Half Marathon Trainers

September is here! (Read 30 times)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Took my RD yesterday because of work. 6-7 miles and weights tonight.

rocken, you have a busy week. Kudos!

ayola, nice run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

My last run done this morning of 5.25 miles with 4x100m strides.

3 miles this morning..will do probably 1-2 slow tomorrow to keep the juices flowing and then race Sunday.  I know I can do it, I have done them before.  So full of self doubt today and trying to ignore it.  I think part of it is running in my hometown and probably the smallest field I have run a half in before - 400 runners.  Going to be awesome! right?

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

3 miles this morning..will do probably 1-2 slow tomorrow to keep the juices flowing and then race Sunday.  I know I can do it, I have done them before.  So full of self doubt today and trying to ignore it.  I think part of it is running in my hometown and probably the smallest field I have run a half in before - 400 runners.  Going to be awesome! right?

I'm running in my smallest field in my next race. Just run your race and try not to worry about what the rest are doing. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. You'll be great! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Cyberic

I have not run many races before:

- Montreal Energizer Night Race 10k - about 2000 runners

- Montreal half marathon - about 12 000 runners (The hald and the full marathons were running at the same time)

- Montreal YMCA Spring race 10k - about 260 runners

My favorite was the smaller field. The one I didn't like was the night race. The paths were too narrow for so many runners.

I'm running the Montreal half, again, this year. Maybe I'll appreciate the famous "crowd support", but up until now, whether there was crowd support or not hasn't made  any difference to me. There was 0 crowd support in the small 10k, just the volunteers.

I say just do your thing and you'll be just fine Barbs.

You are going to do GREAT Barb!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

an amazing likeness

I think part of it is running in my hometown and probably the smallest field I have run a half in before - 400 runners.  Going to be awesome! right?

So many positives to this event. 400 is good size -- small enough to have none of the usual hassles of huge lines fro bibs and porta potties, or a crowded start area with runners packed in like sardines. But 400 is big enough that you'll have company on the course, yet each water stop will treat you like a hero. Hometown means you know the course, means you don't have leave hours in advance, you sleep comfortably in you own bed.  You've got early fall temps and clouds, perfect running weather. Should be a great day!

Run strong!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

So many positives to this event. 400 is good size -- small enough to have none of the usual hassles of huge lines fro bibs and porta potties, or a crowded start area with runners packed in like sardines. But 400 is big enough that you'll have company on the course, yet each water stop will treat you like a hero. Hometown means you know the course, means you don't have leave hours in advance, you sleep comfortably in you own bed.  You've got early fall temps and clouds, perfect running weather. Should be a great day!

Run strong!

What he said! Sending positive thoughts your way - have a great time, A

Recalculating...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Run strong!

MT, I love your posts like this. Perspective is always good! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Cyberic

Run strong!

You have a gift for good advice. I understand your life is pretty busy right now, but I still miss your comments and sound advice.

Cyberic

I've been training pretty hard for this upcoming half next Sunday. I thought I had been pretty smart with my running and training as last weekend I had no pain whatsoever after a pretty good summer of training in which I ran many 45 miles week, a few 50 miles week, and a peak 55 miles week. I managed to run 45 miles in 3 out of the four weeks I was away on vacation in Spain.

Then, on Tuesday, I was going to run a tempo run. I put on my half-marathon shoes for the run. As soon as I put them on, I felt a discomfort at the base (mound) of my right big toe. I've had pain there before on my runs. It usually passes as I run. Can't remember exactly when it started, but I never made a big deal out of it. Once, I even had to stop running for a minuute or two because of the pain. Why I wasn't worried about it, I don't know. So, I put on the shoes, and felt the stupid discomfort at the base of the big toe. I did my run anyways.

Well I've been hurting ever since. I'm feeling better now, but it just sucks that when all the stars seemed to be aligned to have a great worry free race, something happens.

Yesterday I saw the Wave Sayonaras (my target race shoes)  were on sale in a nearby store, so bought a new pair. I'll see later this week, but I might decide to run in heavier shoes.

I have a tendency to run in my shoes for a long time. I'm a bit of a cheapster. I simply refuse to retire my shoes after less than 500 miles. And I take pride in retiring them at close to 600 miles. So maybe I'm running after trouble...

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys!  Did 6 with hubby yesterday and 20 miles today.  All is well.

Hope Barbs' race went well!

Cyberic, good luck on the race next week!

Hello to all!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Thanks MT - you said all the right things, and I thoght I would conquer it, but it did not happen.  Humidity and some back pain di dme in the last 3 miles.  Oh well.  There is a report in the intrepid racers if you want to be bored.

2 recovery walk/run today..didn't feel like it but knew I needed to get out and do it!

Cyber I hope your toe feels better so you have a great race!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Cyberic

My toe (the problem was not the actual toe, but the mound of the toe, but it's simpler to say "my toe" ) is feeling good.

Today I compared the new Sayonaras to the old (in which I felt the discomfort) and there it is: I feel the pressure at the mound of my big toe in my old shoes whereas I feel great in my new shoes. So it's retirement time for the old ones. It sucks because they lasted way less than what I'm used to with my shoes (632 km vs 850-950 km usually), but I'm glad I retired them anyways. Getting hurt sucks.

I'll run in the new ones tomorrow to see if I can wear them at the race, and if  for some reason I decide I can't race in those shoes, I'll have to pick another pair.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks MT - you said all the right things, and I thoght I would conquer it, but it did not happen.  Humidity and some back pain di dme in the last 3 miles.  Oh well.  There is a report in the intrepid racers if you want to be bored.

2 recovery walk/run today..didn't feel like it but knew I needed to get out and do it!

Way to get out there today, Barb. Something we rarely think about in racing I think is that our training isn't just about getting through race day. It's also about making recovery that much easier. I'm a huge believer in a day after the race short.

Half Fanatic #9292.