Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - May (Read 634 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Here we are at the start of a new month! Hopefully no one else is watching snow fall and melt as it hits the ground this morning.

I'm running a 10K at the end of the month. My last two weeks of running were some of the most consistent in a couple of months and I'm hoping to carry that through this month. I'm feeling good.

I hope you are all doing well in your training!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Actually, Meg, it was 80F here on Wednesday but on Thursday it snowed.  It is just that time of year......ya never know!!

My training is going strong too........just registered for my next goal race coming up in 2 weeks.  It is a relatively flat HM that I targeted just to have some fun at a local race.  I don't expect anything from myself, but I have been training really strong and it would be cool to possibly push for a PR.  We shall see.  I have a 12 miler planned for tomorrow morning and the weather looks perfect.

I hope everyone else is doing well with their plans.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Mind if someone new chimes in?

I've been using this site for several months now but have been silent until last week when some directed me here.  I've started back running (after a year break) last August and in December decided to run the ING Ottawa Half Marathon on May 30.  I started increasing my running around Christmas and due to a really unseasonal winter I was right on track until I developed a knee issue on Feb 11.  I rested a little and about 10 days later developed achillis tendonitis (repeat issue).  I stopped running for 6 weeks and started running again on April 3 with exactly 8 weeks left to train for my half marathon (10k was full so I couldn't downgrade).

I have exactly 4 weeks left to train.  Today I ran my longest run to date (16.25 k) and I'm starting to get nervous.  Due to injury, I feel that I haven't trained enough.  I had a goal of a sub 2 half but that's not realistic now - today's training run was 1:49 big stretch to get to 21k in under 2hours!

Hope you don't mind a newbie joining.  Nice to meet you all!

2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Kathy, nice to see you! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Kathy, nice to see you! Smile

Ditto.  Welcome!!!

You should do fine in your race.  Looks like you did roughly 10 miles in 1:49.  With 4 weeks to go and some focus, I think you can do the 2:00, no problem.  If you aren't already doing it, work in either a weekly tempo run of 6 to 10K.......or a good hill workout of the same 6-10K.  If you can stretch your long run to 18 or 20 K for the next couple of weeks, it is a for-sure deal.

Good luck! and be sure to post a race report to tell us how you did!!!

Yep - Welcome Kathy! Nice to meet you too.

Hang on in there. Keep logging the miles and letting us know how you get on. If you don't quite hit sub2 then there's always the next one!

Like Meg, I have a 10k at the end of the month - in turn that's not really pushing me to make my long weekend runs as "long" as they should be. I've even skipped 3 of the last seven.... going to pay for that for sure somewhere down the road!

Sean - if you beat your PR again you are really going to heap the pressure on me!

It's lovely weather for running in the morning in N. Texas right now. ~ 50F and no wind.... so no excuses for me.

Well... maybe one... I did aggravate my Plantar Fasciitis playing hopscotch with the kids on the driveway in work shoes... but that's way too embarrassing to share in detail here.

Have fun out there y'all.

(Can't believe it's May already)

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Hi Kathy! I like the view of the ocean in the background of your photo- Nfld. is a pretty place.

My sister and her family live in N.S. (Dartmouth).

Be patient with your running, it takes a long time to develop the lung/heart/vascular system we rely on in long runs, and the muscle endurance to take advantage.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

under a rock

I have found myself training for another half marathon. My newest running buddy is doing one in June and since we run on Saturdays together and I'm doing the mileage anyway I may as well plan on doing the HM with her as well. As long as I come out of the 15k the weekend before in one piece I'll be doing my second HM June 5th.

If you aren't already doing it, work in either a weekly tempo run of 6 to 10K.......or a good hill workout of the same 6-10K.  If you can stretch your long run to 18 or 20 K for the next couple of weeks, it is a for-sure deal.

I was doing hill training, tempo run and interval training until I injured myself.  I've added back in some hilly runs...not hard as trying to find flat routes is difficult were I live!  Since I had exactly 8 weeks between my return to running and my HM I have been concentration on distance and endurance as opposed to speed. The course is relatively flat so I am hoping that's going to help as well!

