Half Marathon Trainers

i have a question for you - restarting running (Read 30 times)

redleaf

As you probably all remember, consistency is not my strong suit. Those of you I am friends with on fb know I've recently been really really sick - just a horribly bad cold that now finally seems like it's going away.  My last run was on January 1 and I didn't get much running done over the holidays at all.

Right now I'm about 5 weeks out from my half, and another 5 weeks after that for my 30k.

So should I just pick up wherever I should be in the plan and work towards that? Or start at the beginning of the plan and ease into the higher long run weeks?

I'm planning on short and easy tomorrow and once on the weekend to test out where I am but I'm not sure if I can go from there to a 20k long run the Sunday after.

I made up the plan based on the Higdon Novice marathon plan so maybe the third option is redo the next ten weeks treating the 30k date as the end of Higdon's half training plan and just increasing the long runs towards the end.

Anyway, thoughts? and wish me luck as I restart this craziness.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Your goal race is really the 30K, yes? You can treat the half like a long run when you rework your plan.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

redleaf

Your goal race is really the 30K, yes? You can treat the half like a long run when you rework your plan.

Absolutely. That's the idea. Here's a revamped plan Smile

HF #4362

Cyberic

I'd like to help out, but plans are not my strong point. Training is training, and the idea is to try not to get hurt. So whatever you try, whenevr you have doubts between two options, choose the easy one.

redleaf

I'd like to help out, but plans are not my strong point. Training is training, and the idea is to try not to get hurt. So whatever you try, whenevr you have doubts between two options, choose the easy one.

Yea, I think all I'm going to do is get time on my feet. I need to give myself one more chance to work on the consistency Smile

Y'all are so patient with me thanks.

I don't want to read anything that'll mess with me before the 30 k but a friend gave me that big book of endurance (or something like that) so I figured after the 30K I'll work on not letting everything slide and read that as I try to figure out what to do.

HF #4362

Docket_Rocket

I like the idea of treating the HM as your training run.  I would try to get as many miles as you can (and time on your feet) without feeling overwhelmed, so at this point, I would say do only easy runs and work from there.  Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redleaf

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to do the half in a couple of weeks but not the 30k. I don't want to do it just to do it and that's all it would be right now.

In fact, after the half I'm going to drop down a whole bunch and concentrate on being healthier overall and working on my running in a different way. All that to say I'll be very very quiet in here but hopefully y'all won't boot me out Big grin

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to do the half in a couple of weeks but not the 30k. I don't want to do it just to do it and that's all it would be right now.

In fact, after the half I'm going to drop down a whole bunch and concentrate on being healthier overall and working on my running in a different way. All that to say I'll be very very quiet in here but hopefully y'all won't boot me out Big grin

You know what is right for you. Races will be there later. ATB has been around longer than the Boston Marathon; it's not going anywhere. It'll be there for you another year if you want it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on working on your running a different way in a couple of months when you have thought more on it and know what that means to you. *hugs*

And as if you could stay away from the LLR! Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

redleaf

You know what is right for you. Races will be there later. ATB has been around longer than the Boston Marathon; it's not going anywhere. It'll be there for you another year if you want it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on working on your running a different way in a couple of months when you have thought more on it and know what that means to you. *hugs*

And as if you could stay away from the LLR! Wink

Sorry Meg - didn't see this post. We're not in the LLR lol I meant being booted from the half training group Smile

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sorry Meg - didn't see this post. We're not in the LLR lol I meant being booted from the half training group Smile

I can't keep track sometimes. LOL! I meant you can't stay away from RA! Wink

Half Fanatic #9292.