Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - Mar 11 (Read 429 times)

Hi folks

Sorry I'm kicking of March so late - I find myself behind in miles as well as many other things at the start of this month.

National Half for me later this month... and I need more long runs.

I was meant to go out tonight for a few more miles but it was 40F, chucking it down with rain with 25MPH wind. - I bailed Blush

This week coming will be tough!

nzrun - great run in your recent half - thanks for sharing such a detailed report, and thanks too to all those who posted help and advice.

Keep on keeping on, all of you!

Check in here and let us all know how your March training is going...

or if you have upcoming races, let us know about them in the Upcoming Races - 2011 thread

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

i went out and just ran a half marathon disstance on saturday just because.

very slow but at least i proved i can still run that far and the weather was rubbish and it was hilly.... slowly winding up the milage though

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Nice work vino.  It'll be a good confidence builder I'm sure.

I've had a good start to march, almost 100km so far.  I'm racing 10k tomorrow so just did an easy 10k round the bays today.  Hoping to PR tomorrow as this is probably the weakest of my PRs - currently 42.50 - hoping for sub 42, although the weather is not looking very cooperative!

I'm not racing a half in March - although I may do one in very early April.  In fact the 10k is the only race I've got planned for March - I may need to do something about that!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Thanks Mandy

The earliest I will race is Taupo I think.  At the moment just building up slowly.  At the moment I just ensure I run every second sday.  In April i will build it up a bit more.  Back into the 22's for the 5km though not pushing it hard.  Still plenty of hiking weather remaining so don't want running in front of that in priorities till after Easter.

8.4km Round the Bays on Saturday.  Although puriten runners scoff at this massive crowded fun run, my kids and I really enjoy the atmosphere and wouldn't miss it for the world.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Monday- 30 minutes on the bike to nowhere.

Yesterday- 25 pushups, 8.2kms easy, another 25 pushups.

Today- who knows.

Vino, I have recently tried a couple of budget wines from Argento (in Argentina), a Pinot Grigio and  a Malbec- good value if you get them down there.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm just trying to get back into some sort of running routine because a ton of Arctic (-40*C days) weather this winter has tanked my running. I had a great run yesterday. I'm hoping to get back to some consistency and start 10k training next month for a June race. I've never done a proper training cycle for a 10K but I thought it would be worth a try. I'll race the 10K in June right before I start half training for my Sept race. I figure it'll help me to get my mileage base up.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Yesterday- 25 pushups, 8.2kms easy, another 25 pushups.

50 pushups in 1 day!!   And you call yourself a runner? Wink

Just finished my 5th day in a row - The missus is out of town this weekend and I have the kids all by myself so no running for me. Just happy that I managed to get my mileage in without injuring myself. With slipping last Sunday's long run to Monday this week ends up being my first ever 40+ mile week. Smile

Mandy - Great 10k - 1st - wow!

Keep going Simon!

Good to see you getting back Meg!

Vino - your post motivated me to get out for a Gramin Half (13.3 miles) on Monday! Thx. Looks like you had a nice 5k this week too?

Have a good weekend all.

2017 Goals

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Thanks Matt.  I am on the slow incline which is good. 5km felt good not fast but good

I ran my yearly "round the bays" fun run yesterday 8.4km. 39:07. Again felt good but 3 minutes slower than last year. I felt strong just think my cadence is down a bit.  It was quite hot but probably a fair reflection of where I am at.

Just gotta keep plugging at it and building a base. Ran 4x last week and hiked once so doing ok...managed to attend a wedding and all associated carry on as well.

I am carry a few minor aches and feet are a bit of a mess at the mo so I am just tryiong to balance being sensible with keeping fitness going in the right direction

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Craig-

nice work on recent races. Are you finding that you are racing your way into shape?

Looks like I'll be doing a bit of pace bunny work for a friend in the LA Marathon this weekend. Does anyone know how marathons feel about that? Do they remove people from the course? I'll most likely either do the last 10k (not including finish) or a half marathon somewhere in the middle. The problem with the half marathon idea is it will require me running near race pace for a long time. So, not another race for me, but will most likely be near race effort. 

Have been picking up the training a bit, NICE weather!

Starting to enjoy running again...

Good work the rest of you guys- Red I think a bit of race pace work is a good thing.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Have been picking up the training a bit, NICE weather!

Starting to enjoy running again...

Good work the rest of you guys- Red I think a bit of race pace work is a good thing.

Nice weather makes a difference, doesn't it!

Yesterday I went for a run with someone I hadn't run with before (one of my son's friends' Moms) and that worked out well so I think we'll run together again. If I can do one run a week not solo, that's probably good for my training. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Less than a week to the national half for me. I've had a couple of good weeks and, while I may be a few long runs short of PR shape, I have to admit that I will be disappointed if I don't crack 2:00 in this one. A couple of easy runs early this coming week and then one short one the day before the race. Very much looking forward to it. Smile

Glad to see that everyone else seems to be doing so well:

Peter - Did you pace your buddy in the LA Marathon in the end? Did you see the McRunner?

TWTIGER03 - How was the big apple?

Here's hoping the end of March puts a Spring in your step!

2017 Goals

Good luck next weekend-it seems like you've put in the training to break 2.

Me:

I did "pace" my friend, which really meant run with him and hang on for whatever pace he wanted, which, at times, was  too fast. It was a decent effort in bad conditions (yes, it does rain in LA!), but I'm not sure what to make of it. I did 9 miles at about 7 seconds per mile faster than my most recent HM, but my HR was 7 beats higher.

I did see the McRunner, on tv at least. This was a first for me-I watched the race early on TV then took a cab to the 14 mile mark so that I could see the leaders go by, which was great. Then I waited in the rain, which was not.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

grrr a whole week off last week for various reasons ran 5km tonight in 22:15 so finding some speed again. its cooling down again now - yay - running is becoming more enjoyable. A week to go this month and I have already clocked more than I did last month so slowly heading in the right direction :-) Bought myslef some new flash minimalist trail shoes too, got me a bargain so keen to try them out asap :-) All part of the game to get up to fitness again half marathon tba :-)

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: