Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racer - June 21 (Read 13 times)

Zelanie

June 21, 2014 milktruck Close to the Coast 10K 10K Freeport, ME <46:00 or course PB  

Monster hills, plus apple pie for AG awards

I was just updating the calendar, and I saw this.  Hope that milktruck is already chowing down on a tasty apple pie!

hog4life

Oh, good luck MT!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Fleet feet, MT! Hope you got the pie! Smile That's awesome!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Wow...thanks for the thread, Zelanie . That's really nice of you.

I missed on both goals -- posted a 46:25 which was good for 13th place overall (small race, about 200 runners in the 10K), but only good enough for 4th in AG. So missed a pie award.

This is a tough little race course -- it starts out flat on dirt roads for 1 mi, then is steady climbs and rolly polly for the next 4 mi with a section on single-track path through the woods, then back down the hill to a flat finish...but about 0.5mi of the final is on woods paths (bark mulch) with lots of roots and rocks.

After the climb from 1.3 to 1.8mi, we ended up pretty strung out and I couldn't seem to gain on the runner in front of me -- the gap would change a bit, but he would gap me on the downhill sections. So it was pretty much a "time trial" self-paced run from 2 - 5 miles. At around 5.5 miles, on the person behind me caught up as I was being fairly careful about the footing in the forest path section...I let him by and just tucked in on his shoulder. We popped out of the woods onto the final dirt road section, and it looked like he was in the same age group, so I had to pass him. But when?  Too early and he outruns me, too late and he out sprints me....so I waited until there was about 0.25 mi and then pulled out suddenly as we passed some late finishers from the 5K, and built a gap until I couldn't hold the pace and started to fade. He was coming...coming, I could hear his footsteps as we turned the last corner. But held on to beat him by a few seconds. Whew!

Turned out he was in a different age group, and won a pie for himself, so all's good. But the actual racing - deciding when to go and trying push him from behind -- was fun, or at least different than just running in a crowd for time.

Just a beautiful day for a road race, high 60s, clear sky, dry air and a lovely oceanside course ending in at a family fun day bbq event. About 400 runners between the 5K and 10K and all the money goes to the local Rotary club's scholarship fund.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Nice job MT.   The other guy probably got his award because you pushed him.  good stuff!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Milk!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

I've never raced for position yet. Always for time. Actually I did try to win one position my last race but ended up the same distance behind the guy in front of me as for most of the race. My last push was equal to his last push

Must be nice to win one or two positions at the end like that. From hanging around this forum, I might end up racing more often Smile

Zelanie

Sounds like an awesome finish!  Sorry you missed the pie, though.