Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - November 2011 (Read 825 times)

November did not start well for me this morning.... I slept in and missed my run for the fist time in months... personally I blame Philip Rivers. I'll have to run tonight.

It's getting cold for us northern Hemi's and summer is coming round for you Southern Hemi's - last real month of racing for many....

Keep the spirits up and the miles ticking over.

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

November will be continuing the road to getting fully healed. I'm on the right track, and will slowly build the miles.

Eye towards early april half...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      HappyFeat

Replying to Matt's: "Great experience! Will you do more.. I am going to have to find one of these to try next year!

I would like to do more trail running/races. It was sooooo much fun. The changing terrain and hills and twists and turns made it very interesting and challenging. I focused on running carefully so as not to twist my ankle or anything, and didn't run flat-out since I had no idea what was up ahead. Perhaps with more experience and more training, I would take more risks. It certainly had a different "feel" than a road race. Try it!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

The changing terrain and hills and twists and turns made it very interesting and challenging. I focused on running carefully so as not to twist my ankle or anything,

HappyFeat - did you wear different (trail?) shoes?

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

HappyFeat

No special trail shoes. I wore my regular running shoes (Brooks Addiction) with short gaiters over them that I wear for hiking. The gaiters kept debris from getting inside my shoes and kept my feet dry for the most part.

Went on a group run tonight, 10 kms with a group from my local Running Room.

Some of them are in my age group, 60 plus, and still running 3:45 in the marathon, so this is encouraging.

A few are planning to run Berlin next year, having done several other major races, Chicago, London, Boston and so on.

Nice bunch of people.

Bubbles, you and I are both targeting spring races, perhaps we can encourage each other and progress together- has anyone else got plans for April or May.  (I should not say spring, as it isn`t spring for all of us.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon-I'm with you. I plan on running the orange county HM in early May. I've run it three times and like it a lot. I've moved, but I will probably still head down for it. It will hopefully be my 2nd HM next year.

My October was rough, running wise. Too many life things in the way. I do seem to have maintained some of my fitness, though. I haven't run far in a while, but my speed seems to be there. Which is good, because I'll be racing my brother on Thanksgiving (friendly competition).

I am all for encouraging and progressing.

After this - what seemed like - terribly long injury layoff, I am more excited than ever about running. Today's run was awesome, even if it was just a little longer than 4 miles - perfect fall weather, through trails, dirt roads and roads, quiet and by myself, and most importantly, pain free. Very happy.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My October was rough, running wise. Too many life things in the way. I do seem to have maintained some of my fitness, though. I haven't run far in a while, but my speed seems to be there. Which is good, because I'll be racing my brother on Thanksgiving (friendly competition).

I hear you on this. My October started with a new PR on October 01 followed by two weeks of hacking cough/bad cold. We got the treadmill which is definitely not my favourite run, but my last two runs outside have been fantastic! I find the treadmill fairly boring and I'm slower on the TM, but I'm sure seeing a difference outside. Interesting to see if that trend continues over time. The TM is flexibility anyway.

Today's run, it was 1*C with a 13kph wind (or 33*F with an 8mph wind if you prefer) and fully overcast. I went out for 3 or 3.5 miles and did a really nice 5.5 miles. We're supposed to get 2-4cm of snow tonight (first snow of the year) and the air sure feels like it's coming. Smile

H2, I love those kind of runs! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Yaay H2B - glad you had such a great run!

10 miles for me today, rolling hills route, 35 degrees and sunny, kicking through bright yellow leaves of every size - some maple leaves appeared to be around 18" across!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

- some maple leaves appeared to be around 18" across!

Very cool!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Seems like everyone is enjoying this time of year- me too!

Went out with my son for a 90 minute `run` today on Hamilton mountain. About 45 minutes of actually running through a beautiful forest, the rest was more like scrambling up steep trails using rocks and tree roots as handholds, jumping from boulder to boulder following a sparkling stream to a beautiful waterfall, and then across a golf course back to his apartment.

Peter, your log looks like mine, monthly mileage all over the place! You certainly have some speed, though, I am more slow and steady.  We will all have to encourage each other over the coming months so we train consistently!

Peter, your log looks like mine, monthly mileage all over the place! You certainly have some speed, though, I am more slow and steady.  We will all have to encourage each other over the coming months so we train consistently!

Yes, my mileage is all over the place this year, but, to view the glass as half full, my big picture consistency is very good (for me). I haven't had an extended period off in over a year. Yours looks similar too-big picture isn't so bad.

I'm all for offering and receiving encouragement, but my problem is that I don't log in here when I need it most!

My goal: run 170 miles in 8 weeks to hit 1000 miles for the year. I'll need that to do well in my February HM. What's yours?

I am hoping to get fit enough to run a 10k on April 22nd., and a marathon on May 6th.

To reach my goal times I feel I need to run at least 1,200kms or 750 miles between now and the end of April.

The problem, of course, is the winter months......my mileage always falls off in Jan. and Feb. so I will have to push hard the rest of the year and

maintain over winter.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Did 2 hours of trails which killed by quads on sunday so was reduced to entering the walking section at my 5km series yesterday. Not all bad news though I won the walkers section Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)