Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - January 2012 (Read 501 times)

HAPPY NEW YEAR - HALF MARATHON TRAINERS!! Big grin

So, we're off and running for 2012

Rest day for me today so my running year won't start until tomorrow.... behind those pace bunnies already!

Meg's log shows a new 5k PR in temps of -14C (7F) - way to start the year Meg! Smile

Peter how did your race go today?

What about goals for the year everyone? Are you setting any?

For me here are the goals:

• 2000km (1243 Miles) for the year
    • 100 miles a month - every month
    • Sub 1:50 for the Half
    • Sub 4:00 for the Marathon

There's a bunch of other stuff I want or need to do along the way but these will do for 2012 goals.

Looking forward to an awesome running year for all in 2012!

Cheers

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks, Matt! Always nice to have my log stalked! LOL! Yeah, about 3 minutes PR, I think so I'm really happy to start out the year that way (or continue on from last year).

My running goals for 2012 are....

* mileage goal 675 miles, stretch goal 725 miles.

* PR in two races (how fun to have 1 of 2 already on this one!)

I'm really working on trying to maintain fitness over winter and I think that's a big factor in how I PR'd this morning. 5K is a distance I run a lot in the winter, but rarely one I race. I had a really good year in 2011 for running (hit both my mileage goal and my stretch goal, PR'd 10K twice for a combined total of 3m36s and PR'd Half by 6m40s.) I'm hoping I can keep finding success with improving my fitness and my finishing times.

Happy New Year to All of You! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Happy new year!

Congrats Meg on your huge PR.

Matt-thanks for asking. It went very well. I beat my 10 year old 10k PR by 80 seconds. Pacing was nearly perfect, never felt like I was going to die-things are definitely going in the right direction. I'm still updating my report as I reflect more on how it went, but this race likely raises just as many questions as it answered, with respect to my February HM.

HappyFeat

Happy New Year everyone and good luck in reaching all our goals this year.

My goals for the coming year  are kind of to keep doing what I'm doing. Work on averaging 35 mpw, continue working at getting comfortable with all four of my weeknight runs being an hour, get really comfortable with my 12-mile "big hills route." 

I'm not working on speed right now at all because I don't feel up to it lately since making Tues/Thurs 6 miles each and haven't managed that very often yet due to other commitments. When I feel ready though, I'll go back to making my Wednesday night run a tempo run and try to keep it there. I might be starting a class on Tuesday nights, so there will go that run...my gameplan may have to change..we'll see.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

If anyone is in need of motivation, watch this youtube video:

http://youtu.be/RSPnV6HeMx0

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Happy New Year everyone, and congrats to Meg and Peter on your big PRs!

I've set myself a lot of tentative goals for 2012 - some smaller, some bigger:

• 5:30 mile (current PR 5:49)
              • 19:30 5k (current PR 19:52)
              • 33:30 8k (current PR 36:30)
              • 42:00 10k (never raced)
              • 1:15:00 10-mile (never raced)
              • 1:45:00 half-marathon (never raced!)
              • 1000 miles (reach goal 2000k)

These sort of fit well together - I'll need to increase weekly distance to train for the 10-miler and HM, which will also help my mile, 5k, 8k, and 10k in the process. I've averaged close to 30mpw the last few weeks, and I'd like to try to maintain that for as much of the year as possible.  My HM plan has me building up to around 35mpw so we'll see how I respond to the extra mileage.

On a side note, I had an awesome progression run to finish 2011.  Ran 6-miles at steady pace (mid 8s), then 1 mile in a fast but controlled 6:50.  Considering that's just 25s off my 5k PR pace, I'm optimistic about my goals going into the new year and wondering if I could set my HM goal a bit lower (maybe sub-1:40:00 as a reach goal).  The run was my first 7-miler, my first run over an hour in length, and ended my first 100-mile month.

Look forward to an exciting 2012 with you all!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I haven't thought much about goals yet to be honest.  January is just when I get out with the family and enjoy the fitness built up over the year.

Most of you would have seen the video I made of the 57km hike/run I did with my daughters a month ago on the Hillary trail along the west coast of Auckland in New Zealand.  Well today we went back to complete what we missed and did the inland section of the trail which is 21km.   After recent heavy rain the famous Waitakere Ranges mud monster had been at work and it sure was a battle of attrition in some places! Just under 6 hours hard work on some rough and steep trail.

