Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - June (Read 567 times)

The Terminator

Hey gang!

I'm currently in week 2 of 15 training for the Wilson Bridge Half in MD/ VA on September 19.  I thought I would try my first full this Fall, but because my race times are improving (due to FINALLY being consistent with the training), I decided to spend the rest of the year working on bringing down race times from 5K to HM.

My current HM PR was set in 2007 or 2008 after some half-assed "training" and is 2:32Tight lippedx.  I hope that on September 19 I can break 2 hours.

I'm off to a slow start.  I've had some pain in the back of my leg (near the knee joint) for about 6 weeks, so I've been trying to take it easy.  I'll be ramping up slowly and steadily for the next few months.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

Welcome to Bones and Julia! It is always nice to have new members join our group.

Let us know how things progress, we can all benefit fron talking about our training.

I am just trying to get started again after a long period of limited activity due to various reasons, and find the warmer weather requires some getting used to.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks.
        "I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." Jesse Owens "If you're not impacting people, if you're not giving people the tools to do something for themselves, what are you about?" Bob Babbitt
        dfh

Hi all! Yet another new member (both to this group and to runningahead.com) checking in from Sweden!

Got my first HM coming up on july 24. I'll be happy just to complete it, since it's a first, but I'm secretly kindof hoping for a time slightly above the two hour mark.

Been running on and off since about two years back, with more regularity in the last couple of months. My current training strategy is to extend my long (and very slow!) runs to the 3 hour mark for endurance, while mixing in some interval sessions (400s and 800s) for speed.

I try to approach my running on both the physical and the mental/spiritual plane, with enjoyment and learning being my primary goals (see the running manifesto I wrote a while back, if you're interested: http://9-0-0-2.org/2009/11/my-running-manifesto/). Anyway at the moment this is getting me into barefoot/minimal footwear running.

So, that's it, basically just wanted to check in with you - this seems to be a nice place!
          running for life!

Beginner all over again

Good luck to those of you with First HM's coming up.

I finished my first HM in May.

My June training goals were to do Low Hear Train training runs by Time (not distance)

and to gradually increase my Time on Feet.

I only run every other day, about 3 times a week.

My First Goal was get to get to three Runs weekly of duration:

1:30

1:00

2:30

(I also do a :15 minute WarmUp and a :15 minute CoolDown)

I should achieve that goal around the 4th of July.  I'm doing Long Run 2:20 this week

July's Goal will be to add  a Walk-Only on a 4th running day weekly and build up to :30 minutes walking on that 4th day.

August goal will be to add add some Run Segments to gradually lengthen that 4th running day.

My June training went pretty well considering some setbacks with working overtime, some migraine headaches, and Life generally interruping my training plans.   My log is public so you can see what I've been up to

Great job at it, everyone...I'll see you in the "JULY" thread !

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The second half of June went better for me than the first half. I'm on my second week of half training. I'm not doing the speedwork, just using the plan as a mileage guide. Today is supposed to be a tempo run so thinking maybe just an easy run of the same duration. Maybe later in the program, I'll try a tempo, but not ready right now. I think this training cycle is to finish my first half marathon; I suspect later I'll want to do a second one and worry more about speed for that one.

I'm pretty happy with where I am with my yearly running goals after a couple of setbacks this spring.

Nice to see some new company here too!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Beginner all over again

is anyone here still training for a next HM?

I'll start an April 2011 thread, see how many active folks visit.

Smile