Half Marathon Trainers

September (Read 37 times)

Happy Belated birthday, glad you put those gift cards to use instead of throwing them in a drawer and forgetting about them.  Enjoy the Garmin, they are wonderful devices.

How did the 12 miler go yesterday.

Tomorrrow morning I'll head out for a 12-mile training run, my last "long" run before tapering for the next couple of weeks!  I'm getting increasingly more excited about my HM.  I've started reviewing race calendars looking for more HM opportunities.

Having just celebrated a birthday, I took the gift cards that I received and purchased a Garmin Forerunner 210.  After a couple of runs I'm looking forward to being more in tune with my pace while I'm running.  One of my goals for 2014 is to improve my 5K time, so I'm hoping that a better sense of my pacing will help.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

buckindb

It went well.  I think that for the first time I found "the wall".  At about 10.5 miles, I felt as though I simply had nothing left to give.  My pace started to drop, and I tried and tried to "push" through and get moving again.  It was tough, but I finished.

The course I've been running lately is mostly flat, with the exception of a couple of notable climbs.  I believe that the route of the race may include more hills, so we'll see how I perform in 2 weeks!

As depressing as hiting the wall might seem, I think it's good for us to find the wall and now you have to figure out can you conquer the wall?

So was it just that it was one of those not so good running days?  A bad nights sleep?  A bad preparation before the run?  Or maybe in improper/inadequate refueling/hydration during the run?  Might I suggest you look at that and share with us and get the groups advice and lessons learned on it.

Normally I would say, figure it out and go out and beat it and be mentally prepared, but with 2 weeks left you don't have that time.  If you have read my blogs the past month, I had issues with a hill on the course I was going to run, thaqt I hadn't been able to beat.  I planned a run to attack it earlier in the race to beat it mentally and at the same time a loop to hit it twice in the same run.  I was successful and what it did for me mentally in preparfation and completion of my race was unmeasureable.

So we're here to help you, no time for actual practice, but maybe we can help analyze what went wrong.  We're listening!

LPH

buckindb

Awesome!  Thanks!

I was traveling for business all of last week.  Generally speaking, I do not sleep well while on the road.  Additionally, I wasn't able to get all the miles in that I needed.  I gambled and went ahead for the 12 today.  I really think that this was probably the source of the trouble today.

In terms of refueling, I've had luck with the Clif Shot Bloks.  The strategy that I have been using is 3 blocks, 3 times, at 3, 6, and 9 miles.  I'm wondering if I should try and add more somewhere?  I think that I had the last 3 a little early, maybe 8.5 miles.  I was coming up on one of the climbs and wanted to get then in before.

I carry a 16.9oz water with me and this morning I probably drank half of it over the course of the run.

Zelanie

buckin- Sometimes we just have bad runs, too.  Usually for me that means that the next one will be better.  The lack of sleep could play a big part in it.  At least, I've noticed that the more I run, the more I need to sleep.  And my pulse rate is definitely lower on mornings that I've slept for long enough!  Congrats on the Garmin!

For fueling, I think you're probably fine.  I have heard it can take up to 30 minutes for the sugar to get into your bloodstream anyway.

Buckin, I agree with Zel and think you hit it on the head wit the lack of sleep and travel (damn business crap gets in the way of our running.  I'm heading out to Rockford IL next week and they asked me today to go to the Netherlands, but think I'll decline that one.

I like you approach for refueling.  As Zel said and I've read it as well, that it can take time to get it into your system  So you can't wait for the tank to be on empty before taking in some fuel.

As to what, that's a personal preference for each person.  If you like your cleft bars and you feel like you'll getting enough from them, then you're good.

However I do think that you are not taking enough water/fluid in.  Same rules apply, you can't wait to you're dry and dehydrated to take in fluids. I always carry gatoraid or poweraid or a endurance mix with me as well as water.

LPH

buckindb

Zel and Larry, thanks for the insight!  As my runs have become longer over the past month, I've had to learn to carry water with me.  No fancy hydration belt or anything.  I just carry a small water bottle.  Generally, I sip on it around the time that I take in 3 Shot Bloks.  It looks like there will be Aid stations about every 2 miles, so I'll try to grab water more frequently.

Would there be any reason to carry some additional water with me?

Zelanie

Buckin,  I carried a handheld water bottle during my HM because I haven't yet learned how to drink from cups and run at the same time!

AFM- I got a nice 6 mile run in tonight.  Legs felt great, even.

Besides the obvious that Zel added in, yes!  If you are drinking or using any sports drinks and take them whenever you want.  I don't count on Water stations, I drink often, regularly and whenever I want by carrying my own and avoid the "CUP" issue as well as the bumping into people etc.

Would there be any reason to carry some additional water with me?

LPH