Half Marathon Trainers

gulp! butterfies getting the better of me (Read 572 times)

thumbs up!

My first HM is on Sunday. I'm nervous, excited, scared.... I know it's only one race, and hopefully the first of many more in the future. But since it's my first, it feels quite monumental. (can't wait to get one of those 13.1 stickers for my car, and friend at the finish line...) I know most of you have tackled this already, so any advice for coping with nerves would be welcome.
    2010 Goals
    1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
    2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
    3. sub 30 min 5k
    4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
      Keep in mind that although it is important to you, ( and us!), the rest of the world has no idea whether 2 hours or 3 hours is a good run for the half- and they don't care! For my first half i thought I would be carried through the streets by a cheering crowd and get a letter from the prime Minister if I made my goal time- and that I would be publicly shamed on national television if I did not. Turns out its not such a big deal! Good luck with your race, and keep it in perspective- no pressure! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

This message is probably too late, so I'm sending good vibes your way... I was just about nuts before I ran my first HM last year, but once I started running I was thrilled with the whole experience and most importantly made friends on the course.

Reward yourself with a massage!

Good luck!

A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier!  How did it go??  We want a detailed report, including fashion statement. 

I LOVE my 13.1 bumper sticker.  I'm surprised how often people ask me about it! Since it's PINK, people figure out that it must be me and not my husband or son!

thumbs up!

Phew!

It's over. I was SO nervous the day before, and didn't sleep much that night.

had to wake up at 4:45 in order to get ready, and drive to the race.

Lots of people, long porta-potty lines. Made it through the line once, probably should have tried again... nerves.

My friend and I lined up right behind the 2:30 pacer (I'm a member of the "Back of the Packers" too). Talked to so many nice people, many first time HMer's too. But I have to say, there must have been a lot of collective nervousness because it smelled like one continuous fart.

Once we got going, things calmed down. We kept passing, and being passed by the same people... our little community, encouraging each other on.

We lost track of the pacer eventually, but felt like our pace was pretty good.

Around the halfway point I thought I really had it made. However, the full marathon shared part of our course, and it was a little confusing to determine whose mile markers I was seeing. I think I got a little over confident. At one point I thought... "how surprised my friend will be to see me come in so early, hardly even sweating".

Anyway, at around 11.5 my wheels fell off. I waved my friend on, and slowed way down. At about a mile out I had to go down a steep incline, so steep that my unsteady legs had to walk down. That led to a prolonged period of walking, then a bit a jogging. Probably about a 1/4 mile walking total. (I know, lots of people walk, and most were walking around me. But, I've never trained with a walk so I felt a little defeated)

Finally around a corner to a nice downhill to the finish. Managed to pull out a very nice little sprint.

Had my moment when someone handed my my finisher's medal. I wasn't carried through the streets by a cheering crowd either, but it sure felt fantastic.

Final chip time: 2:33. Exactly where I hoped to be for my first.

I'm very happy with my first HM experience, and am looking forward to more. (Already fantasizing about the full someday)

Thanks for your support, and letting me ramble on about this.

2010 Goals
            1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
            2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
            3. sub 30 min 5k
            4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Penny!!  That was almost exactly the same finishing time that I had last year!  Great job!  Are you going to sign up for another one right away? 

Beginner all over again

the rest of the world has no idea whether 2 hours or 3 hours is a good run for the half- and they don't care! .

This is so true!  And the longer your time is, the More Impressed they will be that you could "keeping running for that many  minutes"

Beginner all over again

Had my moment when someone handed my my finisher's medal......but it sure felt fantastic..............: 2:33. Exactly where I hoped to be for my first.

Excellent!  Congratulations!

Good training too -- right where you wanted to be

2:33 seems Fast to me!

Great effort!  Sounded Fun too!

Congratulations, Penny!

Sounds like a wonderful experience for your first half.

I liked your "had a moment" description-i know that feeling!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ringmaster

Congrats, Penny! Well done! Are you hooked?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Congratulations and good job Penny.  I've been away on vacation and just catching up. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"