Half Marathon Trainers

Introduction (Read 254 times)

Hi I am new to this forum. I have been posting on the diabetic forum. I used to run about 6 years ago but due to over training my knees caused me to quit entirely. I have run 4 marathons, 3 halfs, 12k and many 10ks. Last year I developed some very serious serious health issues mainly due to lack of exercise and overeating. Now I have dropped 110 lbs and started running (more like jogging) again on Aug 1 this year. It seems to be going well and yesterday reached my goal of 16.6km (10 miles) It's got me thinking about doing a half again. The closest one is next spring but I don't want to run it until I get to a more respectable speed. I am getting older and I know I probably will never run as fast as I could 6 years ago but my desire to race is coming back. I hope I can get some advise and encouragement from other runners with similar goals and perhaps offering some of my own based on my experience. Dave
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      Welcome back to the world of running, Forrest! Congrats on the weight loss and the 10 miles. I hope your knees are ok. I wouldn't worry about the speed right away, just build up a good base and then start taking on speed work after a couple of months of running. You may be surprised at how much speed you can pick up.
        Matt My instinct tells me you are right, I should concentrate on distance for a while but the runner in me wants to go faster. I did 3short fartleks tonight in my 5 km run. I thought my recovery in between was way too slow but turns out my overall average pace for the run is better. I think I will continue to add 10% to my weekly long run and do fartleks once a week on my shorter runs. So far my knees are holding up great. Dave
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?