Half Marathon Trainers

November (Read 448 times)

vegefrog

Hi Lauren!

Welcome Smile I think we are all guilty of over training at some point in our running careers! It's good that you can recognize that and get smart about it.

Racing IS fun! Who am I kidding? I can't give advice about over training, seeing as how I'm about to try my best to get a PR this weekend in a 5K, which I'm supposed  to be in full blown taper mode for my marathon on the 8th! LOL!

Hey there (new & bigger) crew

It's late but but I wanted to check in with a few of you! Great to see so many folks at a similar stage, first or second HMs, should make for an interesting spring as improvements early on are often there for the taking with a bit of training dedication! Smile

Steph - I hear ya on the goals! I had 2:00 set as a stretch goal for a long time! Way to early and way too stretch when I first set it... but that didn't stop me! Smile If you can seriously get to 40mpw I am sure you'll nail it but I don't think you need to go that high (that's some serious miles!!) Heck my Marathon plan peaked out at 40mpw! Also, I am a big time subscriber to MT's 5,5,5 strategy.... I think the word he was looking for was "legendary" not "infamous"!

rainmakerrc - Sub 1:30, Wow. That's some speedy stuff! There are certainly folks in the group who can relate (Kevin ran a 1:24, I think, earlier this year). I am not one of them... but it's good to have you here

Philliefan - If you keep going the way you have you'll do way more than finish. Love the consistency of your build up in your log. Way to stick at it!

FlippyNoodle - Congratz on the result. My first HM was around 2:15 and I got under 2:00 (eventually) It can be done for sure! Will follow the training with interest! You've got this!

Mitch - You've got similar times to me but I have not had anywhere near the challenges you have had. Do you have a plan picked out for your sub 1:50 attempt. I think that's going to be one of my goals in early 2013. Would love to see what you have planned.

Lauren - Hi! Welcome! Smile

Vege - You're crazy. I'm going nutz too. I'm going to preface my question to you by admitting that I ran my "easy 6" tonight at about 1min/mile faster than I should have and hit the last mile split at 7:48 (which is faster than 5k PR pace for me) because tapering drives me bonkers as well but do you seriously think you should run that 5k all out??

I know there is no way I could convince you not to run it but (hear me out Smile !!)  you have put in an awesome training cycle for a shot at a sub 4:00 marathon, you've recovered from your leg twinges, your last 20 miler was awesome ....I mean damn girl even your "bathroom situations are all under control" Big grin. 5k's all out can be a pain (literally) and, as I am living vicariously though your training because mine is just average, it would be a bloody nightmare for you to injure yourself on a 5k with 1 week to go. So my question to you is... "for the love of Meb woman will you not please consider running easy this weekend??!" Wink

<preachy taper lecture>

Seriously 5k's are two a penny, I bet you could pick one up 2 weeks after your marathon and still smash your PR, but I get the feeling you are lined up for something special in your full. Don't get hurt for a 5k and regret it.

</preachy taper lecture>

Good running this week y'all.

Cheers

MTA: Spelling

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

vegefrog

I hear ya Matt!

I think I will just run the 5K on Saturday at a tempo type pace, like around a 24 or 25 min 5K. I'll be dressed up, as it is a holiday race, and just have fun with it.

AND...since I'm doing it, I took the 5 mile tempo I had on my plan for next week off. Changed it to just a nice easyyyyyyyyyyyy jog.

You are right. I'm feeling DAMN good about this marathon. I think I can, I think I can Smile

You bet your butt I'll be doing a 5K shortly after I get my legs back though and I'll be breaking through that 22 min barrier in 2013 Wink

I can't wait to hear how you do as well. Since mine is on Saturday and yours is Sunday,  hopefully I can inspire you with a tale of a pain free and wonderful 26.2 miles!! LOL!

OK vege you're 10 days out so what does the weather forecast say for your race?

The 10 day forecast here is 9 days of sunshine followed by a day of rain the day before the race.

2017 Goals

Matt- I know 40 mpw is a lot.  I’d be happy with running around 35 most weeks and some weeks at 40.  My goal is to try for 40 a week because not only am I running my goal race in March (the half) but I’m running my first trail race in the end of May, it will also be my first 25k.  I also really want to reach my goal.  We’ll see, if I can’t handle 40 mpw I’ll run whatever I can handle.  I agree, I think MT’s 5,5,5 strategy is legendary not infamous! I’m glad I’m not the only one who sets stretch goals though.

