Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Sept 27 & 28 (Read 12 times)

an amazing likeness

As we reach the last weekend of September, the meat of the fall running season has arrived. For the next 6 weeks the community and group pages of RunningAhead will be filled with race prep plans, taper madness and race reports. The big events, like the NY & Chicago marathons will dominate, while dozens (hundreds, really) of regional events will draw runners to the streets.

I often wonder ‘why race’? For all but a select few, races are time trials against personal goals; they are less about finishing ahead of another runner and more tests of mental strength against the physical resistance of our body’s protests and discomforts.

Races have another dimension…beyond the times, distances, and paces…community. Most of us run many of our miles alone, and the resulting aches, pains, and successes of training are private. But when we’re standing nervously in the starting chute for a race, it becomes shared. Everyone’s miles are the same length, everyone made the effort to be here, now, ready to run - different journeys come together on that patch of road facing the balloon arch.

Our race calendar for this weekend highlights Cyberic99 half marathon with a bodacious goal of a 3+ minute course PB. Glancing at the course map, looks like a wicked interesting route – starts on a bridge over the St Lawrence, laps around a F1 race track on an island, takes another bridge back into downtown Montreal, through the old city, then up from the river to finish in one of the city’s major parks.

September 28, 2014

Cyberic99

Oasis Rock 'n' Roll Montreal Marathon and Half Marathon

Montreal, QC

Good luck to all our trainers and racers!  May you have comfortable opening miles, grace and speed.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Docket_Rocket

Good luck, Cy!!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Good luck Cyber.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Some great words about racing and community, MT! Smile

Go get it, Cy! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Zelanie

Go get em, Cy!

Good luck Cyber.

I always love reading your words of wisdom MT!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Cyberic

Hi all,

I put up the RR in the sticky Race Report thread. Maybe this was the place. I thank you all for your words of encouragement