Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Sept 28 & 29 (Read 10 times)

an amazing likeness

(apologies for not getting this posted yesterday as usual, I've been away for a few days and just didn't get to it)

Well...we've reached the last weekend of September. Heart of the fall road racing season.

Redleaf and Barbs595 are headed to the same half in Grand Haven MI, and Zelanie is testing her knee in a 10K. (have a told you how much I like the 10K as a half marathon training test...your half pace will generally be 10-15 sec slower than your pace at 5 miles in the 10K...yes, too many times, so I'll skip that)

Sep 28 redleaf Octoberfest Half 13.1 mi Spring Lake, MI
    Sep 28 Barbs595 Octoberfest Half 13.1 mi Spring Lake, MI
    Sep 29 Zelanie Corvallis Fall Festival 10K 10K Corvallis, OR

Good luck everyone!  Fleet feet, clear fall skies, and following winds.  Let us know how it goes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hog4life

Good luck ladies!

I will be doing a small 5k after working all night. No big goals, just want to try and put the hammer down to see where the after math of PF has left me. Maybe an AG place...

Zelanie

Good luck to Mitch, Barbs, and Redleaf!  Hope you have a great time at the wedding, too!

I just got back from this week's LR.  I cut it back to 10 miles, but kept the pace a little faster to avoid getting clompy, and it went really well, rain and all.  There's a weather advisory out for storms this weekend with very heavy rains, strong winds, and power outages.  So Sunday's race might be more of a "get out there and get it done regardless of conditions" than a PR attack.  Either way it will be an experience, right?  Wonder if they have back up power if the power to the clock goes out during the race?

MT, I don't think I've heard your 10K pace at mile 5 prediction before.  Are you saying that if I get to mile 5 and my average pace at that point is 8:24, that my half pace would be something like 8:34 to 8:39?

hog4life

Zel, most timing clocks have a back up power source. Our running club typically puts the main timing mats and clock on a small generator.

Oh Zel, I hope the weather holds off for you.  I've raced in the rain twice before and hated it.  My HM PR was in the pouring rain and I know I could have knocked 8 seconds more off my time and broken 1:40.  Don't know if I would run again in the rain again.  I know it's not good for my health, so probably not.

Redleaf and Barbs, hope you both had successful races today.  I didn't realize you were running the same race.  Hopefully you found a way to meet up and introduce yourselves.  Can't wait to read your race reports

After running 8M today, I am 1.8 miles from running 100 miles for the month and am excited.  However they are predicting rain here on Monday, so although I shouldn't be running consecutive days, I'm thinking about going out and running a couple of miles tomorrow to get it in.  I struggled a bit in todays run, breathing was troublesome.  Fought through it and got some good miles in, but was struggling slightly with no kick left in the tank at the last 5K mark.  So although the legs felt okay, I know I was struggling a bit for air and causing muscle fatique.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

hog4life

Quick check in, then I'll put a small race report up in the sticky thread, probably tomorrow. My time was okay at 24:03, but I have some disappointments I'll explain in the RR.

redleaf

Thanks. I'll do up a RR when we're home on Monday or tomorrow if there's time. In a nutshell, despite our group stopping at all but one of the porta potties and my calf seizing about a mile from the end, I got a 19 second PR Smile

LPH the half was part of today's festivities. our friends' wedding was also today. It was kinda planned that way. Barb and I met IRL for the first time in April this year but have known each other on here for a while.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Redleaf and I had an awesome time. We ran the half with the bride and 2 others and laughed and pushed Lisa the entire way to get that PR. We were not going to let it slip away. It was beautiful day and a great course. I loved the comraderie among us and fellow runners. We even encouraged another runner to finish and she was grateful. These things make me happy to be a runner. Yes I like to shoot for my own goals but Iowa really love to help and inspire others. Paying it forward.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189