do yardwork, and I cramped today. I technically did everything I should have. Took gatorades at every stop. Fueled what should have been properly. And paced reasonably well (I guess there's the rub - maybe it really was too fast for my fitness).

Anyway, day started out great. Hooked up with a couple of guys with similar pace. We cruised through 10, nailing the splits. Got through the half at exactly 1:29. I was feeling really good through 17. And then got the first hint. The little twitch in the calf. Then the little twitch in the hammy. They were starting to bark. 

Mile 18 was "okay", still on pace, but could feel the cramps coming. Mile 19 more of the same, but even more twitching. Then mile 20. I was there at 2:16:40 - exactly on pace. And bam. It went to pot. All six major leg areas cramped. Left and right calf, left and right hammy, left and right quad. All at once. Ouch. I ran through, slowed waaay down. Things would calm when I slowed, then the slightest pick up and BAM. Seize again. Rinse and repeat for 6.2. It wasn't pretty. And it hurt like hell. 

Gutted through to come in at 3:06:45. Not the prettiest race. But, I'm not too beat up about it. Sub 3 really would be great, and I think if I raced it a few more times, there's a good chance I could come up with it. But not today. Not entirely sure what I'd do differently. But I have plenty of time to think about it. 

And hey, in the end, still a BQ, and a pretty decent time. And best of all, met a bunch of great RA peeps at the expo, on the course, and at the bar afterwards. And that was all totally worth it. 

Thanks for the support here. 

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          HappyFeat

Hey Kev - congratulations on on your new marathon PR!!

About the cramping issue, especially since you said it's not limited to running, I thought I'd toss a few things out there.

1) protein:  A couple years ago when I was having a bad time with leg cramps and worried about an upcoming race, Nobbie gave me the advice to look at my protein intake to be sure I wasn't getting too much. As it turned out, since I supplement, I was probably taking in too much. I cut back on the protein and had a significant decrease of cramps to nearly none.

2) potassium: Also in prep for that race I loaded up on bananas for potassium which is supposed to help with cramping. I did not have any cramping in that race, and really since then. I continue to eat at least one banana per day and I don't overdo the protein. I always have a banana about an hour before any long run or race.

3) cal/mag:  Another thing would be to make sure you get adequate calcium and magnesium.  It's probably an individual thing. I admit I also supplement both of these. You could check your diet and see if you are getting at least 1200 mg calcium and 400 mg minimum of magnesium. You need both, the calcium is for muscle contraction, the mag is for muscle relaxation; and they work together.  Years ago, I used to get chronic back spasms which were finally resolved with magnesium supplementation.

3) sodium:  I know you said you drink Gatorade, but it's possible you require more sodium for runs longer than 90 minutes. You might consider adding into the picture an S-Cap or something similar and see if that changes things for you. (S-Caps have both sodium and potassium.) 

Hope some of this is helpful.

vegefrog

Awesome Kevin!!! Sucks about the cramping, but your toughness to battle through it is inspiring. BQ Woohoooooo! Smile

Great effort Kevin, and no doubt you will break the 3 hour barrier in your next attempt.  Boston may not be the course for that, though.