Half Marathon Trainers

When do you carry Water? Fuel? (Read 768 times)

Beginner all over again

Hi

I don't carry Water for anything under 59 minutes

But I do a

:15 minute walking warm-up before every one (I don't count these minutes) and when I re-start my Garmin for the "run" portion, I do take a nice drink of water.

It's because I strip down and shed my WarmUp attire at the car where my water is.

Today I did a
    :60 minutes run

and I did carry water.

My medium runs are up to 60 mins now, so I think I will carry water for those.

My last LongRun was 80 minutes, no Fuel, just water.

This weekend LongRun will be 90 minutes -- and the climb 10 minutes every other week from now on.

I'm wondering, when should/might I start taking in Calories/fuel?

What do you do?

I think I will avoid Gels.  I think they give me the urge to potty #2 (sorry TMI)  but I'm not sure what else to carry and eat ??

Loves the outdoors

Currently I take no water or fuel for any run and I run up to just over 2 hours. In the middle of summer I would start thinking about taking water on my long runs over 90mins. If I carry water I use a handheld bottle, so I tend to avoid it if at all possible.

I am interested in what others do regarding fuel too. I never take any. I didn't in my half either, but I struggled at the end of that so I don't know whether fuel might be helpful. I'd basically prefer not to, so that's my default at the moment but I'm 4 weeks out from my next half so If I do decide to take in fuel I need to have a practice now.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

an amazing likeness

As far as food/fuel goes -- I assume that until I'm going to running 18 - 20 miles that I've got plenty of stored reserves and don't worry about gels, food, fuel.  In a race longer than a half marathon, I might be sure to drink some of the sports drink to onboard some calories.  In a training run longer 14 - 16 miles, I'll sometimes use Gatorade in place of water, if it is warm, for the electrolytes rather than the calories.  (on the other hand, I'm tubby)

For water, on a really hot day I'll do something about water or gatorade if I'm going more than 60 - 90 minutes.  Sometimes I stash a bottle ahead of time somewhere out on the route the night before, or I plan the route so that I go by a water fountain, or I run by my house midrun. I'm also not above stopping on the run and asking someone for a drink from their hose if I've underestimated the temp.  For under 90 minutes, I generally don't worry about water.

I do think weather has big impact on water -- being up north, I generally don't deal with temps much about 70F or maybe pushing up into the 80F range.  I'm sure that were I in warmer area, I'd focus more on the water.

As far as fuel goes, my understanding is that pretty much everyone has 1500 - 2000 calories available in glycogen, so no need to take in until you're getting out into 16 - 18 mile range.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I run by time and generally in the early morning. I've learned that i can rehydrate, refuel with a banana for runs up to 90 minutes in moderate weather, e.g. mid 60's. If its warmer and more humid I'll think about water or G2 somewhere after 60 minutes. When going longer than 90 minutes I know I'll need hydration and possibly fuel and will carry shot bloks or gels. Depending on where I am running I'll cycle back to my car and use it as a water stop, carry a bottle belt (24ox camelback bottle) or target known water fountains/water stops - with all the runners in Austin, the Austin Runners Club maintains some water stops along popular trails. I frequently carry a gel or shot blok as insurance and then not use it. Better safe than sorry me thinks. LOL

For me it was trial and error to figure out what I needed to do. During the summer and heat/humidity I need more hydration and fuel. Winter not as much. A lot depends on how exhausted I want to be at the end of a run. On hot, humid days I've found I am less tired if I had some G2 around 75 minutes then more every 30-45 after that, even if I don't have a gu or shot blok. Being a heart patient I also have to be sure to avoid dehydration so am very conscious of how badly I am sweating, and will slow my pace when it gets really bad (which could increase time on feet so I have to be careful).

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I'm on the fence about nutrition. During my best HMs, I did take gels, but I can't credit that for my performance. Any run longer than an hour, I'll make sure I have access to water, especially so if it is hot. One good way to measure whether you need water or not is to weigh yourself before and after a run (adjusting for water weight taken in during run), and if it is over a certain percentage of your body weight, your performance suffered (and you should be taking in more water).

