Half Marathon Trainers

January: New Year, New Start (Read 29 times)

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 6 miles tonight.  No snow down here. 

Mitch, hope you managed to do your interval session.

milk, ayola, stay warm.

emmbee, do you know your real max?  The one that's not based on a formula?  Otherwise, the numbers don't tell you much.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DollarBill

23 inches fell at home.  Thankfully it was more on the powdery side so that trees were falling and thus ripping out the electrical lines.

At the conclusion of it, after the last shovel full was thrown, it was a really nice night-crispy cold (single digits, cyrstal clear skies, no wind) so I went for a walk.  Didn't see anyone, didn't hear anyone.  One of those infrequent moments really connected to nature.

Back at it tonight for about 45 minute run.

emmbee:  sometimes I get high readings if my chest strap is not "moistened" enough.  Or if it's placed too high will also give false high readings.  Just some suggestions to narrow down the problem.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I might have it too high -- I've had a lot of problems with placement.  If it sits below my sports bra, I can't get a good reading.  So I'm wearing it just up under the band of the bra.    Once I've got a base built up again, I'll try to find my max -- highest I've seen is 183.

No pep at all today, but hey, an hour on my feet is an hour on my feet.  This is the first time I've managed three days in a row since November, I think.  Protip: getting injured sucks!

hog4life

No injury no injury no injury no injury no injury.

I did 6.3 easy with Bella.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Ran 6 last night, 10 this morning with 2 X 2 miles @ MP.  More miles with hubby tonight, after Pilates and weights.

DollarBill, that's a lot of snow!

emmbee, keep at it.

Mitch, nice 6ish.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redleaf

slowly slowly but getting there.

I love reading what you're all doing Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

DollarBill

Morning!  Ran 6 last night, 10 this morning with 2 X 2 miles @ MP.  More miles with hubby tonight, after Pilates and weights.

DollarBill, that's a lot of snow!

emmbee, keep at it.

Mitch, nice 6ish.

Between now and noon on Saturday, we may get another 7 inches.  And my snow blower is in getting repaired.

Home to run another 40-45 minutes.

Cyberic

I might have it too high -- I've had a lot of problems with placement.  If it sits below my sports bra, I can't get a good reading.  So I'm wearing it just up under the band of the bra.    Once I've got a base built up again, I'll try to find my max -- highest I've seen is 183.

I stopped wearing mine a while ago, but when I was, the best way to get a good reading was to put some water on the rubber sensors before putting it on. Wearing the strap not too loose helps too. When the strap has a tendency to go down, the contact between the rubbers and the skin is not always at its best.

I'm far from an expert. I'm just sharing my experience with the strap.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Thanks.  It's weird that there's a learning curve with a simple strap, isn't it? Smile

I need advice.  Next week I have a 5K, part of our local winter racing circuit.   It's a legendarily hard course, very hilly (the organizer's picture in the ad for it shows people walking up the hill), and definitely not a PR course, even if I were in PR shape, which I'm not.  I'm planning to run it reasonably hard (because adrenaline), but without killing myself.

Now, I have a long run scheduled for that day.  Should I also run enough to make up the mileage?  Should I instead move the long run to the day before and just race the race and call it a day?

What would you do?

an amazing likeness

Now, I have a long run scheduled for that day.  Should I also run enough to make up the mileage?  Should I instead move the long run to the day before and just race the race and call it a day?

What would you do?

I would just flip the days, and do the long run the day before. Since the 5K course is one you're not going to run a 5K race on (you say you'll run it hard, not all out) -- the long run the day before wont have any negative impact on your 5K.

The other approach (again since you're just looking to run the 5K reasonable hard...) is to run the long run before the 5K, finishing about 20 min before the 5K...then line up and finish out your day with a hard final 5K to your long run. Not as good a long run workout, however.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Docket_Rocket

Ended up with Pilates and 4 additional miles last night.  Today, it's Pilates and 5 miles.

redleaf, slowly but surely is the way.

DollarBill, stay under the covers!

emmbee, that's why I love my TomTom with the HRM on the wrist.  I run by HR so not wearing the strap or the watch is an issue for me.  Hope you find a way to make it work.  As to the race, if you do your LR the day before the race, you will not perform the way you want.  I would do some warmup and cooldown miles and complete the distance, if that is possible.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

hog4life

16.3 mile LR with Bella and 6 friends, weather was gorgeous, 28 at the start and 40 by the time we finished. There was no wind and was partly sunny, or partly cloudy. Haha, isn't that the same thing?

I ended Jan with 106.2 which is a little low. I had a couple of weeks that were kind of low. The reduced mileage month feels good once in a while.

emmbee, I used my HRM and will post it once I download the data.

Emmbee - I would either finish off the remainder of the miles, after your 5k, in a nice slow run after the race or move the long run to a day or two later. I have done a long run super early before work on a Monday maybe twice -  when the weather or myself was not compliant on the weekend - do you have a flexible work schedule?

This weeks workouts: Monday rest, Tuesday 50 min treadmill, Wednesday spin class, Thursday weight training, Friday 30 min treadmill, today 8 miles treadmill - notice a trend? Tomorrow is a rest day.

Halifax is pretty mushy at the moment, giant puddles with a slick ice layer at the base. It continues to snow then rain then freeze so I may be running inside for a bit.

Happy Saturday night, A

Recalculating...

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Eight gorgeous miles along the river today.  It was a nice day for a run.  I ran part of the way with a friend and it's funny how much easier it is for me to pick up the pace when I'm running with someone .

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  My work schedule is very flexible so moving the long run to Monday is probably an option, but as the race start is about 5 miles from my house, I may just run home gently afterward on Saturday to complete the mileage/time.  I'd like to keep on schedule as much as possible.   Or I'll run long the day before.