Phillie, I had no clue that this is going to be your first half marathon! I could have sworn you had already run one.   

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

vegefrog

Matt I'm showing partly cloudy with a high of 63, low of 47 on race day!

I was avoiding looking at it...haha.

Sometimes here in the lowcountry it can be in the 80s and HUMID as hell in December! We have had some nice cool days....but it is reaching up into the mid 70's for the next 5-6 days which had me scared. Thankfully looks like a cold front will come in just in time for the race!!

I'd prefer 40 @ the start warming up to about 55 by finish...but I'll take anything under 65!!!! Smile

I hope all the rain comes through BEFORE your race! What will your temps be like??

vegefrog

Steph, 35-40 is a nice # of miles for a weekly total. I enjoy that mileage and anything less now feels like I'm not doing enough!

I'm going to be doing my first trail race in June, so I'll be interested in your experience with your first! I'll be doing my first 50K! Yikes! First I have to get through 2 marathons, LOL, so I'm trying not to focus on that yet. Let me know if you find any good trail running tips while training. So far my ultra buddies have just told me to switch out one running day a week with walking 30-45 minutes on the treadmill at the highest incline it will reach.

Steph, 35-40 is a nice # of miles for a weekly total. I enjoy that mileage and anything less now feels like I'm not doing enough!

I'm going to be doing my first trail race in June, so I'll be interested in your experience with your first! I'll be doing my first 50K! Yikes! First I have to get through 2 marathons, LOL, so I'm trying not to focus on that yet. Let me know if you find any good trail running tips while training. So far my ultra buddies have just told me to switch out one running day a week with walking 30-45 minutes on the treadmill at the highest incline it will reach.

I think 35-40 miles per week will feel good.  WOW, you are doing 2 marathons between now and June and then a 50k in June?  I'm planning on doing my first 50k in May of 2014 with my first marathon being in October of 2013.  I'm waiting until May 2014 because the 50k will be on my 31st birthday weekend.  31.xx miles for my 31st birthday. 

The trail race won't be until the end of May but I'll let you know how it goes.  Currently I run on the road 4 days a week and on trails one day a week.  I'm doing one of my middle distance runs on the trails.  I'll work that run up to about 10 miles between now and March then after the half I'll  work that run up to 15 or 16 and make it my long run.  I do hills once a week already. I don't currently have a time goal for that race though.  I'm sure I'll be picking my cousin and her husband's brain soon though.  They both run a lot of trail races and ultras.  In face her husband just qualified for the Western States lottery.  I'll pass on whatever I learn. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

an amazing likeness

Steph -- I saw that you are planning on the New Bedford Half (on the actual St Patty's day in New Bedford...that's going to be something in the pubs afterwards)...and now a 25K trail race in late May.  Hope this isn't too stalkerish, but can I guess Pineland Farms?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Steph -- I saw that you are planning on the New Bedford Half (on the actual St Patty's day in New Bedford...that's going to be something in the pubs afterwards)...and now a 25K trail race in late May.  Hope this isn't too stalkerish, but can I guess Pineland Farms?

Yes, the New Bedford Half is on St. Patty's day this year.  Have you done that race before or are you a local?  The race starts and finishes in downtown New Bedford and there are several bars within walking distance.  I already know which bar I will be walking too, lol.  I have a few family members and many friends running it so it should be fun.  

It doesn't sound stalkerish.  Yes, the 25k in late May will be Pineland.  It's my birthday weekend and my cousin and her husband run it every year so I figures it would be perfect.   Have you run Pineland before?

Steph 

an amazing likeness

Yes, the 25k in late May will be Pineland.  It's my birthday weekend and my cousin and her husband run it every year so I figures it would be perfect.   Have you run Pineland before?

Yes, I ran the 25K a few years ago (2009)...haven't been back due to events & schedule conflcts. Planning to run it again some time. I live about 4 miles or so down the road from Pineland. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I hope all the rain comes through BEFORE your race! What will your temps be like??

In typical Texas fashion the rain is now all but gone from the forecast. Showing mostly cloudy, a morning low of 39 with a high for the day of 60. I will probably end up with 40 @ the start warming up to about 55 by finish! No Excuses Weather!

