Half Marathon Trainers

How do you get yourself out of a funk? (Read 39 times)

redleaf

Is it a post-goal-success what do I do now funk? or maybe just a getting old funk? or being stressed funk? I dunno but I'm in a funk so what do you do to get out of a funk?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

Redleaf.....sorry to hear about your state of funk, that's never good.

I think any approach to changing it is strongly individual, so all I can do is share my approach.

First is to accept that this is simply a tough time of year for running -- you're dealing with winter in Toronto and all that means...cold weather, ice and snow on the roads, short days and running in the dark. As a result you have to deal with dressing just right for the weather du jour, dodging traffic on icy roads and sidewalks and blah, blah -- it's just plain harder than running in the other seasons. It is a tough time for running, making each routine run a little victory and worthy of celebration.

Second for me is to fight to be routine and steady-eddy about getting runs in to avoid having to re-start after a few days off.  I run less miles in the deep of winter, but (unless sick) not less days.  There's something to be said for getting out there every day / most days and logging something. Be stubborn about  it.

Use runs as an escape -- in winter the hour or so a day spent running might be the only time I'm outside in the open air. I try to look forward to seeing what's "out there" as the seasons change.

And lastly, I use goals that are longer than the next race....like monthly mileage goals, annual mileage goals, annual # of runs, etc.  These stretch across events and don't let me off the hook.

You've had 3 major travel & run events in the past 4-5 weeks...so ease off if that's what you need -- but set an end date for your break.

Good luck getting some mojo back.!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

MT's advice sure sounds good.

I have not been running long so I've only had one funk, and it was just before the christmas holidays:

- Why do I keep doing this: I don't event like racing that much?

- My legs hurt more now that I run than they used to before I started running .

- It's freezing outside.

And then I caught the flu which kept me in bed for two days. Then I ran short easy runs every other day just to stay in running shape. Being on vacation from work and stuck in the house from being sick with very few short runs gave me lots of physical and mental rest. Then when 2014 came, I didn't give myself any running objectives for the year... and the taste for running came back by itself.

This is not advice, but maybe a little well deserved rest is all you need.

You have done a lot of racing and training this year Lisa - maybe just your body telling you to slow down a little.  Goodness knows you have earned it.

I think MT has good ideas as well.  When I would feel burnt after races, I would take a couple of days off and then go back slowly.  A mile or two at first, just to keep the legs going.  Even though I may hate it some days, when I can't do it I miss it.

You will get it back..

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Thanks all - it's not just a running funk but a life funk but you're all right - the running thing I can control and so I should Smile

Heading out the door tomorrow morning.

I also got an email from the Nike Women's Half Marathon (running it on April 27; oh the things we do for friends).  They'll have three plans for the half - just finish, improve on PR, smash PR. Might look at those and chose between the later two so I don't have to think about it.

I'll also try and think of more regular goals i.e. MT's idea of monthly kms. Except of course I've always been so inconsistent I wouldn't know a truly legit goal - something that's a stretch but doable without killing myself.

Thanks again.

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

Thanks all - it's not just a running funk but a life funk but you're all right - the running thing I can control and so I should Smile

I'll also try and think of more regular goals i.e. MT's idea of monthly kms. Except of course I've always been so inconsistent I wouldn't know a truly legit goal - something that's a stretch but doable without killing myself.

Thanks again.

How about a 'forget about the KMs" goal and set an "activity" goal -- like number of days running in a month?  Let the KMs take care of themselves....go for the consistency.

Personally, I try to use running (and you've all heard me say it a lot...I don't like running...but I like the outcome from running) to help overcome the life funk situation.  I mean, how many PRs did you run last year....?  A ton.  How many special events did you do running last year...?  A bunch.  Could feeding and continuing that success lift some of da' funk?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

I'll start with that I think - 17 days left in January (including) and I'll aim for 13 days running, 3 days spinning and 1 yoga (just 'cause I have to start somewhere with the yoga)

HF #4362

Zelanie

Ooh, I like the idea of a consistency goal!  You're not going to give yourself even one day off, though?

I was in a bit of a funk at the start of the year because I had really worn myself out with the high mileage weeks, plus I think I do better with the structure of a plan.  But at the same time, I think my body was telling me that I needed more recovery than I had given myself time for.  Maybe you're in a similar place with the back to back halves?

redleaf

Ooh, I like the idea of a consistency goal!  You're not going to give yourself even one day off, though?

I was in a bit of a funk at the start of the year because I had really worn myself out with the high mileage weeks, plus I think I do better with the structure of a plan.  But at the same time, I think my body was telling me that I needed more recovery than I had given myself time for.  Maybe you're in a similar place with the back to back halves?

uhm yea, apparently I cannot count. I'll still try for it though - maybe run on the yoga day Wink

Mostly it'll come down to whether I can run the next day after spinning lol my second class was tonight. it was a killer. I'm trying to go once a week for now.

HF #4362

Docket_Rocket

I got a few funks especially after running a lot of marathons in 4 weeks and I really don't know how I got out of that funk (if I really got out of it).  But, I think signing up for a race in the future might help, or at least a plan to get to X point during the year.

Hope you get out of the funk soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

red, I have been in a funk too, ever since the marathon. I have slugged through some very short and painful runs that have left me wondering if I'll ever make a comeback. Last weekend was my longest run since Dec 14th, and it was 7 miles! Last week I hit 18 miles, and I should hit about 23 this week. I guess what I'm trying to say, is even though you feel like crud, still go, but just accept the shorter runs for a while. Running back-to-back halves has got to take a toll. I like the idea of setting some different types of goals, but mostly I say just go run, and pretty soon, you'll begin to remember why you love running so much.