Half Marathon Trainers

HM Training Group (Read 544 times)

Our local hospital's Wellness Program center is starting a training program for the up coming Indy Mini. Supposed to cover all he basics. I'll keep you all posted as I plan on signing up today.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

That sounds like fun, Good luck!
      Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
        Good luck and have fun!!!
        Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
          Our training program for the Indy Mini started last night. Smile Teresa
            7:30 Sat morning! Can't wait!! What is you est for race? I am shooting for around 2:40 We need to put up a poster RUNNING AHEAD at the Westson Lobby. I'll bet there are others here that are running this one.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I'm shooting for 2:10 this year. I figure shouldn't have any trouble beating last year's time. I stopped to go to the bathroom *3* times! Blush Teresa
                I was lucky in that I didn't need to make those stops. As a diabetic that is a problem, I drink because I must stay hydrated but then the kidneys kick it right out again.

It sure is different training with a group! I had my best 2 miler since Sept 30th!!! We each received a notebook and some handouts. Plus a log book. You know one needing a pen or other old fashoned device to scatch letters and numbers in. Jake would love that. Our 16 week schedule the first 6 weeks covering some aspect of running and cross training. IE injuries, Warming up and streching, Winter dress, how to pick the right shoe, basic physiology etc Then we did a nice easy warm up jog followed by more streching, then a nice and easy 2 miles at our own pace. Next week is scheduled for 3 miles, adding miles each Saturday. It is of course up to each of us to run during the week so we are ready for the Saturday run. I talked to one of the leaders about this site. Hope to see some of the people show up here. GAWD but that pumped me up!!! Solo is nice but a group is supportive and feeds each other.

Running with people...and running outside gets me going farther and longer than a treadmill anyday!!
                    Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                      It really does help!! The weather here right now is nasty. Wind cold and rain! I did 2 miles on a cross country ski machine last night. I worked up a really good sweat and my hear rate was in th zone, but it sure didn't feel like I was actually doing anyhting

Our next group session is tomorrow with a scheduled 3 miles. I have run 8.1 miles this week of a scheduled 10. My legs are not yet used to the running after the injury (not running related). My runs have improved with 2 runs completed without any walking!! Now of course my knee after 2 days rest is protesting, so tomorrow is the first time since mid Aug that I'll be runing with a knee brace. This too shall pass, if my past running is any indication. But it is something that maddens me just the same. Why can't my body at lest pretend to be 18 and do what I ask? We are also having someone in that will check our shoes and how we run and walk and make recommendations. I don't need shoes at this point as I only have 112 running miles on the ones I currently use. But at lwast I'll know better what I'll need when the time comes and not have to drive 70 miles to have my run style checked first.

We had a nice COLD 3 miles. It was less than 20 degress out and I ended up with an icy beard. I mean good sized chunks of ice!! And here I thought winter was a myth Wink My time was horrible!! 3 miles in 39:38! I ran my first 5k race almost 3 minutes faster!! Sad!! Last week my thighs really got sore so I didn't run the scheduled 2 miles on Thursday and took the day off. Friday was already scheduled off. But on Friday morning I noticed that my right knee was bothering me some. Didn't make sense as I had not run for a day and a half by then. Most of the discomfort (it really doesn't hurt and it is not sore........ just different) is around the knee not in/on it. STRANGE. We also had one of the Running Shops in to fit shoes etc. I am getting new shoes now. I seem to have a pronation problem. Not a bad one but one that when corrected should help me some. The recomendation is New Balance 767. Zoom Zoom will like that as she is a huge fan of NB!! I tried a pair on and they felt great. I should have bought them on the spot!! But I tend to wait and think too much about buying then get mad at myself because I just should have bought them. I almost went back later to buy them. I hope this knee problem clears up soon. I went through something like this before and it did. Then I was sick and didn't run for 26 days, so I am thinking this is just part of getting back on track again. Can't run today as the roads are a mess That "myth" dumped snow then freezing rain and sleet on us over night. 3.8 inches here, and runining on back country roads (I live in the boonies) is not a smart idea in these conditions. A 3k lbs car sliding into me just might leave a mark and side line me. And not running (knee or no knee) is making me nuts This week is scheduled at 11 miles and I am already 2 miles behind!!!

My time was horrible!! 3 miles in 39:38! I ran my first 5k race almost 3 minutes faster!! Sad!!
                            Hey Gregg, Those Saturday runs are supposed to be *slow*. As in slower than race pace, ya know. Tongue Check out the McMillan Running Calculator if you haven't seen it. Plug in a recent race time and it tells you what your pace should be for your workouts . For a 36-something 5K it says your long runs should be in the 14-15 minute per mile range; easy runs 14-14:30; tempo runs 12:30 - 13:00. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ Slowing down might help that knee too. I had some knee issues when I was running in the wrong type of shoes.New pair and the pain was gone. Smile Hopefully those New Balance's will make a difference. Our Mini training group only ran 2 miles yeasterday, but I know what you mean about cold. Brrr! I'm still trying to come up with a workable training schedule for me. I'm helping coach the beginner's group so I'm doing my group runs with them twice a week. A lot less mileage than I've been doing. I'm not sold on the other new training programs they're using for the intermediate and advanced groups. I may go back to the Hal Higdon one that I used last fall. Teresa
                              Teresa, Our longest week is 30 miles 3 weeks befre the mini then 25 and 16 with 2 days off before the race. I attempted to copy the schedule I follow but it was catty wampus when it was posted. My current goal is to finish NLT 2:40

The longest run our beginner group has is 26 miles three weeks before the race. This year they are going to get two 13 mile runs in. Last year we just did one. Two weeks before the race we have 21 miles and the week of, 9 with a rest day on Monday and one on Friday. I've been kinda following the advanced group schedule and it gets up to 38 miles with a couple 13 mile runs and several 14's. One of the things I don't like about the plan is that includes *lots* of 2 mile days. Sundays and Mondays and Wednesdays are all 2 miles and then toward the end they go to 3. One rest day per week. I'd much rather run 4 miles on Monday and Cross-train on Sunday or something. Maybe that short for a recovery run or something. I have to get a babysitter for my runs. Two miles isn't hardly worth it. LOL! Smile I'm shooting for 2:00 this year. We'll see. Is it still sloppy up your way? Everything is melting here. Lots of slush. Luckily I get to run on the indoor track at the high school tonight since my son has wrestling practice. Smile Teresa