Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - August (Read 605 times)

Welcome to August team!

Sorry I've not been posting so much - it has still been good reading all your news.

Things have been pretty busy for me on the non running front. On vacation in England right now but have been doing a load of work in the DC area and looks like there may be a new job and relocation from Texas to Virginia on the cards before the year is out!

All this means that the miles have really taken a hit. Struggled out the door yesterday for 6 miles which kept my 100+ mile month streak alive (but only by 1.5 miles). Right now it's just a case of hanging on through the busy period and hoping the miles don't drop off any further.

Hope you are all enjoying your summer.

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well, August means it's my last full month of training before my first half. Training is going mostly well. I had a poor run yesterday, but I'm trying to trust the training will have me ready. I'm hoping I'll get used to the higher humidity and I'll get back to feeling like I have some endurance.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The newbie

Can I jump in? I've been a longtime lurker on RA, but a rare poster. I've been running regularly for years, but only recently started racing and I'm finally training for my first half (Baltimore) in October. I've been following a modified version of Higdon's novice plan and things are going well! Raced an 8K yesterday and am otherwise just slowly but surely increasing my miles. Running actually has lost its luster lately, with the incredible heat and humidity in my area. More of my miles are coming from the treadmill, unfortunately, but I still try to get out for at least my long run.

As a beginner, I probably won't have too much to contribute to the conversation, I'm afraid ... just here to ask questions and absorb all of your experience and sage advice! So ... hi! Smile

Everyone is welcome- it helps keep the discussion going!

And since you have been running a while I am sure your opinions are of as much value as your questions....we often face similar problems and can benefit from ideas that have worked for others.

My own feeling is that hte half is the ideal distanceas it is the farthest Ican run at a reasonable speed and feel that it is a race as opposed to an endurance contest, which a marathon would be for me.

Terrible Sunday run for me, heavy legs, had to keep stopping for water and walk breaks- managed 5 miles and glad when it was over.

Matt, I don`t think you will lose any fitness if you can keep that up, just perhaps won`t be making as much progress as you would running more.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Larry, I know you are not running at the moment, but I hope still monitoring the discussion- how about an update, we would like to hear from you!

Simon.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

finished my first half on sunday in 1:38:16. a couple of days off and a 5km tonight.

now gotta decide whether to slip in a half on Oct 3rd before the one i have already signed up for on Oct 31st!?!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Training has been rough the last couple of months.  I have been keeping a decent base (for me) of about 20+ miles per week......but that is really only 3 or 4 days at like 6-8 miles per run.  I haven't been really motivated to add that extra day or two AND haven't been doing any tempo/speed workouts that I really need in order to really "race."  I have a half coming up on August 14, but had only planned this as one to "have fun" with and as a training run for my Hood to Coast adventure at the end of August.  On track, I guess, but feeling a little under motivated at this time............

Matt, my workload right now is crazy and have gone through two out of state relocations in the last 5 years........it is stressful and I can totally empathize with you.  Hang in there man and don't let it get in the way of your runs.

Welcome, rosinator.........nice to have you on the HM forum...

And vinodrinker............NICE JOB for your first half!!!!  WOW!!!......1:38:16 is BOOKIN'  I only wish I could get close to that kind of a time....

I hope everyone else is doing well.  

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Vino, nicely done! I can't even dream of that kind of time yet. LOL!

Rosinator, I think all of us are learning. Some of us just have more to learn; I'm running my first half next month so I know how you feel. Smile

Sean, I think we all cycle through period of higher and lower motivation. You've had a busy year too!

I just signed up for a 10K on October 02. It was a choice between a 10K and a half, but I'm not sure how my first half will go so I thought it was better to just go 10K on this for now.  It's about 3 weeks after my half. I  ran this 10K last year and it was the best race I've ever done (a race run by runners for runners  -  well organized and treated well).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Post race I feel a bit stale.  Im just having this weekend totally off running then I am going to do 2 weeks of more mixed training with hills and sprints/intervals over just clocking miles....then back into more base building after that.

I think I will do the Hamilton Half Marathon which is Oct 3rd so have 8 weeks to get back up for that one followed by 4 weeks to get back up for Auckland on Oct 31st.

