Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - July 4th week (Read 281 times)

an amazing likeness

The calender has steadily marched onward into July and the racing and training continues!

************This week and weekend*******************

Jul 4th vegefrog  Firecracker Fast 5K  5K  Little Rock, AR  23:30

Jul 4th MilkTruck LL Bean 10K 10K Freeport, ME 47:20:00

Jul 8th HappyFeat Timber Town 10k 10K Port Gamble, WA

Good luck, fleet feet and following winds to all our trainers and racers - have fun!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Ran a 47:36 on my watch at the LL Bean 10K, so a little off planned pace. This is a tough course, very little is flat and finding any rythm is a challenge. As a nostalgia trip, here's a link to one of my first postings on RA -- a race report for the first time I ran this race.

Good runs by Vegefrog and Milktruck!

Hope to hear soon from Happyfeat.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Ran a 47:36 on my watch at the LL Bean 10K, so a little off planned pace. 

I could never hope to run that fast, MT. Well done!

MTA: For my trail race on Sunday, I don't have a time goal. My goals are to:

(a)  get there early enough for a 15-minute warmup jog

(b)  not go off course like last time

(c)  not fall or twist an ankle

(d)  have FUN!

Last Saturday I ran a strenuous 2.5 hour trail run (a little over 12 miles) and the Saturday before that I ran a 10-mile strenuous trail run; so I think I'm as prepared as I can be.  The trail HM is one month away and I almost feel ready for that. I think this 10K will help towards getting more comfortable with the trail race experience.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

MTA: For my trail race on Sunday, I don't have a time goal. My goals are to:

(a)  get there early enough for a 15-minute warmup jog

(b)  not go off course like last time

(c)  not fall or twist an ankle

(d)  have FUN!

Last Saturday I ran a strenuous 2.5 hour trail run (a little over 12 miles) and the Saturday before that I ran a 10-mile strenuous trail run; so I think I'm as prepared as I can be.  The trail HM is one month away and I almost feel ready for that. I think this 10K will help towards getting more comfortable with the trail race experience.

That's a great list of goals HappyF !  Trail runners impress the heck out of me. At the one trail race I've done, I was so impressed with the warmth and inclusion and just general overall sense of being in something together.  It is so much harder than a road race -- you have to navigate, you have constant changes in effort from the terrain changes.

HappyFeat

That's been my experience too, MT. When I missed a marker for a turn-off and headed up the wrong route last time, I had about 6 runners behind me calling out to reel me back on track - nice!  As far as this: "so much harder than a road race -- you have to navigate, you have constant changes in effort from the terrain changes." Truer words were never said! This is why it would be self-defeating for me to have a time goal. The last race, a 5K, felt like an obstacle course! and seemed a heck of a lot longer than 5K because of all the extra effort involved.  But Fun! I never had so much fun running!

HappyFeat

Had a memorable 10K trail race today...my 4th trail race so far...every one completely different from the other. This one was very twisty-turny and primarily up or down, with little in between. Most of the grade was about 20%, with some around 25 to 30%. I power hiked a fair bit and there were some bits of downhill where I had to step sideways and sometimes hang on to something like a tree to make it down safely. I didn't get much of a warmup due to a conflicting need to use the PortaPotty Roll eyes Then the start was delayed for a news update on sale of the land, which further "cooled" me back down. So, once we started running, my breathing naturally got out of hand pretty quickly and I had a sideache for about the middle third of the race. The downhills were the hardest for me to breathe  in a regular controlled fashion. About halfway through my legs were pretty tired and I opted to fall back and get my breathing under control and just run comfortably.

It took me an hour and 11 minutes. I was quite pleased that they had taken extra effort to mark the course this time.  I probably ran a third of it without anyone around me and had not trouble following the route...whew! I came in 45th out of 80 finishers.

So...not the finish time I would have liked; but no mishaps and gained valuable trail racing experience.

I also got a pair of Smartwool PhD running socks in the raffle.Big grin

vegefrog

Back from vacation! I ran a 23:34 in my 4th of July 5K, nice to see that I haven't lost too much speed. I have been seriously slacking though in the running department and this week it's back to business! Smile

Great races HappyFeat and MT!!

Alright! Good job, you and I are very close at that distance, I am going to have to take up the challenge!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.