Also, my understanding of the calories stored in liver/muscle glycogen is that 2k(ish) is the maximum. So, in theory, if one is properly carbo loaded for a race, nutrition shouldn't be an issue in a HM. However, for long runs, one may not be properly 'loaded', so nutrition could be an issue. Again, that's my understanding, I could very well be wrong.

I agree with what is posted so far both water and fuel seem to be, very much a YMMV situation. For me, on the water front, temperature is the main driver. If it's hot (75F+) I can go through 32oz of fluid in 10 miles (1:40). If it's cold I may drink next to nothing in the same time. That said, I always carry water. Always have. Even if I am doing 2 miles in 40F... I've got a small bottle with me. Important thing I have learnt on these forums is that if you are the type of person who always carries water you should only drink to thirst as over hydration can also be an issue. Trent says so. I've been back and forth on fuel. I used to run my long runs on a weekend morning, no breakfast, just straight out the door. I found that I really struggled after about 10 miles. If I do that now I chomp ShotBlox between about mile 5 and 7 and feel much better. If I run later in the day anything up to 15 miles I don't need any fuel.

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

me after a lot of experimenting last year have decided preperation before hand is way more important than fuel/ drink during for anything up to 1:45 running for me.

I can do a half marathon without any drink or food as long as I prepare the day before, eat heaps of carbs the afternoon/ night before, drink plenty before bed and a light breakfast and drink before the run

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Frances there are alternatives to gels, banana, dates or figs, several sorts of `candies`like Clif Bloks, Sharkies etc, and energy bars.

I have run over 3 hrs with just water but I think that`s the limit. I have never taken anything but water or sports drink in a half marathon.

I agree with the others who said temperature dictates how much water or fluid you may need, in cool weather I can easily run 1:30 or more without fluids but in hot weather would not try half of that.

If in doubt take something with you- better to have it and not need it than the opposite

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Beginner all over again

As far as fuel goes, my understanding is that pretty much everyone has 1500 - 2000 calories available in glycogen, so no need to take in until you're getting out into 16 - 18 mile range.

Thanks

Does it matter Mileage or Time?

I'm pretty sure I'm literally Half As Fast as a lot of you here.

I'd likely run 9 while you run 18

or is it the same regardless of time?  Blush

Beginner all over again

I frequently carry a gel or shot blok as insurance and then not use it. Better safe than sorry me thinks. LOL

I used to do that too -- I'd forgotten! 

Thanks for reminding me !

I was just thinking, a couple days ago I did my 80 minute MAF and didn't think twice about wanting Fuel during or after.

This weekend in 90 mins

I'll see whether I notice a Brain Fog or spacey feeling again

I keep close to MAF, maybe it's low enough for me, who knows!

But my LongRuns will increase in duration -- I was just thinking ahead

Thanks for your patience and info everyone!!

More comments welcome

an amazing likeness

Thanks

Does it matter Mileage or Time?

I'm pretty sure I'm literally Half As Fast as a lot of you here.

I'd likely run 9 while you run 18

or is it the same regardless of time?  Blush

I believe it is a mileage thing. The calories burned per mile are fairly consistent, regardless of pace/mile.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Former runner

The only time I worry about water on runs is during the warm months. I like to plan my route around water fountains in public parks. It saves me the hassle of having to carry a water bottle with me.

I've been gradually getting away from eating anything on my long runs. I used to take some gels or snacks with me when my runs would be 2 hours or more but now I usually try to eat a light snack before heading out. I find that trying to eat gels or anything with a bunch of carbs during a run is hard on my system. For me there is an certain time frame after eating where I can go for a long run and feel fine. My last HM I mostly drank water and the 1 time I took gatorade it was a bit hard on my stomach until I could get some more water to wash it down.

Ross