Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training December 09 Happy Holidays! (Read 555 times)

Can you believe it's December already? 

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and that all of those that traveled have made it home safe and sound.

I felt something go in my knee over the weekend.  Had nothing to do with Running. I was at the dump and went to climb up on the back of my truck to unload and felt this sharp pain.  Didn't think too much about it, but it's been bothering me whenever my leg is bent backwards from the knee and bothering me at night.  Kind of a sharp pain with a burning sensation.  Hasn't bothered me walking or standing, but taking it easy for a few days.  Wore my knee brace all day yesterday and it feels a little better today, wearing the brace again today and if I get out of work at a decent time tonight, might give the treadmill a go and see how it feels. 

Would be a terrible way to end an otherwise pretty good year. Stayed almost injury free this year, with just a slight calf pull again in June that cost about 2 weeks of training.  Since my Therapists told me to massage my calves before and after running, I've had no major problems, although they have bothered me at times.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

IMKY13 finish!!

Larry, sorry to hear about your knee...I pray it's nothing serious...and you'll be back in form in no time.

I can not beleive it's December already either.  I've got 1305 miles in thus far (so have already last year's total mileage), and I've got a whole month to get my goal of 1400 for the year.

I hope everyone has a great last month of year...I am already looking forward to 2010!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Sorry to hear about your knee Larry. Hope it heals fast.

got in 2.66 mi this morning at very low hr. A lot of walking as part of new 5x/wk training plan. Am planning 2x/wk 30-60 min very low hr, mostly walking, 2x/wk 60 min continuous low hr runs, and a long run/walk (or continuous run if I can) that will increase from 60 min to 180 min gradually overtime. As a slow runner I want to be sure bod remembers what it's like to stay on my feet for 2:30-3:00 hrs. Am hoping to achieve 2:45 or better at the Cowtown Half on 2/27/10.

Also started toying with barefoot running. took shoes off and slow jogged in socks around the block for .3mi. Was surprised at how good it felt. No aches from it but it probably wasn't far enough to do anything yet. I'm hoping it will help me improve gait and provide lighter mid foot running.

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

3.3 mi this am. No barefoot running attempts. Realized that I have to be careful what I put in my RA log because it publishes to fb and my wife reads my fb. Well she was angry that I tried the bf running.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Woke up to snow this morning... in North Texas! Climbed back into bed and saved the 6 mile run until 11am when it had warmed up to 37F!

11 days out from my last race of the year... Whiterock half.

Feeling good right now but, just like my 20k a few months back, I have a hectic travel schedule leading up to the race. Up to Canada on Saturday, Down to Orlando on Sunday and back to Dallas on Wednesday. Hoping to squeeze the runs in on the road.

How's the knee today Larry?

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Teresadfp

One day at a time

3.3 mi this am. No barefoot running attempts. Realized that I have to be careful what I put in my RA log because it publishes to fb and my wife reads my fb. Well she was angry that I tried the bf running.

LOL, bobev!  That's too funny.

Matt, no fair for you to get snow before we've had more than half an inch in Maine!!  Wow, global weather really is screwy!

Larry, did you get to try the treadmill?

Nobby had me do a hill workout today.  Kind of a slow, bounding stride up the hill, repeated 4 times.  It was actually kind of fun!  Nice to attack a hill with a purpose, instead of just trying to survive it.

Matt, Good Luck @ the Whiterock half, it sucks that you have to travel right now and that's a lot of mileage.  Wow, snow and 37 degrees in Texas, it's been warmer than that here in CT except for a day or two.  Tonight, we are expecting a new high "Low" temp to be set and a new High Temp to be set tomorrow, probably going to be in the 60s and I have to work. 

Tereas and all, ran 5 miles on the treadmill last night, absolutely no pain, no problems.  Then today, I was sitting or something and just twisted a little bit and I had that sharp pain and then that burning sensation.  I forgot my knee brace this morning so that didn't help much.  So whatever it is, doesn't bother me when I walk or run, so I'm going to keep up my winter light training schedule and will see what happens. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

teresa - I did some poking at the ra fb interface and it takes three clicks to see the lap comments - dw will never click that far so I can record bf running there...

I did 4 mi walk/run - more walking than running, very low hr training. Am trying to increase mileage w/o injury that way. Did get .5 mi bf on ice cold ground. Interesting how it felt. Feet numbed up, I think because of being damp from running in shoes and socks. Will have to bf in warmer weather.

disappointingly - no snow in north tx this morning! It went south of us.

got 6.5 in this morning running with a group for the first time. They ran 5 walked 1 and I ran to the water stop they had setup with them (ginger bread cookies, Silk egg nog, spiked egg nog, gatorade, water all on tables in a park- what setup!). I turned around there since I didn't want to run over 1 1/2 hrs. And I made my goal. 1:31! ahr=101, mhr=110, overall pace 14:04 (did bunch of walking from water stop to eat the gingerbread man, and drink some g2 gatorade!)

bob e v

Hi all!

I have been so busy at work, and with shopping for gifts etc. that I have not posted in about a week.

Nor have I done much running, keep telling myself to get out there but then we have visitors or dinners on the table and I don't like running after a meal....

Anyway, glad your knee problem is less serious than it seemed, Larry.

Matt, you are well prepared for Canadian weather, no snow here yet, though we have had temps below freezing.

