Half Marathon Trainers

Galloway, 3 days a week, Tue/Thur :30 min runs -- does it work? (Read 1389 times)

Beginner all over again

Galloway, 3 days a week, Tue/Thur :30 min runs -- does it work? I'm assuming it does because it's widely published, but I was so surprised to see only 3 runs per week, and Tu/Th are only :30 minutes each. My plan is to do this schedule. Has anyone used the Galloway HM to finish Training? Cool

Teresadfp

One day at a time

No, I used his run/walk for the actual HM, but not his training. That seems really light for a half. How much mileage a week would that be? Probably less than I'm doing now (18-20 mpw), and I know I'm too light. But I have a few months to ramp up still.

IMKY13 finish!!

I concur with Teresa. I use the Galloway method of run/walk/run during my training and half marathons. Right now, during my training runs, I typically will run 5 minutes and walk one minute (5/1 splits). During my last HF however, I ran 1 mile and walked 45 seconds through the race. On Saturdays when I do a short/easy run of 3 miles, I’ll usually run the entire way…that way when I do a 5K I can run the entire race. The Galloway method does wrork…if it were not for his method, I probably wouldn’t be running. As far as mileage per week…I would suggest around 25 to 30 MPW or so for HM training. Consider that your longest long run will be around 10 to 12 miles and that your long runs should be around 35-40% of total miles for week…that would put it right around 28-30 miles for the week. Good luck with your training!!!!

MTA=Corrected a couple of typos

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Good for you for making the decision to take up running, Frances. For your first half you just want to make sure you finish; just follow the suggestions above. If you enjoy it you may want to race more and improve your time- then you will want to train more.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Beginner all over again

Thanks, everyone !

or your first half you just want to make sure you finish;

Well, yes, to a certain extent.

I don't exactly want to run a   4 hour HM  though either . 

I simply don't wish to spend that much time on my feet on race day (just a personal preference )

I'd rather wait  until my pace creeps up to run the HM. 

Do ya'll just pretty much figure your estimated finish time by your Long Run paces then ?

Sorry about not getting back to answer that question.

Your long ruin pace can give a pretty good indication of your race pace.

If your long run is about 10 miles then you can probably run that fast for 13.1 miles in a race because of the excitement, crowd cheering you on, extra motivation etc.

If you have a particular goal time then your long run will probably peak at 13 miles or more, and in that case you will aim to race faster than your long run.

I had a definite goal of under 2 hours for my first half, so I did several time trials to see if I could make it. I ran 4 days a week, with a rest day before and after my long run.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Simon - "long ruin pace" - I like that! 

Beginner all over again

Thanks, Everyone !

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Frances, how is your training going?

Beginner all over again

Frances, how is your training going?

Thanks for asking!  :-)

I haven't been around, but other than missing most runs in October, I am back out there still only 3 days a week Gallo-Walking my way to a Half Marathon mid-2010

Yesterday, my longest run, and at a "fast" pace for me

9 miles 

11:35 average pace overall

Jog 4 minutes, Walk 1 minute

I'm way ahead of my training schedule http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html 

so I think I will just do every Long Run twice or maybe build milage over the 14 mark....we'll see how it goes.

I tend to always under-do it, I am not that ambitious in training.

.....still injury free though......

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Frances,

I used Gallo-walking to allow healing IT band overtraining injury while training for first hm. I trained from April to Nov mostly using 1/1 for a 13 pace runner. Am increasing ration now tha tI have established a solid base.

At my age (63) Galloway recommends only running 3x/wk, long run and 2 30 min runs. I modified that somewhat and decided to run 40-60 min during the week and slowly extend my long run time to over 3 hrs, which was my hm streatch goal. I've run 2 hm's now, finishing both within 40 sec of each other, centered pretty much on 3hrs, even tho the second was very hilly and more challenging.

I haven't yet added in any real hill or speed work and have married low heart rate with Gallo-walking as a way to increase my running time with an overall goal of reaching 7hrs/wk w/o injury. I am not focusing on miles but as pace improves that should get me into the 25-30mpw range. Major thing is to do it w/o injury. The last time I reached a >70 mi month I injured myself because I had been doing to much speed work etc.

Current plan is to do maf-10 runs 2x/wk which are mostly continuous running for 60+ min, maf-20 walk/jog 2x/wk, and a long run using gallo-walking that I gradually extend once again from 90 min to 180 min. some might think wanting to run for 3hrs in training, but it has been working for me and I am listening to my bod better than last winter and spring! I can finish all the runs without any soreness and that is my goal. I was sore after the races, but then I was running at an overall pace that was 2min faster than during training runs.

If you keep taining at your lates pace you should be ready fo a hm in the near future, and finish in grand time too!

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Beginner all over again

If you keep training at your lates pace you should be ready for a  hm  in the near future, and finish in grand time too!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the note on sharing your experience

I am going to try to maintain Training Pace, but and see whether my HR will come down as the "same run same pace" gets easier.

I am tempted to go to R/W  5/1 on my Slow/Short Runs....which I tend to do Four Slow/Short Runs and then a LongRun....

I'm kind of making this up as I go along...              

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I'm kind of making this up as I go along...              

Aren't we all!

I just posted my latest long run results in the lhr forum. After warming up I ran 5mi @maf-10; hr=97, and held a relatively steady pace before cooling down. I credit all that Gallowalking for allowing me to build the endurance so I could even take a shot at continuous running. I finished with no recovery needed since no lactic acid was generated. not sure what I'll do for next race - 2/27/10. Will figure out as I go along. Might do Gallowalking, or continuous jog at target hr's.

bob e v
                            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Beginner all over again

I started this thread 11 months ago.

I did have to take off 6 weeks around the Holidays because for some reason my foot hurt.

But I've been slowly making a come-back since early this year.

I did my last earlier long run this week.

I'm supposed to do one more long run, but this week's LR really did me in, so I'm just going to do light maintenance training until the starting line in a few weeks, just to play it safe

I'm on the border of overtraining so I'm just going to Take It Easy

I'm slow anyway, will finish at the end of Age Group, Age Grade, so nothing lost by easing up.

Bobev - I am going to switch to LHR also  now that I"d done my Galloway Year with the days off and the Walk Breaks.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm sure you aren't as slow as you think and your smart training is goinng to help you finish! What half are you doing next month? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.