Anyway here is my video of today.  I hope you enjoy it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=990k0GIr5uI

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Jan 2, and the first fight with the wife over running time has already happened...definitely time for me to go back to work, and the kids to go back to school.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Goals for 2012, still kinda loose, but in addition to keeping on running (part of keep on keeping on!) I'd like to finish the 3M Marathon on 1/29, maybe with a PB and then revisit the Decker Challenge Half in December - that's the one that destroyed my calves and rt achilles and started me into the dumps for most of 2011 (compounded by burying myself up my butt after learning I had been exposed to Agent Orange during two tours in Nam and its influence on my heart and other health conditions).

• Finish 3M Half, maybe with a PB
                    • Finish Decker Challenge in Dec
                    • Run the Cap 10K in Mar barefoot
                    • Keep on running
                    • lose some darned weight! LOL

Started the year with a 2mi barefoot recovery walk yesteday and cross training at the gym this morning, 30 min C2 rower w/intervals; 15 min bike; 23 min dreadmill walk.

Keep on keeping on! 

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Goals for the new year are always motivating, so here are mine:

• 80 miles per month

• PR in Wineglass Half

• run an April HM

• lose 10 stubborn pounds in order to 

• improve speed

I've been doing speed work at the Y on a treadmill which is kind of fun - I thought the treadmill would be horrible but between high winds and no sunlight it seems like it will keep me running over the next couple of months. 

The days are getting longer - in the northern hemisphere anyway! Happy New Year everyone.

Ok. Back at work, and life back to normal.

Goals for 2012:

- no mileage goal. I still can't bring myself to make mileage a goal. I'll get in what I can get in.

- more trail runs (AT runs by my house, and I have so much fun out there)

- stay healthy (this is related to that mileage thing, but has more to do with not stacking workouts and making easy days deliberately easy)

Racing goals:

- 5k = 17:30

- 10K = 37:30

- HM =  sub 1:30 (with a stretch of 1:27)

- M = 3:10?

13 weeks till the first crack at the HM goal...

Finally feels like winter around here (at least for 2 days). Can't believe Sunday I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I'm still getting into shape as a runner and my 2012 goals are mostly to running consistently and mixing in enough racing to bridge the gaps in motivation.  I'll probably do 2 or 3 HMs this year, with my first one in Houston in less than 2 wks.  I'm really psyched about watching the marathon Trials...should be awesome!

Overall, for 2012 my goals look something like this:

• > 2000 miles
                          • < 1:45 Half PR
                          • < 22:00 5k PR

I started making a list of goals, and I realized that the one that means the most, and will likely influence all of the others, is to increase my default frequency from three or four runs per week to five or six. I'm already there, it is just a matter of keeping it up as I just started.

I will throw out there the normal dream goals that I have every year: 19, 40, 90.

vegefrog

My main goal is to KEEP RUNNING! I have stopped and started so many times since running track in HS that it's just silly. I love to run, it sucks to start up again after stopping so why ever stop?  So my goal is to reach 1000 miles for the year.

This is the first time since being coached in HS I've ever had an actual structured running plan/log so I think that will help a lot!

I would love for 2012 to bring me:

sub 25:00 for 5K

sub 55:00 for 10K

sub 115 lbs Smile

I want to run my first half marathon (in 2 weeks) hopefully in 2:15 but feeling comfortable ( too close to marathon to really race it without risk of injury)

I want to run my first marathon ( Feb 18th) doing whatever it takes to finish with my sister and still be able to walk/drink a beer afterwards

I want to race my second half marathon in April, hopefully coming close to the 2 hour mark.

Happy New Year!!!

I love this Jan thread - some great goals set out and already 2 for 2 with PRs in races. Well done Peter & Meg! Smile

HF - Nice video, I watched it last night and drew on some of that inspiration during my run today (read below you'll see why!)

Vino - awesome video! You really do live in a great part of the world and your kids are amazing!

I will share with you all my cautionary tale from this morning. Garmin addicts…. heads up! Smile

I have had my Garmin Forrunner 405 for three and a half years now. I love it, love the data, but have never really used it for anything other than HR, Pace & Distance. All the gear and no idea!

You very quickly learn that the instantaneous pace display on the Garmin is next to useless (it jumps all over the place) so like many others I set the watch to Auto Lap/Split at one mile and watch my split pace for any given mile. Over time you get very used to the correlation between pace and HR  e.g. for me 70% HRR & 9:25 pace = All Good. 70% HRR & 10:25 pace = not enough sleep, getting sick or getting fat!