Got my number by email yesterday..... #2338....  it's getting real! Smile

2017 Goals

hog4life

Hey there (new & bigger) crew

It's late but but I wanted to check in with a few of you! Great to see so many folks at a similar stage, first or second HMs, should make for an interesting spring as improvements early on are often there for the taking with a bit of training dedication! Smile

Steph - I hear ya on the goals! I had 2:00 set as a stretch goal for a long time! Way to early and way too stretch when I first set it... but that didn't stop me! Smile If you can seriously get to 40mpw I am sure you'll nail it but I don't think you need to go that high (that's some serious miles!!) Heck my Marathon plan peaked out at 40mpw! Also, I am a big time subscriber to MT's 5,5,5 strategy.... I think the word he was looking for was "legendary" not "infamous"!

rainmakerrc - Sub 1:30, Wow. That's some speedy stuff! There are certainly folks in the group who can relate (Kevin ran a 1:24, I think, earlier this year). I am not one of them... but it's good to have you here

Philliefan - If you keep going the way you have you'll do way more than finish. Love the consistency of your build up in your log. Way to stick at it!

FlippyNoodle - Congratz on the result. My first HM was around 2:15 and I got under 2:00 (eventually) It can be done for sure! Will follow the training with interest! You've got this!

Mitch - You've got similar times to me but I have not had anywhere near the challenges you have had. Do you have a plan picked out for your sub 1:50 attempt. I think that's going to be one of my goals in early 2013. Would love to see what you have planned.

Lauren - Hi! Welcome! Smile

Vege - You're crazy. I'm going nutz too. I'm going to preface my question to you by admitting that I ran my "easy 6" tonight at about 1min/mile faster than I should have and hit the last mile split at 7:48 (which is faster than 5k PR pace for me) because tapering drives me bonkers as well but do you seriously think you should run that 5k all out??

I know there is no way I could convince you not to run it but (hear me out Smile !!)  you have put in an awesome training cycle for a shot at a sub 4:00 marathon, you've recovered from your leg twinges, your last 20 miler was awesome ....I mean damn girl even your "bathroom situations are all under control" Big grin. 5k's all out can be a pain (literally) and, as I am living vicariously though your training because mine is just average, it would be a bloody nightmare for you to injure yourself on a 5k with 1 week to go. So my question to you is... "for the love of Meb woman will you not please consider running easy this weekend??!" Wink

<preachy taper lecture>

Seriously 5k's are two a penny, I bet you could pick one up 2 weeks after your marathon and still smash your PR, but I get the feeling you are lined up for something special in your full. Don't get hurt for a 5k and regret it.

</preachy taper lecture>

Good running this week y'all.

Cheers

MTA: Spelling

Matt, I will be using the Ryan Hall Plan for both upcoming halves. On my 2:01:27 half, I used it too(short plan), but took most of the RD's completely off. I peaked at 34 miles, and during that cycle, I was having some minor issues with calf/shin/worn shoes/new shoes, which surfaced during the race. I have the shoes corrected, but the biggest thing I plan to do differently is, I'm going to attempt the Long Plan and run the 30-45 minutes on the so called RD's. On each of the last 2 halves, my base was 25-30 mpw with a lot of focus on the LR, and had been struggling with some injuries and a hernia surgery. I do more MLR's now and hope to get my base into the 35-40 mpw. The 2 days of speed work on his plan can be rough if you're not used to it. One other thing I'm looking at, is I used my 5k PR of 23:36 in McMillian to find my target pace, which I believe was 8:20. I feel it was too loufty last time, so will adjust it back down a little. I'm thinking an 8:47 pace is doable for 1:55:00, with the 1:50:00 being a stretch goal.

Thanks for the shout out.

vegefrog

I'm getting my packet tomorrow!!!!! I wonder what my number will be???? Smile

In typical Texas fashion the rain is now all but gone from the forecast. Showing mostly cloudy, a morning low of 39 with a high for the day of 60. I will probably end up with 40 @ the start warming up to about 55 by finish! No Excuses Weather!

Matt,

Between this post ('showing mostly cloudy, a morning low of 39...') combined with meeting and texting a couple of the other RPC / Belizian runners, I registered for the half today with only a couple hours to spare.

I'll see you at the starting line along with a few others that we know.

I hope you didn't lie to me about the weather!

Cheers,
                                Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life