I still have a knee issue although I have my doc consent to run.  After the 16 run the other day it was stiff so I am really trying to be cautious and am a little afraid of speed.  I went from 0 K for 6 weeks to 25-35 k a week.  While I was unable to run I was cycling over a 100k a week which did help maintain some of my cardiovascular endurance.  I find cycling allows me to recover (less stress on my knee) but still obtain some cardio so I've tried to maintain one ride a week - probably defeating the purpose with my running though!  Will drop it in the last couple of weeks of training.

I have three long runs left.  Plan was to drop it to 10 k this weekend and try to run a little faster and then 18k and a 20 k with my HM being the next weekend.  I wondering if I should switch them around and try 18 k this weekend, then 20 K then 10 K the weekend before the HM - any advice?

Patience is not my strong suit but your right there will be another HM!  I'll be satisfied if I am close to 2:10-2:15

Newfoundland is a very pretty place but offers some challenges in training.  There is always wind off that water which I suppose should give me an advantage...I look at it as resistance training - running headlong into 40k winds got to make you stronger!!!   But the disadvantage is I don't tolerate heat well - always used to the cool breeze - that is the one factor I am a little nervous about.  Ottawa can be hot on race weekend - I'm sure I ended up with heat stroke the last time I ran there!

Here's to logging lots more kilometers!!!

2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010
                    CORunner82

Hi everyone... hope you all don't mind if I join? I am getting ready to run my first half on Sunday - choppersean, looks like we'll be running the same race. Smile

Just a little background - I started running about 15 months ago and dropped 80 lbs in the meantime. I have done several 5ks and 10ks. I finished up my training with a great 10 mile run over the weekend and feeling pretty good going into the race on Sunday. I don't really have a time goal (ok, I'm lying, there's always a time goal!).... I just would like to finish! I have been following Hal Higdon's novice HM plan and found it pretty decent.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you all!

"To know you are one with what you are doing, to know that you are a complete athlete, begins with believing you are a runner."

CORunner82, welcome!  80lbs is amazing, so be sure to enjoy yourself on Sunday and all that you have accomplished.

I'll be running my 2nd 1/2 in 10 days.  It's the brooklyn 1/2 marathon and nyrr just changed the start time from 8AM to 7AM, with no explanation.  I have been decidedly underwhelmed by their "customer service".

The NYC marathon is obviously their big event and since from what I've seen all their races fill up, they don't feel a need to explain themselves.

In spite of that, I am really looking forward to it.  Seems the relatively cool for NYC in May weather may hold out until then which would be great.

COrunner82.......yep, sounds like we will both be running the Colorado/Colfax HM this weekend.  Good luck to you.  Nice job on the 80 lbs.  That is awesome!!!!  You'll do great this weekend.....don't worry.

My training has been good.....more miles per week than I thought, but I haven't worked in as many tempo/speed workouts as I would have liked.  I was hoping to do that and try for another PR.  However, my goal for this race was really just to run it for fun.  If I have a run that feels as strong as my 7 miles this morning then I may still have a chance.  My hill route has two monster hills and I felt like I was sprinting up them and still had something left over at the top.  I just need to get good rest and hydration the rest of the week and I will be good to go, I think.

Welcome to some of you new HM Trainers User Group members!!!  Good luck in your running endeavours.......

Hey, Matt..........pressure is on.   Had a difficult race today, but set another PR.  Unofficially (my watch) my time was 1:50:11.  I'll post my report in the RACE REPORTS area.

CORunner82, I hope your race was as good as mine.   It couldn't have been better weather today.  It was nice to actually see the sun come out!!!

I hope all is well with your running!!!

Mwaaaaaggghhh - Sub 1:50.... I'm not sure if I can go there. Not been consistent enough recently! Nice job though mate, very nice.

10k in a couple of weeks time for me... then a 5k and my next HM is in the middle of the Texas summer (Hottest Half) which is not really HM PR territory but we shall see... now that the gauntlet has been thrown down!

Here's hoping to actually meet my training plan and get out 5 times this week....

have fun out there y'all

2017 Goals
                              1) Run more than 231 miles
                              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm a bit sidelined again with a hacking cough I can not shake. The worst colds have gone around this winter and spring and for some reason, I got both of them. I'm quite frustrated and concerned my race at the end of the month is going to hurt.

Half Fanatic #9292.