Half Marathon Trainers

When work disrupts.... training question? (Read 363 times)

POSTED ALSO IN MAY TRAINERS..... DUPLICATED FOR BETTER CHANCE OF ANSWER..... Wink Original post: I am traveling on business this week, and I am forced to " try" to run on Dreadmills of the hotel quality. I had to run 4 miles and thought I would puke from heat, and boredom. I was supposed to do a 2 mile or cross train yesterday, but where I stayed last night, they had an electrical storm the night before and the auto locks on the fitness center shorted out, as well as the equipment. no run. Since I ran my butt off with my work gig, between several different venues, I considered it my Xtrain..... Here it is Thursday evening, I am SHOT. Sleeping like shit, feel worn out. should run 4 today, but I really feel like i should not, as my body is just not right. I am going to try for tomorrow morning, although it is supposed to be a rest day..... I am afraid of not getting the miles in. I get back home on Saturday evening. If I don't run tomorrow, will I still be okay to run my 6 on Sunday or should I scale it back?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

Cheffy .... Sometimes life gets in the way. Try not to stress the interruptions in your training. If you feel you need to scale back Sunday's run, by all means do so. It sounds to me like you have really taken to your running and are in it for the long haul. If that's the case then a few missed runs here and there won't make any difference. This coming from a guy who is anal about his running and gets very irritated when he has to bag a run. Wink

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm always switching days around, so I see nothing wrong with your running tomorrow. If it were me, I would definitely go for the 6 on Sunday, too. I always tell myself that I should just GO, and if I need to stop after a couple of miles, that's OK! And I've walked only once since the beginning of December. I wish you knew me IRL so you would understand what a miracle that is!! Surprised Having said that, I will have no problem if I NEED to walk at any point. I know the heat will take a big toll on me since I'm a cold-weather gal.
          Cheffy .... Sometimes life gets in the way. Try not to stress the interruptions in your training. If you feel you need to scale back Sunday's run, by all means do so. It sounds to me like you have really taken to your running and are in it for the long haul. If that's the case then a few missed runs here and there won't make any difference. This coming from a guy who is anal about his running and gets very irritated when he has to bag a run. Wink
          I was SO hoping you would see this and respond..... THANKS SO MUCH. I feel so much better now. I am going to concentrate on working and getting back to my home running sanctuary and have a great relaxing 6 miles on Sunday.... Thanks Coach! Wink

Prince of Fatness

No problem. I don't post in here quite as often since my next HM probably won't be until next April, but I check in often to see how everyone is doing. I definitely don't qualify as a coach, but if me sharing my personal experiences helps you and others, it's all good. I'm just giving back a little of what was (and still is) given to me. That's what it's all about.

Not at it at all. 

No problem. I don't post in here quite as often since my next HM probably won't be until next April, but I check in often to see how everyone is doing. I definitely don't qualify as a coach, but if me sharing my personal experiences helps you and others, it's all good. I'm just giving back a little of what was (and still is) given to me. That's what it's all about.
              Better than ANY online training coach..... Wink Both you and Sarge have been so great to me with the advice. It's a great motivator knowing anything you have a question about is just a post away. I'll keep posting, so thanks for keepin watch! Smile

double post..... oops. Stupid Hotel Internet.

Hey Cheffy... Sometimes, I've found that when work or other obligations you can't control keep you from training, the best thing is to psych yourself up--like "I've been trying to do this for days and now I'm about to bolt out my front door the minute I get home and change!". I've had some of my best, longest runs spring out of nowhere from that mentality. Also, on days you are forced to take off, treat your body to some long stretching. Spend up to a half hour stretching out deeply...that way, you're really taken advantage of the day as a recovery day! Kate
                    Cheffy, I'm very fortunate right now, that I don't do much travel for work, but the wife and I do go away alot. I'm also forutnate, that my kids are all grown and out of the house, so I have less interuptions in my schedule, but likle everyone else, things come up (including weather) that interferes with the plans. There is absolutely nothing wrong with suffling your scedule around. Like you, I hate hotel workout rooms and cheap equipment. An alternative suggestion, would be to do some swimming. I'm a terrible swimmer and don't like the water, but I do mange to swim laps doing back stroke, side stroke and modified butterly. And you can also do just leg workouts etc in the pool and it's very low impact. So since you travel so much, maybe you might want to look into this and see if it works for you. I know there are lots of exercise routines for pool workouts available. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Cheffy, this may be redundant as the question has already been answered, but here is my opinion: Someone at our level is not likely to lose much fitness/conditioning even by having a week off, or by having a couple of weeks with only two runs. (At the elite level I am sure there is an effect from missing even one workout). My own log shows a big variation in mileage from week to week, though the months are much steadier, and I think that's good enough for a beginner like me-I seem to be slowly progressing. At this point most important is probably just the total cumulative mileage since day #1. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.