Half Marathon Trainers

October thread (Read 344 times)

vegefrog

I don't get to wear tights much here in the south, but whenever it drops below 40 I make sure I have them on! They do make me feel faster for some reason, guess it's that super hero feeling Smile

Feeling better all over, except when I take deep breaths, LOL. Which is not good for the running I had planned to be doing this week. It's not a sharp pain, it's like a dull ache and when I breathe while running makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Hoping it goes away soon, as in, by Saturday morning Smile

Matt! We will be running our marathons the same weekend Smile Mine is on the 8th. The way my training has gone lately you are in about the same position as me, and I started my plan in September!! I think you will be fine as long as you don't push the speed too much on the long runs. Fingers crossed for no injuries along the way.

I need to lose weight too...if I can lose 10 lbs in 8 weeks my marathon sure will be a lot easier!!!

Ran 18 kms today, the last 10 at a good pace.

Tights AND gloves!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Unseasonal! 4.5 miles in shorts and a short sleeved tech shirt. Awesome!

(My running tights have been out  for 10 days already.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Thanks for asking, I'm glad to answer...but I have to warn that it's all somewhat melodramatic.

The source is a song by Lucinda Williams called Lake Charles.  In the song she is worrying about someone who is dying, and the words seem to be her hope that the dying friend had peace as death neared. At least that's my interpretation.

I've been worrying lately about my elderly father...and this is my hope for him. Also, when I was hit by the car and in and out of consciousness, there was someone (to this day I don't know who), helping hold me down and in a calming voice kept saying, 'stay down, you're hurt, help is coming, you can't move' . To me, it was an angel whispering in my ear...I don't want to forget that as the events of that time fade from bright details to pastel memories.

I know the song and your interpretation seems right to me. I can see why the line has significance for you.

We'll keep your dad in our thoughts and hope for the best for him.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

No tights here either.... but Simon and Meg good to hear that your not in them full time as it sounds like you are still enjoying some vaguely decent running whether before the cold truly sets in!

Matt! We will be running our marathons the same weekend Smile Mine is on the 8th. The way my training has gone lately you are in about the same position as me, and I started my plan in September!! I think you will be fine as long as you don't push the speed too much on the long runs. Fingers crossed for no injuries along the way.

Heidi (as you shall be known going forwards! Smile )! Looks like you are on for much success given your HM AG victories and the fact that you ran more miles in a week in Aug & Sept than I did in the entire month..... however, I have not fallen off a bike recently and so will try to cling on to your coat tails for the next 8 weeks in an attempt to complete the 26.2! Wink

Today was a 15 miler and I got round OK. Andy I know you said not to get too hung up on the numbers.... just run!... but this is why I love (and hate) my Garmin. I ran exactly the same route today as I did on September 24th last year. Same time of day. Same temp. Same Effort Level (Max & Ave HR) only difference being I was 1 min/mile slower this year. That's what the lack of a good base will get you! Anyway, we'll see how the recovery goes from this one and then tweak the training plan. Thanks for the pointers on that Kevin.

I rolled through 4000 lifetime miles last week, this week should bring 32 more, fortunately that's only an increase of 3 from last week.

Wherever you are running this week - hope you all have a good one.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

My son ran the Scotiabank Toronto marathon yesterday- in costume, some sort of stripey outfit that looked like Waldo. He got the bib from a friend on Monday so had six days to get ready, hence just did it as a fun run-4:51Tight lippedx.

Ed Whitlock who is somewhat famous as a breaker of age group records, ran 3:30:28, at the age of 81!

Fauja Singh, who is 101 years old "ran" the 5k in 43Tight lippedx, also a world record!

Amazing performances.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

101 years old and ran a 5K in 43 minutes?? HOLY COW! That is so amazing and inspiring Smile

Good for your son, that beats my marathon time, haha, and I was NOT in costume. It was fun though.

Getting back in the swing of things...feeling pretty good on the streets. Our weather is cooling off bit by bit, which is nice. Still in T-shirts and shorts though.

It seems these days every where I turn people are runners. I don't know if it's because I'm making more running friends, or more of my friends are turning into runners...LOL. A little bit of both I guess. Either way, it's a good thing. I have a whole plethora of long run buddies to choose from these days, and that keeps things interesting and fun!

