Half Marathon Trainers

January: New Year, New Start (Read 29 times)

DollarBill

A fun and enjoyable 4.5 mile run in the freshly fallen, and still falling snow this morning.   Have an 8 miler on tap for tomorrow.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Yay for replaced tights!

7 miles for me today.  The trails are still icy mudpits and so I ran my hilly road route.   Starting to feel like it's coming back, slowly.

Monday starts official half training!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  12 miles this morning (5 last night) and they went great.  It's funny how the body feels so good when it's not 80-100F and humid?  Who knew!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

This week starts my official training plan(insert sarcastic laugh), for my April 4 half. I started today with a 10 miler with Bella and friends.

Quick internet break...Looks like everyone is doing well and the weather is (kinda) cooperating for January. Meg - I see your are the exception - we feel your pain!

This week: monday- 85 minute outside run (leftover from sunday), tuesday - weight training, wednesday- rest, thursday 4.5 miles treadmill, friday - spin class (Ouch!), saturday 92 minute outside run. Feeling better after a minor cold at the beginning of the week. Gave myself a nasty bruise on the forearm slipping on our stairs last night, luckily no leg injury.

Today and tomorrow I'm "resting" from running but getting some extra office work done over the weekend for a monday meeting.

Happy sunday folks!  A

Recalculating...

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 and a leg workout tonight.

Mitch, good luck on the HM.

ayola, good luck with the workouts.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DollarBill

Got the 8 miler in yesterday just 3 seconds slower than goal pace.  And wouldn't you know it, today is a SRD.

Starting tonight and most of tomorrow, my number one job will be removing snow from our driveway and walkway.  NE Blizzard is on its way.

Cyberic

Got the 8 miler in yesterday just 3 seconds slower than goal pace.  And wouldn't you know it, today is a SRD.

Starting tonight and most of tomorrow, my number one job will be removing snow from our driveway and walkway.  NE Blizzard is on its way.

I'm glad we (Montreal) aren't being hit by the storm

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Stay warm, DollarBill, and enjoy the unofficial cross-training!

5 miles today -- official start of training for my May 16th half.  I'm following the McMillan 4-5 days per week plan -- aiming for 5.  I wanted to do the Hansons plan but I think I have to admit that at this point in my running I'm not up for six days per week.

I'm trying to relax and work on running easier.  Any advice for figuring out one's actual max heart rate?  I received a monitor for Christmas and it's a fun toy (data data data!), but while I know my resting heart rate is ~55, I seem to be able to "have a conversation" at 165bpm, and today's run was around 170 for an average.  I was working (my route is hilly), but I didn't feel uncomfortable or out of breath.  Is it possible to have a higher ceiling?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ran 6 last night.  I have 5-6 tonight with heavy weights.

Stay warm those in the Northeast.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

hog4life

emmbee, yes to the higher ceiling. I got a HRM with my new watch and have used it some. I've seen mine at a high of 182, that was during the last few 400 repeats. From the 182, it only went down to around 173 during the 400 recoveries.

I ditched my 6x800 run yesterday for sleep, so will attempt the same workout today.

an amazing likeness

I'm glad we (Montreal) aren't being hit by the storm

No such luck here, and from the weather maps I'd wager Ayola is getting hit by a good blow in Halifax as well.  The view out the window...the fence is about 4' and there was only about 6 inches on the ground before the storm started, so it looks like we've got a about 2 feet so far:

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Snow!

Actually not too bad here, maybe 10-12 inches so far. No snow this morning when I drove to the gym at 5:30 this morning but it was blizzardy driving back home around 7:15. Extreme wind (Im glad the power is still on - Halifax has lots of loose lines). I'm all set up to work from home so I escaped the drive back downtown. The husband took the car to the office but he's from Labrador so I think he can manage.

Very pretty out now, not so windy. I may do the shoveling (again) and go for a walk, A

Glad you're still out there MT

embee - I agree with Mitch - 180 BPM may be more realistic-test it after your interval runs - or at the end of a 5K race. Although I've never seen mine above 170 (I'm 43 resting HR low 50s) What kind of monitor did you get? I'm thinking about the MIO - wrist monitor instead of chest strap.

Recalculating...

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Thanks, everyone.  Today's run I averaged 166 (which feels like it's closer to my "easy" rate) but peaked at 183, and it was just my usual easy run.  Certainly didn't feel like I was working at 99% of max or whatever!  Once I've built my base back up I'll be able to push it a bit on some hill repeats, and then maybe I'll have a better idea of how to use this thing.

I have a basic Garmin chest strap.  It seems to work pretty well.

hog4life

I was planning to wear my HRM tonight, but my watch was dead. I'll start wearing it and post some numbers, then we can compare. I did the 6x800's workout by feel, and ended with 6.5 miles. I have a 5 mile loop in my subdivision,  and have every 1/4 mile spray painted on the road.

Andy, nice picture. Hope you are doing well, been thinking and wondering about you.