Half Marathon Trainers

February (Read 59 times)

Bad weather has caused me to skip a few runs this week, but I managed 45 minutes on the exercise bike last night.

Snow shoveling today!

Hope the rest of you are not as affected.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

I ended this week with a little over 18. It was one of the toughest weeks in a very long time. The week started with some travel, 3 days of Hazwoper an High Angle Rescue training. Probably 30 trips up and down the stairs of a 6 story building, pulling on ropes, repelling from the 6 story building, taped up inside a full chemical suit with an air pack on(SCBA). and combine all of that with not sleeping good in a hotel bed, it's no wonder I've had a rough week. Tonight was supposed to be a 10 mile LR, but I cut it short. I actually felt decent, just didn't want to push, since I've been so exhausted all week. I have about decided on a 8:35-8:45 pace for next weekends HM.

Mitch

HappyFeat

It was one of the toughest weeks in a very long time.

That sounds like an Understatement! You're wise to adjust your running to accommodate your extracurricular demands.Smile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

DR: gotta watch those buses. Growing up in NYC we had to avoid them all the time. Didn't think much about it until we moved to Austin which has wide bus availability so am once again on the lookout! Glad to hear ya avoided the asthma attack. No fun.

Jerry: I know how boring it can be, but have you thought of using dreadmill for LR?

Simon: I don't miss the snow I can tell ya that. I was in norther CT for the blizzard of 78 w/o a garage or car port to protect our cars... ah such memories!

Mitch: what a week! I got exhausted just reading about it. I went thru disaster recovery training in 66 between tours in 'Nam. I know the chemical suits are better now but dang! what a pain. I remember sweat bubbling in my gas mask under my chin during one exercise. Backing down on the mileage sounds like a smart move after such a week.

I had a great taper LR yesterday. Did 2mi easy @14 pace then ran 6 with the 10 mi (r/w=3/1) training group - a bunch of young ladies (I'm the only guy and an old man at that! LOL). Got caught up in conversation and stayed with the lead group until the last  uphill 1/2 mi when I realized my HR was getting to high, >90%, especially for a long run, so walked thru an interval up the hill before running again. Overall pace was 12:30 which is my 10K PB and I stayed conversational throughout. I thanked those ladies for a great run. Am encouraged that I might have a shot at a PB at next weeks Austin Half. Need to beat 2:55

Ya'll keep on keeping on.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Zelanie

Bob- Sounds like a great LR!

I finished up another successful week of my training plan.  39.5 miles total, 3-4 weeks left until peak mileage, 8 weeks until my race.  I am adjusting my plan to be a tad easier than what Pfitz laid out- this week I was 2.5 miles short of the "official" total mileage including a LR of "only" 12 instead of 13.  But I'm trying to build at a similar rate to what he has in his plan.  Next week, for example, he has as the same mileage as this week, and I will pretty much stay the same except that I will go up the .5 to get to 40 MPW.

With those adaptations, I feel like things are clicking along really nicely.  I really can feel the gain in my endurance lately.  This coming week is a tempo week.  I know I have the fitness for a good tempo run.  Now let's just see if my brain will cooperate!  And finding the time to schedule the LRs can be tough!  I'm up to about 2 hours now.  Time to figure out water and fueling I guess.  I haven't done either yet. 

Do folks prefer a handheld or a fuel belt?

hog4life

Zelanie, I use a handheld and GU when needed. Sometimes I will stash stuff in my mailbox, my neighborhood loop is 5 miles, so it's convenient for the 2nd, and/or 3rd loop. For my upcoming half, they have water, gatorade, Gu at various mile markers, so I will only carry some GU during my race. And that will be just in case I don't like their flavor.

vegefrog

I had a 6 mile tempo run scheduled for today, but I decided to change things around.  I felt like I needed one of those let you mind wander, therapeutic-type runs, so that's what I did.  Ran an easy 7.4 miles in the dark, not paying attention to any sort of pace, just went with the flow and cleared my mind.  It was nice and just what I needed!  I'll probably just do the tempo tomorrow.

Love those just let your mind go runs Smile That's what it's all about!!