Then im back onto 5km mode,  I refuse to run long races in summer, id rather go hiking.  I might look for some 10km stuff

Meg, we all have poor runs.  I have quickly learnt to "embrace" the poor run as all part of the training and I no longer get upset about them.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Yes, I'm still around and occasionally monitoring the discussions. 

I am back on my feet again and logged 88 miles in July and off to 25 already this month. 

Although the running is coming very tough right now and I'm just now starting to build up to 5 milers.  Not sure if it's just because of this heat and humidity that is making it so difficult.  Normally by now I'd be approaching peak conditioning, so running 5M in these conditions wouldn't be so bad, but trying to get in shape during these conditions is tough.  But reading the posts, it seems like a lot of the group is having difficulty dealing with it. 

So I'm feeling okay, the leg seems fine, but I make sure to stretch it well pre and post run and wrap it for every run. 

Kind of depressing that I had my best year ever last year with a 140:08 HM and 20:51 5K and now having difficulty running 4 miles and 5 is a push.  My wife thinks it's because I'm turning 57 in a few weeks and my body is wearing out.  So I have some incentive to prove her wrong.

No race plans for me at this moment. I'm not really training, but just putting in miles to get my legs back and some endurance back. 

I do have to admit, that some days, I have to almost force myself to run. 

Oh, I got a bonus at work a few months ago for all the hours I put in Jan-Mar to prepare for our Government Audit, so we took a vacation and with the left over, I bought myself a Garmin 305.  Still learning how to really use it, but love the fact that I can chose which Data fields I want to monitor and that it also stores the information until I delete it.  I haven't tried to download it to my RA Log yet, as my dial up service is likely to be slower than I can type.

Thanks for thinking of me and hello to all the rest of my group.

BTW Matt, Keep up the good work. 

Larry

Larry, I know you are not running at the moment, but I hope still monitoring the discussion- how about an update, we would like to hear from you!

Simon.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Good to hear from you, and quite encouraging news, Larry.

I am sure you are right to take the cautious approach, Simon.

HappyFeat

I'm in this group with the ongoing goal of developing a Long Run of at least HM length. I've been running long enough that I can say that used to be the case. Nothing stays the same though.... Currently dealing with a case of ischial bursitis which has me running only every other day. Still.... I'm seriously thinking of plunking down my $$ for a Fall HM. What do you think? I ran an 8-miler last weekend. Barring a bad relapse, I should be able to do 13 by the end of Sept.  I typically "run by feel" and don't do a lot of structured "training"; but maybe I should. I don't know. Feel free to look at my log and give me advice.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I have no idea what the effects of your bursitis might be, so not really able to offer much advice- better to speak to your doctor or physio about your schedule.

I find that if I have worked up to the distance gradually I am quite capable of doing 13 mile plus long runs 3 weeks out of 4, but like to cut back every fourth week. I am not fit enough now to do this as I ran very little this spring and early summer, but was doing this last fall, with a midweek 10 miler.

I think your log is not open to the public, so you may want to change this under `forum preferences`, that should get you more specific responses.

Simon.

HappyFeat

My log IS open for public viewing - "by members of groups I'm in" ...I don't understand why you cannot access it.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi Y'all

Welcome rosinator & HappyFeat. Come on the rest of you admit it, how many of you got confused, just for a minute between HappyFeet & HappyFeat? HappyFeat, I can see your log - keep logging those miles I did get to the stage where my long run was consistently 13 - 15 miles but have since slacked off a bunch. You'll get there.

Meg - we all have bad runs. Hope you have but it behind you. The miles are in the bag.

vinodrinker - Fast, great time, Wow! Like Sean says - a time most of us can only dream of - great to see!

Larry - great to hear from you. Keep on trucking mate you will get back! 57 is the new 21... I'm sure of it!

I'm running a HM tomorrow. The Hottest Half - As I sit here this morning at a similar time to that which I will be finishing tomorrow it 85F. I have not trained anywhere near enough for this race and the last two weeks have been a train wreck from a miles logged stand point. I'll probably run about 4 miles today to keep loose and go out tomorrow and try and enjoy the run a PR is not on the cards so I'm not going to push it.

On the non-running front. The move is on. We'll be leaving Texas in the next few months. It's going to get busy!

Happy trails this weekend everyone.

2017 Goals
                                1) Run more than 231 miles
                                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring