Half Marathon Trainers

November, Already? (Read 32 times)

Zelanie

Mitch, that's an absolutely horrendous schedule.  I don't know how you do it.

Hiya, Simon!  Good to see you again!

hog4life

10.1 this morning at 9:37 pace, now time for bed.

Three miles or so at an easy pace yesterday, getting back into it gradually.

Saw Canada geese on the river, presumably discussing flight plans. I am sure they want to avoid busy hubs like Chicago and Atlanta when air traffic is likely to be heavy.

Or maybe they just wanted to avoid the smog over Toronto.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

redleaf

Strep throat.

ARGH!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Red, boo for being sick. I hope you get well and feel better soon.

After working off this morning from the night shift, took a 6 hour nap, then was hoping to run a 20 miler, but it didn't happen. I made my first loop of 7, took in some water and a GU, completed the next loop of 6 miles but started feeling really weak. I tried to eat a protein bar, another GU, and some water, but I just couldn't go on. I had a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee about an hour before I started, it just wasn't enough. I'm on days this week, so I should be able to pound out a few 10 milers and then try an 18 or so for next weekend. Then it will be taper time.

Oh, and surprisingly, my foot feels very good. It's still stiff first thing when I get up, but after walking and moving around, there is just very minor discomfort. I hope this trend continues into the marathon.

Question for the HMT's. Are any of you a Half Fanatic? Any perks worth paying the dues and joining?

redleaf

I have a 10k this weekend. It isn't a goal race or anything for me (more a chance to run with friends and a friend is the RD and it happens to be the day after my mom's big christmas party) so here's my plan:

I finally feel well enough to go for a run (yea antibiotics) so tonight after work, my husband is gonna pick up our toddler and I'll head out for a short 45 minutes (probably 4 x 10:1)

If it goes well, then I'll do the same on tomorrow morning - nice and easy and everything

Saturday morning will be 10 x 10:1 also some carbs (I've been trying very hard to not stress eat lately and sticking to my low-carb eating habits)

Then Sunday morning is the 10k race = and a good chance to test out running on tired legs for new years.

If all goes well, Monday = rest; Tuesday back on to the revised training plan (which is, at this point, "run") I have no high expectations for New Years. I know I can "do" it. I am pretty sure I am not gonna PR. But I would like to finish strong. Does that make sense?

HF #4362

Mitch you are really piling on the pressures, both work and running. Don't over stress yourself.

Redleaf, is it not a bit early for Christmas parties? Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Ran 8.6kms today at easy pace with a fast 250 meters at the end. As it was cold I wore more clothing (fleece pants instead of tights), which slows things down a bit I suppose. Also the sidewalks were snow packed. Pace very slow.

Happy American Thanksgiving!

Been a way for a couple of weeks...didn't feel I was as serious as all of you and then hurt my back.  Decided I need to get serious and start my half training for New Bedford in March.  Hoping you guys will keep me motivated as I know you are a wealth of information adn tips...Looking forward to getting the miles back up and trying to stay injury free.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Like you, Barb, I am also recovering from pulling a muscle in my lowetr back. You would tghink I would know better than to twist around while lifting something heavy, but apparently not!

My half is in May, but I am hoping to do a fast 10k in April, so will be not far behind you in terms of training.

Planning to do a run of 10k or more on tomorrow (Sunday) for the first time in ages...

redleaf

Mitch you are really piling on the pressures, both work and running. Don't over stress yourself.

Redleaf, is it not a bit early for Christmas parties? Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Ran 8.6kms today at easy pace with a fast 250 meters at the end. As it was cold I wore more clothing (fleece pants instead of tights), which slows things down a bit I suppose. Also the sidewalks were snow packed. Pace very slow.

Happy American Thanksgiving!

ha! We've actually called it "Mom's pre-christmas party" for as long as I can remember. Most of her friends consider it the "start" of the christmas season for them. I help with the baking Big grin

HF #4362

hog4life

16 mile LR done this morning. I bought some new inserts and need to do a little "test" run later this evening. I'll probably just do an easy recovery paced 2-4 miles. It's all taper and down hill after today. Dec 14 will be here before you know it.

hog4life

16 mile LR done this morning. I bought some new inserts and need to do a little "test" run later this evening. I'll probably just do an easy recovery paced 2-4 miles. It's all taper and down hill after today. Dec 14 will be here before you know it.

3.53 recovery miles done. Gives me a weekly PR of 51.7

Awesome job on the weekly PR Mitch!  I assume the new inserts worked well for you?

Just finished my first 100+ mile month and am looking forward to December.