I've been leaving my watch and MP3 player at home more and more for runs these days and loving it!

Zelanie, I like my handheld. It's like an extension of my hand, I don't even notice it. It has a pocket that I can stash my sports beans in if I'm going over 15 miles. I usually just refill it at water fountains along the way Smile

Zelanie

Thanks for the tips.  I might like a handheld since I do like my knuckle lights!  As long as I don't need both on the same run I should be fine!

Ran my first ever 4-mile tempo tonight.  I was a bit nervous since I hadn't ever run more than 2 tempo miles without taking a recovery.  So I decided to take it a bit easy on the first two and then bump it up each mile from there just to help me avoid the mental wall of worrying about whether I could complete it.  So my tempo miles (on the TM) were 8:57, 8:57, 8:49, 8:42.  I'll take it!  Total run was 7 miles with warmup and cooldown.

Sounds like you are running well, Bob! Keep it up.

Zelanie, I would try picking up a handheld bottle at a running store, and trying on a fuel belt and try to imagine running with either of them. The only problem with the belt is the bottles are small, even if you get the optional large bottles they hold little water or sports drink for a hot day. But very comfortable.

There is also an angled holder for a large bottle but I find it less comfortable. I don't personally think you need Gu or other food for a half marathon, but I guess people have different preferences on this.

Poor weak for me last week, and I have to work 6 days this week, will have to see what I can do.

I have scrapped my plans for a 10k on May 12th and will run a HM on May 5th instead, Goodlife Fitness Toronto.

Skipped some of my runs last week including the long run so did it today, 22kms in 2 hours.

hog4life

6.25 miles this afternoon with 6x400's at 5k-3k pace. Just two more easy runs before Sunday's race. This week and last week have been tough, lots of stuff going on plus working nights doesn't help. I'm planning to rest as much as possible in between everything.

daneda

Got 6.5 miles in last night in the snow.  When I left the house the flakes were HUGE!! They kept hitting me in the face.  But it died down to a regular snowfall.  It was a nice run.  Temps actually weren't too bad.

Love those just let your mind go runs Smile That's what it's all about!!

I've been leaving my watch and MP3 player at home more and more for runs these days and loving it!

I rarely take my mp3 player with me anymore.  I've gotten to the point where it's just nice to either let my mind wanter on easy/long runs or just focus on a difficult workout.  For some reason I reached a place where music seemed to be demotivating me...  If that makes sense...

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Sorry for being MIA but I had to finish a complaint on Monday that took me weeks to prepare so that screwed up my whole weekend.  Also, I had a bout of severe asthma so I took off from running to recover.  I wish I had taken some time off from work but I couldn't and that delayed my recovery from the asthma issues.  I have a marathon this weekend so I'm just tapering a bit and trying to get my breathing to as high a number as I can (I think it was at below 50% on Monday).  But apart from that, everything is going well.

Zelanie, I have used both but I prefer the handheld.  I used to run with handhelds all the time, but now i run without even for marathons.  Carrying anything in my hips in hot and  humid weather is not good so when I need to, I use a handheld.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Snickers1230

Hey, I haven't checked in for a while so I'm not able to read all the posts right now.  I'm going to try to get better about checking in at least once-twice a day.  I really enjoy coming here and reading what everyone else is doing and for the support.  It's just hard to get on at work because I've been really busy lately.  And I spend all day at work in front of a computer.  So even if I have intentions of getting on when I get home, I hardly ever turn on the computer at home (especially during the week).

I hope everyone's February is going well so far.  I started out better than I finished January.  I've had a couple easy runs this week to get ready for my half on Sunday.  I was really disappointed with the half I did in December.  But I was expecting that one to not go well since my training had been almost non existent in the later part of October and November.  So I really started training better after that half, and with the exception of a couple weeks, this was a really good training cycle for me.  My half PR right now is 2:43Tight lippedx.  I'm feeling confident that I can beat that this weekend and will be shooting to go for sub 2:40

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

bpink76

Snickers1230 - Good luck this weekend.  Have a GREAT race!

2013 Goals:

5K: 25:00

10K: 52:00

Half: 2:00:00