It seems these days every where I turn people are runners. I don't know if it's because I'm making more running friends, or more of my friends are turning into runners...LOL. A little bit of both I guess. Either way, it's a good thing. I have a whole plethora of long run buddies to choose from these days, and that keeps things interesting and fun!

I'm jealous!

My October so far has been pretty good. I'm at almost 100 miles and we're just past halfway (my highest month ever is 146). I've had a lot of very hard workouts in there, as well.

My race plans are changing-I was going to do a test 5/10k next weekend, but it looks like I'll be out of the country for work (which I'm very excited about), so I'll race this weekend. I'm looking forward to running in a couple foreign cities!

vegefrog

Cool RR! Running in new places is so fun!

I went to the doctor yesterday for an X-ray to make sure nothing was messed up in there, still hurts pretty bad to run. I mean, not HURTS, but just uncomfortable. No matter what pace I do, I fail the talk test. It sucks...sort of like when you quit running and start up again and nothing is easy.

Anyway, nothing broken but he said it's a little swollen and I definitely have a bruised upper rib cage, down through my diaphragm. He is a runner too, and he told me that he would say stop running...but he knew I wouldn't listen. He just told me to take it easy and that if its not better in 4-6 weeks come back. UGH.

Annoying, but it could be worse. At least my running won't make it worse, just maybe slow the healing a little bit.

Hope the rest of you are enjoying the cooler Fall temps!

an amazing likeness

Today was a 15 miler and I got round OK. Andy I know you said not to get too hung up on the numbers.... just run!... but this is why I love (and hate) my Garmin. I ran exactly the same route today as I did on September 24th last year. Same time of day. Same temp. Same Effort Level (Max & Ave HR) only difference being I was 1 min/mile slower this year. That's what the lack of a good base will get you! Anyway, we'll see how the recovery goes from this one and then tweak the training plan. Thanks for the pointers on that Kevin.

Some unsolicited input Matt...were I in your shoes with your goal, I think I'd knock those planned 20 milers out of the plan and do a few more 15 - 16 milers with an absolute max time of 3 hours for any one run.  That recent tri and this run show you've got plenty of base fitness left, more mid-length stuff will build on that better than 2 20 milers.

But I hear you on being slower...I hear you brother. Earlier this year, my 'no muss, no fuss' run and race paces were all 30 - 40 sec/mi faster than the what I've been doing the last few months. Nagging aches and injuries and 5 extra pounds...uggh.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Cool RR! Running in new places is so fun!

I went to the doctor yesterday for an X-ray to make sure nothing was messed up in there, still hurts pretty bad to run. I mean, not HURTS, but just uncomfortable. No matter what pace I do, I fail the talk test. It sucks...sort of like when you quit running and start up again and nothing is easy.

Anyway, nothing broken but he said it's a little swollen and I definitely have a bruised upper rib cage, down through my diaphragm. He is a runner too, and he told me that he would say stop running...but he knew I wouldn't listen. He just told me to take it easy and that if its not better in 4-6 weeks come back. UGH.

Annoying, but it could be worse. At least my running won't make it worse, just maybe slow the healing a little bit.

Hope the rest of you are enjoying the cooler Fall temps!

Guess carting all those steins has made you a tough nugget...makes your double race weekend last week all the more impressive!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Booked! I will in fact be running in a few exciting places. I'll be in Munich for a bit (great running city) and then London, followed by a weekend in some TBD English locale for a weekend (Brighton probably, but am open to suggestions). Anyone have advice on places to run in London?

HappyFeat

Anyone have advice on places to run in London?

OMG! (I almost never use that, but it seems to fitSmile) You should totally contact the guys at MarathonTalk.com!! It's a UK podcast put on by two guys, one of whom I think lives in Brighton. I'm sure they would give you some ideas on where to run. They are super cool and answer their emails really quickly (speaking from experience). If you haven't heard of the podcast, you should check it out. I have never run a marathon, but love their show. It's entertaining, educational, informative, fun, and addicting.  It's on the web and on iTunes. That's my tip for the dayBig grin

HappyFeat

a song by Lucinda Williams called Lake Charles.

So I hold you responsible .... I located her Car Wheels on a Gravel Road cd and haven't stopped playing it for a week! I even had it playing while I did my yoga workout tonightSmile Not tired of it yet....

Anyone have advice on places to run in London?

Home town for me (well close enough)... but London is massive. Any idea where you are going to be Peter? I'll make a suggestion or two. Smile

2017 Goals
                                1) Run more than 231 miles
                                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring