Half Marathon Trainers

May training and racing. (Read 47 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome back, Teresa! You are right; you can't help your boys if you don't take care of you. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

I'm going to join in on this group again!.... I'm going to sign up for another half marathon late September or early October.  I've also signed up for the Beach to Beacon 10K in August.

It feels good to be back!!

Welcome back Teresa!  Good to see you're able to get back into some runs and races, especially in this beautiful fall weather we're having*.

If you're looking for fall race options other than Maine Marathon, give some thought to the Moose Pond Half (Bridgton) which was new last year, or Seacoast Half (Portsmouth). Both are really nice courses, two of my favorites.

[(*) Inside reference...Teresa and I live a few miles apart (but have never met). We've had two weather days which are duplicates of Sept weather...bright, clear, frost overnight, 55F days with NW winds....]

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

I'm going to join in on this group again!  The past two and a half years have been very hard - both my sons (now 18 and 20) were diagnosed with severe mental illnesses.  It's taken all of my energy and strength just to take care of them.  My older son was in the hospital a total of 32 days in the period of March 9 to April 23.  But I'm realizing (duh!) that I need to take care of myself, so I have started running and exercising very regularly.

I DID run/walk the St. Louis Half Marathon, along with about 15 other RunningAhead gals in early April (happened to be in between the two hospitalizations, fortunately).  It was painful - took me about 3 hours, 10 minutes.  But I did it, and it helping motivate me now.  I'm going to sign up for another half marathon late September or early October.  I've also signed up for the Beach to Beacon 10K in August.

It feels good to be back!!

HI!!!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Welcome back Teresa!   I'm new here.

Joining this thread a bit late in the month, I finished the Cincinnati Flying Pig half 8 minutes faster than last year.  Happy about that.  still not a sub-2:30 - missed it by 47 seconds.  at what point could I have run faster.....  hmmmmm......

No runs scheduled 'til August.  that's kinda depressing..... Sad

Tamma-run

Tammarin.....

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Welcome back Teresa!  Good to see you're able to get back into some runs and races, especially in this beautiful fall weather we're having*.

If you're looking for fall race options other than Maine Marathon, give some thought to the Moose Pond Half (Bridgton) which was new last year, or Seacoast Half (Portsmouth). Both are really nice courses, two of my favorites.

[(*) Inside reference...Teresa and I live a few miles apart (but have never met). We've had two weather days which are duplicates of Sept weather...bright, clear, frost overnight, 55F days with NW winds....]

Thanks, Andy!  I'm pretty sure I have seen you running in town!

I appreciate your thoughts about fall HMs.  Which of those two is flatter?

an amazing likeness

I appreciate your thoughts about fall HMs.  Which of those two is flatter?

Teresa -- Seacoast is flatter, bigger race (1200 runners), fills pretty quickly -- beautiful coastal course which starts out downhill, and unfortunately you come back up the same hill from 12.5 to 13 miles.  Moose Pond starts and finishes at Shawnee Peak, 200 runners last year (it will grow this year) beautiful country roads through Sweden, is generally climbing to 6.5 with major hill from 5 - 6.5, then downhill to 10 and flat to the finish.

Maine Marathon half is, as you know, less hills than either of those two. The other two are also in November versus early Oct for Maine, so a bit more risk in the weather lottery.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the info, Andy.  I think I will stick with Maine for this year.  I have to build up to hills more before I try one of the others.

hog4life

Hi Teresa, my name is Mitch. I'm fairly new to RA but plan on staying a long time. I've done 4 halves, hope to do my first full in December. I'm sorry to hear about the kiddos, I know how difficult that can be. I am also one to believe in the take care of number 1 first.

Tamma, hi to you too. I'm in N Alabama, and have thought about Talledaga, but haven't pulled the plug on that. I did the Mercedes half in Feb, and it was fantastic IMO, I will definitely do it again.

I'm back working day shift this week, so hope to be back in the mid 30's. I have about decided on 3 halves (Sept, Oct, Nov), and a full in December. All are here local or within a 1 hour drive. I want to ask some questions about a few different things that pertain to the 4 races like mileage, planstrebuchet one to race and which to use as training runs, etc. do you think I should post a seperate thread? Or just ask here in the monthly threads?

an amazing likeness

I want to ask some questions about a few different things that pertain to the 4 races like mileage, planstrebuchet one to race and which to use as training runs, etc. do you think I should post a seperate thread? Or just ask here in the monthly threads?

Your call Mitch...but one advantage of a separate topic is that you want have to keep the conversation going over multiple monthly topics as the year goes on.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, Mitch!  Good to meet you.  I hope you enjoy RA as much as I have.  There are a lot of great people on here.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Busy week at work but I managed 9 miles on Monday and 3.25 (with hubby) and weights last night.  SRD for me today.

Z, what did the doctor say?

Teresa, I'm basically new too but welcome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, Damaris!

I managed 4.5 miles this morning.  I still have to walk a lot, though, grr.  I'm hoping it will get easier as I lose weight.  I'm also making myself run up some hills even though my body protests!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I love that this forum is getting busier again. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

only been on RA a short time but have picked up a lot of great info!  great site!

Tammarin.....

Zelanie

Hi Teresa and Olive!  I look forward to getting to know you better!

I finally got in to see the doctor today, and he thinks it's patellar tendonitis.  Apparently my kneecaps tilt outwards which puts strain on the tendon, plus I have a clompy stride which doesn't help matters.  I start PT next week and the good news is I should be back to running on soft, flat surfaces pretty soon.  The bad news is this is the sort of thing that you "manage" more than you "cure".