Well I have set my goals to get faster but I am about at the limit of the number of miles I can put in for any given week (~30 to 35) and so that means starting to do some “speed” work.

One of the workouts Higdon recommends is a Tempo Run. Start easy, build to half a mile at 10k pace about 2/3rds of the way through the work out and then back down again. To me a Tempo run for the longest time has been a run at a constant race-ish pace so I’ve called this one a progression run if you look at my log

Now these Garmins can do all kinds of funky cool things and I figure I’ll try some of them out. So last night, I set up all my “Pace Zones” (Easy, No Mans Land, HM, 15k, 10k, 5k, Too Fast, etc!!), I set the watch up to do 2 miles “EASY” pace + 3.5 Miles “10k” Pace + 0.5 Miles “EASY” again. At the time I was thinking the EASY parts will be the warm up & cool down and I will just look at the Pace display on the watch during the “10k” part to do the progression bit of the run.

Here’s what actually happened this morning:

It was damn cold for Texas, 27F/-3C. This has nothing to do with my tale but I had to add this as  just do not know how you folks up north do this winter running thing up there!

I started off at an easy pace. I knew it was easy because the Garmin said “EASY” in big letters across the screen. No drama. Big grin

At 2 miles it clicks over to “10k” pace and starts chirping at me to “Speed up”. For the next few miles I think no big deal as I am speeding up, progressing if you will, to get to my 10k pace.

The watch sticks in “NO MANS LAND” pace, telling me I am between my Easy and HM pace. “Speed Up” it says; I keep plugging onwards.

Just after 3 miles I struggle into “HM” pace. this is hard, way harder than it should be. My HR is really high.  “Speed Up”, “Speed Up”, “Speed Up”! cries the watch!

Now I am worried, the one thing I did not do in my marathon training was any speed work. In fact I never ran much faster than my marathon pace all training cycle. I have forgotten how to run fast!

Still, no pain, no gain! As I push towards mile 4 I kick the pace as hard as I can. The needle stays firmly in the “HM pace” zone of the watch. “Speed Up”, “Speed Up”, “Speed Up”!

This is depressing I am meant to run 13.1 miles at this pace and I can’t even do one. Something is not right (with me)

I press on, going all out, for half a mile, the needle creeps into the “15k pace” zone. “Speed Up”, “Speed Up”, “Speed Up” - I can’t keep this up, my HR is through the roof (over 190) and I crash out to a very easy pace with about one mile to go… no progression back down there!

As I trundle on home I am thoroughly depressed and disgusted at such a crappy workout. After a full cycle of marathon training and a restful December, I cannot even reach my 10k pace, let alone 5k pace, for any period of time at all – I suck. Angry

Then I start to notice a couple of things. Even though I am trundling along at a very easy pace the watch says I am still going at “HM pace” – eh? Confused

The watch keeps on chirping “Speed Up” until 0.5 miles from home where it clicks back to EASY and is content with the pace I am trundling along at.

Now I look down ¼ mile from home and I am not far off the time I would need for a 10k PR… and I am cruising the last mile.. and I ran EASY the first 2? Eh? What the…? ConfusedConfused

I get home and I am completely confused… and I am tired. I’ve just run 6 miles in under 53 mins and I didn’t hit 10k pace once???

On uploading the data I can finally see what happened. In its super advanced workout mode the Garmin removes the auto split/lap feature and sets the splits to match the sections of the workout. So all the time it is telling me to “speed up” it’s trying to get my average pace over the whole middle 3.5 miles up in the “10k pace” range. Black eye

I ended up running that all out half mile in the middle at under 7:00/mile, way faster than even my 5k pace. Next time I will actually have to set the progression up in the watch to step through the pace zones to 10k and then back down again to EASY so it works properly!

In the end it was a ass-kicking of a workout (which I probably needed) but it was not a well controlled one and I will be sore tomorrow. Hopefully not too sore for some recovery miles just to stay on plan Hopefully some of will avoid my mistake, those who can’t learn from it hopefully get a few grins at my expense! Clown

So know your equipment people … it’ll mess with your head if you don’t! Big grin

Side note – The words “speed” and “fast” in this post are used as relative terms… all you speedsters out there can button it! Wink

Keep on rolling folks …. Just not too fast!

2017 Goals
                                1) Run more than 231 miles
                                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring