Half Marathon Trainers

Welcome to 2013! January Thread! (Read 321 times)

I think it's more likely just muscle fatigue, it takes a while to build up endurance.

I don't think you can run low on glycogen from running 10 miles, or even 15 probably.

I will agree you get a mental boost from fueling, though.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Philliefan33

I didn't feel like I ran out of fuel at the end of the 10 miles, it really just felt like I was stretching to the limit of my muscle endurance.  It was a late-morning run and I had eaten breakfast so I probably had enough calories available.

For Saturday's run I carried about 10 ounces of  water and a graham cracker.  It was only 45º and I wasn't sweating much so I didn't feel like I needed the water for hydration but it did keep me comfortable with some sips to wet my mouth.  The graham cracker was an experiment.  I had never eaten anything during a run and wanted to see if "refueling" affected my run -- either in real results or mentally.  I ate half the graham cracker at about 5.5 miles.  I admit that it was a nice mental boost -- a little reward and it distracted me for a few minutes.  I'm not sure it had any real effect on my performance.  I did run slightly negative splits the last four miles, but part of that was due to terrain (there were some climbs in the first 5 miles) and part was due to me allowing myself to speed up a little to my cruising speed as I got closer to the end of the run.

I forgot to eat the other half of the graham cracker until my run was over -- I enjoyed it with some chocolate milk.

I liked the feeling of getting a snack - I'll probably take something along on my LR next weekend.  I'm going to stick to ~10 miles or 2 hours until it feels easier.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Phillie, are you taking any fuel? GU, Gatorade? You should start trying things on the training runs, it will help as you start getting tired in the latter miles.

Good point Mitch.  We need to start fueling too on the long runs too.  Do you just squeeze the gel out like toothpaste?  What about Jellybeans or some kind of proteins bar?

3 mile tempo run for us today.  Wimped out and ran inside.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Goofy tackled and finished.  HM was easy with lots of picture stops.  3:08 including the 10 stops of 3-5 minutes each for pics with characters.  Then, Sunday was the marathon.  I almost PRd, oops.

A great start to 2013.

SRD for me today, of course.

Mitch, good luck with the biopsy.  Keep us posted.

Phillie, I would echo  was Mitch said.  If it's the first time tackling these distances, maybe take a gel halfway through the workout.  Even me, that's used to these distances take gels on every long run.  Either that, or you went out too fast and got tired before you were done.  Good luck on your HM!

irishguy, how did the 15K go?

SimonR, nice runs.

Everybody else, hello!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

daneda

I didn't get a chance to do my long run in yesterday, so i got a nice 9 miles in this evening.  I enjoy running in the dark and the temperature was nice... About 50F.

Phillie - I know when I first started running longer distances it helped to start out the runs at a pace that seemed slower than it needed to be... (PS - Go Phils!!  Big grin)

Docket - Congrats on the runs over the weekend.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ran some intervals at 5k speed  and started running an incline on the treadmill at HM speed.   Too easy, I'll have to step it up.

hog4life

Yesterday ended up being an URD, had to take DW to the doctor. Don't think she has the flu, but he gave her a round of antibiotics. I did the week 4&6 of the Ryan Hall plan today on the TM, it ended at 9.5 miles total with;

2 miles @ 8:00

2 x 1 miles @ 7:41

2 x 800's @ 7:18

1- 400 @ 6:58

1 - 400 @ 6:38

1 - 400 @ 6:18

400 recoveries at 10:00.

I may run a few easy in the morning before heading off to my procedure. I'll try to check in tomorrow evening.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  sRD on Monday and today.  3 recovery miles last night.

Hope everybody is doing well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4.9 @ 9:40.  35F and windy.  Balaklava weather.

Snickers1230

I think we must be on the same week Smile  That's the run I attempted yesterday (at much slower paces though!).  but I could tell in that first mile at 10K pace that my legs weren't in it.  They were still tired from my 11 miles on Sunday.  So I ended up with 1 mile at 10K, recovery, 800m at 10K, and then the rest easy for a little over 3 miles.

Yesterday ended up being an URD, had to take DW to the doctor. Don't think she has the flu, but he gave her a round of antibiotics. I did the week 4&6 of the Ryan Hall plan today on the TM, it ended at 9.5 miles total with;

2 miles @ 8:00

2 x 1 miles @ 7:41

2 x 800's @ 7:18

1- 400 @ 6:58

1 - 400 @ 6:38

1 - 400 @ 6:18

400 recoveries at 10:00.

I may run a few easy in the morning before heading off to my procedure. I'll try to check in tomorrow evening.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Snickers1230

I'm doing the Hot Chocolate 15K in Dallas in February.  Hope you had a good time!

15K Hot Chocolate run for me in Long Branch today.

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Snickers1230

I got in 11.2 miles on Sunday for my long run.  I attempted an interval workout yesterday, but my legs were still tired from Sunday I guess so it turned into an easy run.  I was going to do another easy run today, but kinda hurt my foot.  A can of shaving cream (belonging to my husband) fell on my foot in the shower.  It fell just right, the edge of the can hitting me right on a vein.  I immediately got a knot on the top of my foot with a little swelling and bleeding.  It hurt just to put a shoe on.  So I decided not to run.  It's feeling much better now, just pretty bruised up.  I'm planning on a MLR tomorrow.  The plan now is to keep it easy, but if I'm feeling good I might turn it into a temp run.

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

an amazing likeness

Some new terms (to me) floating around and I'm being dense and can't figure them out.  URD? SRD?

Back to actual running for me in the last few days. Ended up with partial ruptures in 2 of the 3 hamstring muscles...leading to 26 days of (painful) walks, before actually logging a run last week. And, by run...it takes huge air quotes around the word, because it was just barely 3 miles on treadmill on negative incline. But...hey, it was a run from start to finish, so it goes into the log as a run. Been steadily improving since then, but each run is a push to the edge of sharp pain...then backing down pace and stride to get it back to just hurting with each step. Took a tumble on some snow and ice one day, and re-stressed the leg, and to top it off, tore up the rotator cuff in right shoulder. Ugggh.

Managed to build to 36mi logged last week, and have gotten back to being able to run 6 - 7mi most days, but slowly and gingerly. Plan to try something closer to 10mi this weekend if the body will allow.

Yielding to reality...decided to drop first planned race for the season, a 10miler coming up Feb 3rd -- hoping to get ready for Hyannis half later in Feb. We'll see...got a ways to go before trying to run a half at reasonable pace makes sense.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hog4life

Milk Truck, SRD= scheduled rest day, and URD= unplanned/unscheduled rest day.

Jackie, That was week 6 for me, I added the 400's at the end, very tough workout, I'm still a bit sore in the calves.

Today is a rest day for me trying just to recoupe a little from yesterday's lung biopsy. I should be able to run on Friday, but the runs will be easy. Jackie, that's what I like so much about the RH plan, it gives you the ability to swap days around when life gets in the way.

Hi everyone,

Damaris, the 15k went good, although I had to turn back at mile 6 for a minute or so, since it was a hot Chocolate run, or free run, there were 3 water \ gatorade stops , the last one at the 10k mark, and I got confused at to which way I had to go. Turned out I was right, but better ask than get lost LOL.. Great job on the Goofy, wow, incredible!!

Tuesday night 3.25 and last night 6 on the TM, planned for 3 tonight, have to see how much I time I have.