Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - January 19 (Read 16 times)

redleaf

January 19:

MrRipper: Chevron Houston Marathon. MrRipper's first ever marathon began in 1972 with a five-loop course in Memorial Park. Less than 100 people finished. 6530 finished it last year.

Docket_Rocket has the Clearwater Marathon on Sunday as well. Looks to be in the mid-50s at the start and mid-60s by noon. To compare - in Toronto it will be 25, with a high of 32. But wow - getting a sunrise over Clearwater Bay sounds like a great way to start a race.

Good luck and fleet feet

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Zelanie

Good luck, runners!

Thanks for starting the thread, redleaf!

Have great races everyone!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Docket_Rocket

It was great weather but I fell sick the day one of my kitties died (Wednesday).  Since I woke up feeling blah, I ran the HM instead.  Nothing major to report but it was nice to run in the 40-50s rather than the 85F Miami has.  For the first time I was glad I only had 3 miles to go rather than 16.  I now have a fever, so a couple of rest days for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

an amazing likeness

I'm a week late...

In New England, there is a circuit of winter races which are "prep" races for the Boston Marathon in April. Most of these are in March or earlier...the progression is Derry (NH) 16 miler in Jan, Mid-Winter 10 miler (ME) in Feb, Martha's Vineyard (MA) and/or Eastern States (NH) 20-milers in March. Now there's a growing number of prep-for-the-prep races in January for these long-established prep races.

So headed down a to southern Maine for a 4 miler to test my hamstring under hard running before the Mid-Winter 10. Ran a 29:27 on a cold, snowy morning, and struggled a bit in the last 1/2 mi...not a good sign for running at PR at the 10-miler on 2 Feb.  But...more importantly, the Moose was there...so much pressure, must beat the Moose.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zelanie

The moose is awesome, milktruck!  Thanks for the picture!  Does the moose show up to multiple Maine races?  I think I've seen him in your posts before, yes?

an amazing likeness

Z - the moose is really impressive. He's actually a pretty big guy...I'd guess 6'0 and 190. Then you add the antlers and the moose body and it's impressive. I've only seen him at a few races -- twice at a 1/2 I've run that is a very rural run through country roads, I can't imagine what people driving along think when they see him. He always starts at the rear to stay out of everyone's way..then chugs his way through the field -- it must be something to get passed by the moose...I never want that to happen to me.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Wow, that must be a sight.  I don't think I would want to even try to run in that outfit.  Must be  fun on the course to see him.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Zelanie

Ooh, I just noticed that the Moose has a Facebook page, so I checked him out.  It looks like I'd be in serious danger of being passed by him if he came out to Oregon- and he has plans to race in every state!  I'd better get training!