Bobev, I know very little about training by heart rate but those numbers sound very low to me, is that your intention?

Teresa, good to hear the hills were "fun", my son likes them too. Not a term I would use.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Simon - Its low for normal people which I am not one being post heart attack and on beta blockers and almost every other type of bp and other meds. My resting hr can get into the 40's and I've had stress tests indicating max hr of 137-140 with current medication regimen.If meds change I'll have to re-adjust hr ranges based on feel.

That said, I'm currently using Dr. Phil Maffetone's low heart rate training approach for most easy runs. Basically, he defines max aerobic heart function (maf) as 180-age +/- some factors, which for me on heart meds is ~-10. So my maf not to exceed target is 180-63-10=107 which is about ~75% of max. I've chosen to do most training at maf-10=97 in hopes it will allow me to extend running time to 7hrs/wk. Am adding very low hr days (hr=87) where I mostly walk. Maffetone suggest running "maf" tests where after warming up one runs continuously for 3-6 mi while holding hr @maf. Objective being to see how pace slows with fixed hr. Smaller the drop the higher ones aerobic function.

Which leads me to today's run - an aborted maf test. I think I was to tired after yesterday's long run and getting home late last night. Did get in 3.36mi in 55 min, with a long walk home. ahr=87, mhr=~105 (had a gps glitch saying 176...)

bob e v

I have read quite a lot about low heart rate training, particularly an explanation by someone named Hadd, which I found very convincing.

I find it hard to do myself, very boring, and I also don't understand why it seems advocates of this method seem to feel you cannot mix in some faster running.

Anyway, I continue to do a;lmost nothing- though I have had some snow to shovel!

Son is visiting his cousins in Florida, cruising up the Inter coastal to bring their boat back from Miami to the Daytona area. Lucky guy, its 18 degrees F here today!

Best to all! Simon.

Beginner all over again

...... low heart rate training...............and I also don't understand why it seems advocates of this method seem to feel you cannot mix in some faster running..

I find I improve best if I go to higher pace/distance that raises to higher HR....and then hover there until the HR comes down, and mix in some HR<145 runs.

It might be because I am still very out of shape and still a Beginner Walker/Jogger though. I had zero fitness starting out so my results may be different.

I did 9 miles on Monday then took four days off....(weather/family/darkness) but I'll go out for another next 4  "one-hour"runs before attempting a 10 miler

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I find it hard to do myself, very boring, and I also don't understand why it seems advocates of this method seem to feel you cannot mix in some faster running.

SimonR: I'm not an expert but the idea behind lhr training is to avoid stress & injury while building a strong aerobic based. Stress and injury, the theory goes, is caused by over doing anaerobic training so avoid it while building aerobic base and wait until closer to race day to introduce anaerobic training.

To paraphrase what FrecesRes said in another topic in this forum, we're all kinda feeling out way through this stuff. I listen to various news and information podcasts and find that lhr training hasn't been boring me and its allowing me to run more frequently than I did before probably because there is no lactic acid build up or recovery time needed.

I just finished three days with a maf test on Thur, very low hr walk.jog yesterday, and maf-10 long run this morning. After warming up I held hr=97 for 5mi of continuous jogging, on a sometimes hilly route, with pace being very steady. No way I could have done that last year before months of Gallowalking and now continuous lhr jogging. Seems to be working for me. Time will tell. I'll introduce more hill work and speed work aas 2/27/10 race day gets closer.

bob e v

Bobev, you had asked (and got a lot of responses) elsewhere about 3 hour runs.

Quite definitely not needed in my opinion- maybe once before your half to have confidence in your ability to keep moving for that long, but not needed any more now you have proven that.

I think the law of diminishing marginal returns is in play here, little more to be gained from 3 hours than 2 hours, or even 90 minutes.

For general fitness, strengthening of the cardio-vascular system etc. I think 4-5 times a week of moderate activity for 30-40 minutes would be excellent. to improve your running ability I would do one longer run per week around 90 minutes and one of the short ones reduce the amount of walking so the average pace is higher.

Be patient!!  These things take time, certainly more than a year.

Simon.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Simon, actually I replied to the 3hr run question. There was some discussion on the lhr forum as well about whether one would benefit from more than a 2hr run, even if expecting to run a 4hr marathon. After reading both I think it gets my favorite answer - it depends! It shouldn't be ruled out, but it should not be attempted regularly and without thinking it through before hand. In my case, with the potential knee and back issues, it worked to give me the confidence that I knew I could complete the half, no matter how slow I jogged or walked. As it happened my longest run was 12+ mi in 3:15 and I finished both halves within 40 sec of each other on either side of 3:00.

I'm easing into a new training plan that I hope will help me get more hours/wk in without resulting in injury, as happened last spring after the 10k. So far I like the lhr approach and am experimenting with very low hr just to get out there. Will add anerobic training about 3-4 weeks before the pb goal half, as suggested by Dr. Maffetone. But the objective is to re-build a solid aerobic base before then.

thanks for the comments - its all food for thought for this old noggin of mine!

MTA - I ran 3.5 mi at very low hr yesterday, for 55 min, and got 4.5 in this morning in 71 min. Cold and windy this morning. Supposed to be cold in North TX again tomorrow morning.

bob e v