Half Marathon Trainers

Indy Mini - Kiss the bricks? (Read 1573 times)

an amazing likeness

Does anyone have experience running in the Indy Mini half that does some of its distance on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? Is it possible for a runner to stop and kiss the bricks and have someone snap a photo of it?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TRIing to beat the heat!

Does anyone have experience running in the Indy Mini half that does some of its distance on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? Is it possible for a runner to stop and kiss the bricks and have someone snap a photo of it?
      I have absolutely no experience with this event... but it sure sounds interesting! Again, I have no idea about kissing any bricks, but I don't see why you couldn't stop for a photo op... after all, it's your race. Big grin

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

dot520

I've run it 5 times. It's certainly possible to do so if you move out of the pathway of the runners. I see it at every race! Dot
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Now why exactly do you want to kiss the bricks? I haven't heard of this before.

Prince of Fatness

Probably a big car racing thing. Some are very fanatical over this. Everyone has their thing. MilkTruck, dude, I don't know if you run on the bricks but if you do who's going to stop you? You're not making out with the damn things, it's just a peck, right? How long could it take. I say go for it.

Not at it at all. 

IMKY13 finish!!

here is a picture of a runner from the 2008 Indy mini marathon (from the mini marathon web-site)... So yes...it's very doable!!! I'm looking forward to this race...I can't wait to run on the speedway!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

an amazing likeness

Thanks for the photo Paul, that seals the deal for me! I want that. Indy here I come. Teresa, as MrPhilNJ says, it is an auto racing thing. Back in the days when I was a young lad and the earth’s crust was still forming, there was no ESPN, no internet, and as a young car freak all you could hope for was a brief segment on Wide World of Sports Sunday afternoons showing something about automobile racing. At the time there was only one race that counted for any attention and it was the Indy 500. It was the only race held at the Indianapolis Speedway – one race each year on the track, making the track hallowed ground to those of us as kids who spent each Memorial Day listening to the Indy 500 on AM radio, creating pictures in our mind of what was happening. By tradition the winner of the race kisses the bricks that are the start / finish line. The Speedway isn’t quite as hallowed today, they have a couple events there each year now – but since no one is likely to hire me to drive their race car around it, the only way I’m going ever get to go around the track is by running this race. And if I'm running around the track, I am going to kiss the bricks.

IMKY13 finish!!

Indy here I come
                  Yea know...I hadn't thought about kissing the bricks either...I think that would be a great photo op. When I do Indy this year, I'm not going for a time goal really (as I'll have just done the Country Music half the week before...hopefully to a PR in that one), so I'll probably end up running real slow aroundy the Indy track, taking in all the glory. It'll be a great day and a fun race...I'm looking forward to it!!!
                  By tradition the winner of the race kisses the bricks that are the start / finish line
                  Let me also say that the entire track used to be bricks...thus the term brickyard. When they paved it, they just left the strip of bricks at the start/finish line

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

an amazing likeness

And....it turns out registration is closed for this year's Indy Mini. Dream killers. Sad My apologies for wasting everyone's time...nothing to see here...

IMKY13 finish!!

And....it turns out registration is closed for this year's Indy Mini. Dream killers. Sad My apologies for wasting everyone's time...nothing to see here...
                      I'm sorry to hear that Milk Truck...I'll be sure to give the bricks a kiss for you then Big grin

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

It sells out about Thanksgiving every year. But for some reason it lasted to 12/26 this time. But keep you eye out!!! Bibs become available as the training for this race progresses. Just last week a young lady where I work had to drop out.. I found a taker for her bib in a matter of hours. Last year with a week to go I dropped out. Bad back!!! I HATED dropping out!! Try eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=One+America+500+Mini&_sacat=See-All-Categories Current bids are $81 and $75 so you won't get it cheap. You MUST at least reach down and touch the Yard of Bricks. I don't know why but it jazzes you up for the rest of race!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

an amazing likeness

Thanks Bear. Is purchasing entries legit? Most races I'm familiar with do not allow transfers outside those sanctioned by the race organizers.

All on the up and up. check out the One America website for details

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

IMKY13 finish!!

are you still looking for a registration? My wife has injured her knee and won't be able to do it. I'll sell it to ya for face value.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

an amazing likeness

Paul_26.2, Apologies for the horrific delay in noticing your posting -- I just haven't been over in this user group for a while. Sorry! As much as I really want to do this race for the Speedway aspect, I've been struggling with injury over the last 3 months without much progress (back in Jan I was convinced I'd get better...not so much now), so I do not want to committ to the risk of a far-away out of town race only to wake up and find that I'm having one of the weeks where I can barely walk, much less run and have to waste a flight to Indianapolis and hotel reservation and the resulting $. Thank you very much for your kind offer of a registration transfer! Andy