Half Marathon Trainers

December is here! (Read 527 times)

Just to get things started for the new month I did some speedwork this week, ran a 5k tempo in 23:28 so I was quite pleased.

Got to work on my long runs though, I have done low mileage the last couple of weeks, minor injury, funeral of a close friend, and this week some Christmas shopping.

Hope to get back on track this week!

How is everyone else doing?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I did my first 0km week for the year Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

My mileage has been very low recently, too, for a couple of reasons.

Planning to pick things up this week, Christmas shopping all done, only problem now is lots of snow.

I did 17.2kms, just under 11 miles, on Sunday, with 4 inches of snow down and more falling. The main roads were ploughed but when there were cars I had to use the shoulder.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I did a "gentle" warm up hike for my Makorako attempt which may be happenning (if weather and logistics are playing ball) in 2 weeks time. 32km 2780m total climb and over 13 hours on the rough stuff. I am still sore 3 days later!  As such I am not running as my quads are fried!! Shocked

Weather has been so good that we may have a window way earlier in the season than expected so may be back into the running earlier than expected too if i tick a few boxes on the climbing front earlier than I thought!

One thing I learnt in the weekend is running is easy. It is really a bit of a "pansies" sport - so safe, so predictable, so controlled.  Still great stuff but man I nearly died in a pool of vomit on the side of the "track" on Sunday!!  I was served death 3 ways by the exercise gods. I know how those marathoners must feel!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Low mileage here, too, recently.  Been averaging in the high teens (miles) per week...........maybe 3 runs at 5 to 7 miles each.  I have been busy and stressed at work, so long hours are keeping me away and my attitude poor.  Oh, well.  I hope everyone else is doing well.  Tomorrow I plan on a 7 mile trail run in one of my favorite spots......

Cheers!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

December is here and I'm still around. Not getting any running in but hitting the stationary bike 3-4 days a week to try to keep some cardio up. Got the winter blues already and can't wait for spring to see daylight, sunshine and fresh air (that isn't freezing cold). Will plan on hitting the treadmill in Jan and try to mix the two until the weather changes. The time off has been good, but it's made me lazy. Fortunately, I've been watching my diet more closely and trying to cut portions down and have only put on a couple of lbs from where I was in Sept when I pulled the calf again. Anyway, Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holiday to everyone! Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Merry Xmas all

I have changed tack a lot and now doing a lot of hills and stair running/ walking to build strength for the big hikes I have planned.  Unfortunately after a couple of months of dry weather we have been hit with a good 2 weeks of hot steamy, wet tropical weather with wind.  Not a good combo for hikes that involve exposed tops and river crossings.

So damn it, its a weather waiting game for me now and trying to keep some sort of fitness!!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to everyone!

I think you should regain your fitness quite quickly, Larry, because you are keeping things `ticking over`. Probably good to do some swimming if you have access to a pool.

Vino, hiking up mountains does sound tough, but more of an endurance activity- I don`t think that would suit me- I like to go fast (well fast for me....)

We have quite a bit of snow in my part of Canada, so running conditions have not been good. If I had spare money I would join a gymfor the treadmills.

Keep running, everyone!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to everyone!

I think you should regain your fitness quite quickly, Larry, because you are keeping things `ticking over`. Probably good to do some swimming if you have access to a pool.

Vino, hiking up mountains does sound tough, but more of an endurance activity- I don`t think that would suit me- I like to go fast (well fast for me....)

We have quite a bit of snow in my part of Canada, so running conditions have not been good. If I had spare money I would join a gymfor the treadmills.

Keep running, everyone!

Hi Simon

Yes it's endurance alright!

Well had a shot on xmas day on day 1 of tagging my summit goal but failed.  Had to pull out after the first ascent as was sick/ too unfit/ exhausted.  I just am not myself at the moment..running on a cylinder or two less.  My partner managed the awesome feat of up and down in a day. Get this:  57km hiking, 4400 vertical metres ascent in 19.5 hours leaving at 3:15am in the morning and back at 10:45pm.  That is just crazy stuff and outside my ability even on my best day i think!!.  2 days on i set out to run 10km on the flat and blew up after 6km. 

However I have the holidays now to think about things and come up with a plan to get back into some sort of competitive shape.

Merry Xmas all

So I finish the year with 2/5 goals achieved.  not such a great pass mark but i gave them all a good shot except for the 10km thing (only entered one race)

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Well, only a couple more days of 2010.........and after an 8 miler this morning, all I need is 7.4 miles to reach 1100 miles, total for the year!......thus, shattering my 1000 mile goal.  Feels pretty good, if I do say so myself.  Gonna hit a snowy 4+ mile trail run tomorrow and then doing a "resolution" 5K on New Year's Eve with an old friend.

I hope everyone is doing well and that you all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Ran a ratshit 5km this morning.  Still not that well!  Will run again tomorrow 5km to clock over 1700km for the year, but I expect I will not enjoy it.  Then it will be a few cold beers for new years eve (but not too many!!).

New Years Day off to get my kids to the top of Mt Ngarauhoe or as you people in other countries would know it "Mt Doom" from Lord of the Rings :-)  There are some good stair sections to get to the base of the cone itself so maybe some stair running?? Hopefully they are not too confident or I may be a pool of sick on the slopes in their dust. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Mt Doom

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

IMKY13 finish!!

thus, shattering my 1000 mile goal.  Feels pretty good, if I do say so myself.  

WTG!!!  Yes, it does feel great!!!  My goal was 1,500 for the year and I'm currently at 1,513.4 with a 6 miler planned for this afternoon.

My goal for 2011 is 1,600 miles

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Good job onsurpassing your goals, Sean!

Vino, that thing looks intimidating, I think I`ll stick to running.

Well done, Pablo! Weight loss before and after pics are quite impressive.

I tried something fun today, ran some flat out striders on my run. Not very accurate results necessarily but it seems I can run 100meters in about 18 seconds, though with a rolling start! Pretty sad effort, really. Better stick to the longer distances I think...

Happy New Year!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Simon I know how you feel on short distances. My 12yo daughters beat me on 400m now!!

7km to finish the year in awful heat and humidity but I actually put together a reasonable effort 33:30 and more importantly dropping my girls just after half way (they had me worried)

So over the 1700km for the year.  Now for some beers. Happy new year all!!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: