Half Marathon Trainers

Let the countdown begin - when's your half? (Read 1155 times)

Woohoo. My first half marathon (well in over 15 years anyway) under my belt! I put a report of sorts here.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

congrats, great job!
        My first "half" is on August 4th. It's not an officially half- it's a 12.5 mile run, but all on the beach, so I think it's pretty equivalent of a half. I am really looking forward to it! I live near the beach and am trying to do all of my long runs on the sand to get used to it, but it's kind of a pain trying to plan runs around low tide and avoid the middle of the day heat! My training plan is to stay around 20-25 miles/week plus crossing training, with the long runs increasing at this rate: Week of 6/10- 8 miles 6/18- 6 miles 6/25- 9 miles 7/2- 7 miles 7/9- 10 miles 7/15- 8 miles 7/22- 11 miles 7/29- RACE! How does that sound to all of you half veterans?
          That's great, Shaunna. Sounds like it will be fun!
          it's kind of a pain trying to plan runs around low tide and avoid the middle of the day heat!
          I'll bet that will be a challenge. Wondering if it doesn't make sense to run on the beach every other weekend to make it easier to plan.
          My training plan is to stay around 20-25 miles/week plus crossing training, with the long runs increasing at this rate: Week of 6/10- 8 miles 6/18- 6 miles 6/25- 9 miles 7/2- 7 miles 7/9- 10 miles 7/15- 8 miles 7/22- 11 miles 7/29- RACE! How does that sound to all of you half veterans?
          This looks fine to me. I'd make two comments though. A lot of the half/full plans I've seen increase the long run for 2-3-4 weeks and then back off for a week as recovery rather than the high/low pattern you have. The other comment I'd make is that, for me, it REALLY helped boost my confidence to run the distance before the race. I did this 2 weeks before the half and backed off a bit the next weekend.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the input! I did do my long run today on the road, it was either that or run at 3 am (ummm, no thanks Wink). I tweaked the schedule a bit. The reason there are several increases then decreases is because of planned races/traveling. The new plan will get me up to 12. Our team hasn't decided if I'm doing the 12 or 12.5 mile distance yet, but that should have me ready for either. Week of 6/10- 9 miles 6/18- 6 miles on Thursday (sprint tri on Sunday) 6/25- 10 miles 7/2- 8 miles (traveling) 7/9- 12 miles 7/15- 8 miles on Thursday (sprint tri on Sunday) 7/22- 10 miles 7/29- RACE! Thanks again!
              You're welcome. I'm no expert, by any means, and totally understand changing things around for travel and races. I bastardized the last 3 or 4 weeks of a Higdon plan for my half for similar reasons. BTW - Nice job on your run today. Hope you don't mind me peeking and bragging - but congrats on your longest run ever!

thanks!! it actually wasn't all that hard with a nice easy pace- I was pleasantly surprised!

2008 Philly Trifecta

Before I could talk myself out of it, I registered for the 2007 Philadelphia Half-Marathon!!! The race is on 11/18 ( 95 days -13 weeks, 4 days) away...really looking forward to it! I've been running on/of for a while, and have always wanted to run a marathon...I ran the Rothman 8K 2yrs ago (which is held on the same day as the Philly Marathon). Last year they added a 1/2 marathon, which I was not ready for. This year on 11/6 I'll turn 39, and run the 1/2 on 11/18. I turn 40 on 11/6/09, and my goal is to run a few more 1/2's, then return nest year and run the full 26.2 distance at the age of 40! Shocked There's no turning back... So, I'm gradually building up mileage, look forward to every run, the weights coming off... Dave~

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                  2008 Philly Trifecta:
                  10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                  Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                  Philly Marathon-11/23
                  "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

Keep up with the training plan and you will do awesome, Dave!

2008 Philly Trifecta

Keep up with the training plan and you will do awesome, Dave!
                      Mike- Thanks as always for the encouragement! Big grin Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                      2008 Philly Trifecta:
                      10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                      Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                      Philly Marathon-11/23
                      "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

How's the training going, Dave? Looks like you are only a few weeks away from your first half!