Half Marathon Trainers

First-timers, or first-again (Read 42 times)

Nana_

Are you training for your First HM?

Or first-again in a long time ?

Anyone else here kinda new at this?

:-)

hog4life

Are you training for your First HM?

Or first-again in a long time ?

Anyone else here kinda new at this?

:-)

Jo, there are both, you should stay around, there are lots of great people here that can offer some good advice.

Cyberic

I'm actually training for a 10k right now. After that, I'll train for my second half-marathon. And after that, I have no idea.

Zelanie

That was me last year. I ran my first HM a year ago this weekend. I read tons of race reports ahead of time to help me get a sense of what to expect. Plus I got tons of advice from here. Smile

One thing I will say was that reading about the training of so many vets I think might have made me push a little harder than what I was able to handle, and I didn't know as much about recognizing when I needed to pull back and take a little extra recovery. Hopefully I got the balance a bit better this time around.

From the Internet.

I'm finally aiming for my first half this fall. I've done long runs up to 10 miles already this year, but I'd like to have a lot of experience running up to/over 2 hours and some speedwork under my belt before I run an actual race - I can say "I just want to finish" until I'm blue in the face, but I know myself too well and in a race setting I'm definitely going to want to push it a bit.

One thing I will say was that reading about the training of so many vets I think might have made me push a little harder than what I was able to handle, and I didn't know as much about recognizing when I needed to pull back and take a little extra recovery. Hopefully I got the balance a bit better this time around.

Ooh yes. I have had setbacks (mostly shin splints) over the last couple of years from running too hard when I shouldn't have. I have all sorts of mental fortitude and guts, but my legs don't necessarily appreciate those qualities Smile

I ran in high school, college and until I was about 25 - Then took a long hiatus from racing - almost 20 year.  Just got back into it last year - at age 44 - Have run 2 HMs, a few 10Ks and a 15K - Going to attempt a full in 7 days.

All of the training regimes and racing strategies are so different from 20 years ago.  There was no such thing as fueling during a race - you drank water and maybe they had gatorade.  The clothing and equip are amazing now -

Honestly I think running is a life changer - serious training and efforts - no matter the speed or the outcome give me a better sense of self.  I love the racing - but I LOVE the training and pushing it on a weekly basis.

If you are new stick around!

Ready, go.

redleaf

just adding a hello. I'm new and not so new but mostly I consider myself a rookie - my training has gone off the rails more times than I would like to admit. Everyone here is helpful and there's a huge store of information and advice to draw on.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362